Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 02:47 AM

2 posts, read 12,582 times

Advertisements

Did anyone see what went on? I live directly in front of where it happened and i was awoken by about 20 gunshots. I stayed low in bed though, because I thought it was directly outside my bedroom window, thats how loud the gunshots were. I then heard a male voice saying help. After the cops arrived, from what I saw it seemed like the person was dead; the ambulance stayed there for half an hour and it would seem to me that if the person was still alive they would be rushing him/her to the ER. From the street where the person was shot, it most likely was a drug deal gone wrong, since thats what that street is notorious for. Is any other lauderhill native tired of this? When will crime stop?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 07:12 AM

1,086 posts, read 3,359,640 times
Just another happy day in Lauderhill.

Old 10-27-2009, 01:28 PM

59 posts, read 115,330 times
Crime stops when the thug culture and 'snitches get stitches' mentality gets torn down. I love when people have family members get murdered but rather than tell us who did it they refuse to talk because people will call them a snitch.. LOL!! I love it. Maybe they'll all just kill each other and make my job easier.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:30 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,048,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFlaLEO View Post
Crime stops when the thug culture and 'snitches get stitches' mentality gets torn down. I love when people have family members get murdered but rather than tell us who did it they refuse to talk because people will call them a snitch.. LOL!! I love it. Maybe they'll all just kill each other and make my job easier.

burn out

just kidding leo. What area do you work for ?

Old 10-28-2009, 10:00 AM

157 posts, read 487,538 times
I`m no expert for sure and I`m just speculating on what I felt when Lauderdale lakes and Lauderhill changed. And if anyone things I`m full of beans they are probably right.

Lauderhill was a nice area back in the early 70`s. It was the western suburbs with apartments and townhouses. Sort of a new thing for the suburbs. There was the Jackie Gleason inverrary golf classic. Jackie Gleason and friends were often there playing golf.
Then western sprawl continued. New suburbia`s popped up. The townhouses and apartments did not go over very big. The townhouses and apartments were sold as people wanted new single family homes in brand new developments out west. Then in the late 70`s there was a large migration from the caribbean islands. Most were unskilled and uneducated. The more affordable and undesirable apts.,townhomes and finally
single family homes were bought by many of them and now many locals could afford them too. There seemed to be a clash between groups and nationalities. I knew many people who bought drugs in lauderhill and eastern sunrise. Mind you this was in the late 70``s Gangs became evident.IMO things have not changed.

Old 05-21-2010, 07:41 AM

2 posts, read 9,707 times
hey dade, We live in a capitalist nation. its a dog eat dog world for us in the U.S. This is what those fat cats in wallstreet(rep) are fighting for.. why do you think they invest so much in police force and the narcotics department instead of education.They anticipated there would be crime in a capitalist society. What happen to they guys that cant keep up with wallstreet. the regular people. they're stuck at minimum wage being slaves to corp america. Let's forget minimum wage for a second. i get paid 30k+ a year no kids and single and still need some type of side work (legal or not) to keep up with the rising cost of living, of south florida. So your wrong [mod]snip[/mod] crime doesnt stop with thug culture, Crime stops when you keep capitalism out of your government.

Last edited by fauve; 05-21-2010 at 08:50 AM..

Old 05-24-2010, 10:27 AM

49 posts, read 133,297 times
Hmmm...crime comes from a lot of factors the poor are vulnerable, the wealthy are vulnerable, those who have untreated mental illnesses are very vulnerable...those are the main ones committing the crimes, those who are drug addicts are vulnerable, but most of those are those who have untreated mental illnesses and self medicate with illegal drugs or improper use of legal drugs.

Our society needs to invest in improving our mental health facilities and taking care of our mental health.

70% or more of Americans have an untreated mental illnesses. And we wonder why crime is so high. We have been neglecting our mental health. Improving our financial state or providing more jail time or other punishments are not going to work, unless we improve our nations mental state. Welfare reform, the 3 strikes..etc..etc...is not going to help if peoples minds "ain't" right.

Old 05-24-2010, 06:33 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,173,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoCoGirl View Post
70% or more of Americans have an untreated mental illnesses. And we wonder why crime is so high. We have been neglecting our mental health. Improving our financial state or providing more jail time or other punishments are not going to work, unless we improve our nations mental state. Welfare reform, the 3 strikes..etc..etc...is not going to help if peoples minds "ain't" right.
This thread is going all over the place...but I'll add in, and extend it to further reaches.

The DIET as well...fast-food galore, obesity, etc. Every corner store filled with every candy imagineable, but getting an orange is much more challlenging. All that junk food...drives up health costs and health issues...and makes your mind and body complete mush as well.

ADDING to the corporate aspects. I've also noticed in the States, it is nearly impossible for anyone to be entrepreneur about anything. It's like we're all required to work for a corporation, or you're out.

I.e. without a company, you have no health insurance...you're screwed. It's tied to working at a corporation.

Additionally, no one can start a business off the street. For example, a KEY KIOSK...if someone wanted to do that in their neighborhood...they'd be locked up or criminalized for it. Our society would rather have a person be homeless or in jail, than start a little business that was low cost and without an enormous amount of red tape loopholes the person would have to spend a fortune figuring out and manipulating to do something as simple as a 'bagel stand' or a 'key kiosk' type of thing in their own neighborhood.

-----

Personally, since our society is so corporate-oriented...we just have masses left on the wayside trying to fend for themselves...and...well, this is the results.

I'd advocate making legit small business more accessable and available to more people though. Everything is also zoned so strictly...a person has to drive way over to some other part of their towns/cities to go to work as well...or if they wanted to have a business. Why not have restaurants and businesses within the residential areas as well?

As a nation founded on small business, it's incredible how little of it exists compared to most anywhere else on earth. Speaking of corner stores, kiosks, entrepreneurship on a family level - as opposed to everyone expected to get a MBA and land an expense account type of job just to survive in America.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:50 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,707,891 times
Unable to rep you again so soon Tiger, but just had to tell you that was a brilliant post! I agree 300%!

Old 05-25-2010, 09:30 PM

13 posts, read 29,768 times
Ugh Lauderhill. Unfortunately it doesn't surprise me. I work near Stiles and the number of shootings and hit and runs I've physically witnessed is more then anyone would ever see in a life time.

Anyway, just another lovely day I suppose :/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area