Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 02:31 PM

85 posts, read 586,963 times

Advertisements

Tell me about Weston!! I mean tell me all you can! In one month we are deciding where are we going either north of Atlanta or Weston!
We have 2 small boys! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2007, 03:00 PM

201 posts, read 983,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonbaby View Post
Tell me about Weston!! I mean tell me all you can! In one month we are deciding where are we going either north of Atlanta or Weston!
We have 2 small boys! Thanks!
Weston is a very nice upscale suburb of Ft.Lauderdale , very diverse in that it is approximately 45 % White American , 45% Hispanic and 10% other including Asians and Indians ( Hindus ) . It is for the most part affluent and you do not see or hear the hateful vile between Americans and Hispanics like you do in Miami and other areas , mainly because average incomes and education levels are high so most people get along just fine . Schools are highly rated , parks and sports leagues are excellent as well as shopping and restaurants and it is one of the safest cities in South Florida . Still a large Jewish , New York population among White Americans , but also a large Catholic population because of the South Americans with smaller Protestant communities . Nice lakes and manicured tree lined neighborhoods ... we love it here as you are twenty minutes from the beaches of Ft.Lauderdale and 45 minutes from Miami if you want to party on the weekend ... but we are just far enough from the craziness that is Miami .. Strangely a very small Cuban population but many Argentines , Brazilians , Colombians and Venezuelans most are educated and wealthier than average . Many of the Miami Dolphins and Florida Marlins live here , Dan Marino has been here for almost 15 years although his mansion is on the market for $ 15 M ( ya interested ? ) Jason Taylor just purchased a house here ... it is a nice place and most important very kid friendly !! The only place I like better in Broward is Parkland but that is another 25 minutes North of us !!!

The only suburb that I can compare to in Georgia is Alpharetta , which is very nice as well ... demographics are different as it is much more White American and Protestant ... nice homes and a beautiful setting also but the cost of living is lower ...although the traffic is much much worse than in Weston and the crime rate is higher . Tough choice they are both great places ... we personally love the beaches and boating in the ocean !!!

Good luck

Old 05-18-2007, 12:39 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,741,743 times
In Weston you can't own a boat and keep it outside:

(b) No house or boat trailers, boats, or habitable motor vehicles of any nature shall be parked or stored on any property unless in a fully enclosed garage, except temporarily for routine cleaning, loading, or unloading of motor homes or recreational vehicles. No living quarters shall be maintained while such motor home or recreational vehicle is so parked.

(A) The violation of, or failure to comply with, any provisions of § 92.01 shall subject the offender, upon conviction, to a fine not to exceed $500. Each day a violation exists shall constitute a separate offense and shall be subject to a separate penalty

They are just so nice there!

Old 05-18-2007, 02:43 PM

158 posts, read 647,068 times
And outside of being really nice looking i dont see nothing that attracts me its more of a quite calm and boring suburb, but hey thats just me some people like that.

Old 05-19-2007, 12:03 PM

525 posts, read 1,851,268 times
I used to live in South Florida and moved to Northern Georgia.

Well I have no regrets! So I say stick with Georgia you won't regret it. It is safer, you have the seasons, you have the mountains, but still driving distance to the beach.

Most important is that it is more family friendly area. I left SF because I wanted a better area for my little guy. This is a great family friendly area, where people are really nice and not so superficial.

SF is nice to visit (maybe) but it is not a great place to live. If you do decide to move, rent for at least a year. Not only because the market is a mess over there, but that will give you time to see the real Florida.

Old 05-19-2007, 03:08 PM

184 posts, read 611,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
I used to live in South Florida and moved to Northern Georgia.

Well I have no regrets! So I say stick with Georgia you won't regret it. It is safer, you have the seasons, you have the mountains, but still driving distance to the beach.

Most important is that it is more family friendly area. I left SF because I wanted a better area for my little guy. This is a great family friendly area, where people are really nice and not so superficial.

SF is nice to visit (maybe) but it is not a great place to live. If you do decide to move, rent for at least a year. Not only because the market is a mess over there, but that will give you time to see the real Florida.
I am new to this forum , recently moved to Weston from Alpharetta ... agree with some of your comments , but not all . Safer suburbs in North Georgia .. have to call you out on that one , as our home was broken into twice and our car was stolen one night in Buckhead . People are nicer , yeah that is true ..but leave Alpharetta , John's Creek or Roswell and the red neck factor is pretty bad .... go South past mid town and you are in the hood with militant brothers . Plenty of racial tensions in Atlanta , also a growing illegal immigrant problem , much worse traffic than in South Florida ... the GA 400 in the morning is suicide inducing , drivers suck ... air quality is terrible . I came down here with my family due to job transfer and more money , so far we like Weston . I am a liberal , yet flag waving "gringo" and my wife is Colombian ( legal citizen ) we actually feel safer in Weston than in Alpharetta .

North Georgia does have the seasons and people generally are friendlier , lower cost of living , but if you are from the North East , you will experience some "anti-yankee"
sentiment and if you are not a Republican , Evangelical it can get akward at times .... what church do ya'll attend , you will hear that constantly .

My only gripe about Weston is that some of the transplanted New Yorkers and some of the wealthy South Americans can be somewhat arrogant .

In all both places are nice with each having their own pros and cons ... Originally being from Ponte Vedra , Florida I personally love the beaches !!

Old 05-19-2007, 06:48 PM

130 posts, read 155,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
In Weston you can't own a boat and keep it outside:

(b) No house or boat trailers, boats, or habitable motor vehicles of any nature shall be parked or stored on any property unless in a fully enclosed garage, except temporarily for routine cleaning, loading, or unloading of motor homes or recreational vehicles. No living quarters shall be maintained while such motor home or recreational vehicle is so parked.

(A) The violation of, or failure to comply with, any provisions of § 92.01 shall subject the offender, upon conviction, to a fine not to exceed $500. Each day a violation exists shall constitute a separate offense and shall be subject to a separate penalty

They are just so nice there!
You forgot no pick up trucks at all whatsoever! they must be kept in the garage as well.

Old 05-19-2007, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proud to be American View Post
You forgot no pick up trucks at all whatsoever! they must be kept in the garage as well.

Yeah , some of the rules in Weston are quite harsh ... if it is a nice pick up who cares !!

Still would rather live in a community with HOA rules , though . We had them in Alpharetta , Georgia and I would not have it any other way .

Is Tallrick the resident Judge Judy on this forum ?

Old 05-19-2007, 07:45 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,741,743 times
LOL no I just have had a bit of experience with zoning Nazis. I am against communism on all forms. If you want an HOA that's fine. You can agree to deed restrictions. But wherever I live I don't want the aggravation of petty rules.

Old 05-20-2007, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
LOL no I just have had a bit of experience with zoning Nazis. I am against communism on all forms. If you want an HOA that's fine. You can agree to deed restrictions. But wherever I live I don't want the aggravation of petty rules.

It can also be facism depending on how you look at it .... don't like either ideology ... but I did choose to live in a place with rules mainly to keep property values up and keep the riff raff out and they do a great job of that in Weston .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area