Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 03:27 PM

3 posts, read 18,757 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the recommendations! I appreciate them.
So you're saying, that there are no safe, friendly neighbourhoods closer to the beach???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 03:34 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,938,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
I so have to get used to thinking of things on these terms LOL - you know how Woodside is Fauve - it can take 10 minutes or 30 minutes to get from 58th and broadway and Vernon and Jackson LOL. I have to figure this out - well good luck to the OP and hope you find something nice - Fauve you live in Plantation? Sounds like you love it?
I like Plantation also. We rented there when we first moved to Florida (Nob Hill/Cleary). It is a lovely community, close to Fort Lauderdale but without alot of the "affectation" you get in some affluent communities.

We moved to Weston because the schools were better. As it turned out the schools here in Weston are better, but they still stink and now my kids go to school in Plantation.

For the OP who has little ones and is renting I would say Plantation is the perfrect place to get started in Broward County.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ertail View Post
So you're saying, that there are no safe, friendly neighbourhoods closer to the beach???
You said you wanted to be near Plantation. Plantation is the nearest to Plantation that I can think of.

There are some nicer neighborhoods in Fort Lauderdale but they tend to be expensive. Coral Ridge in Fort Lauderdale is nice. So is Victoria Park. Not sure about which ES are good except that I know Bayview is good.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:59 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,720,648 times
Quote:
Lauderdale by the Sea could work. I have no clue what the elementary school is like tho. Someone here might know of a beach area that has a decent elementary school. Definite commute to LbS, although against traffic, for your husband. 30 minutes might be tight. Generally speaking, the beach areas are more touristy and/or populated by young singles and less family friendly. Be prepared for pricey rentals too, although if you're okay with a 2 bedroom condo, you should be able to find something reasonable.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:47 AM

3 posts, read 18,757 times
What is a reasonable price for a 2 bedr/2 bathr condo let's say in Plantation and on the beach? Is it really that much difference?

Old 02-18-2010, 09:24 AM

Quote:
What is a reasonable price for a 2 bedr/2 bathr condo let's say in Plantation and on the beach? Is it really that much difference?
I would estimate $1400 in Plantation, probably around $1900 in Coral Ridge.

You can get cheaper rentals in Fort Lauderdale. I was looking in Coral Ridge, which is a very nice neighborhood, zoned for Bayview ES.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:02 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,776,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I would estimate $1400 in Plantation, probably around $1900 in Coral Ridge.

You can get cheaper rentals in Fort Lauderdale. I was looking in Coral Ridge, which is a very nice neighborhood, zoned for Bayview ES.
My sis-n-law lives in Coral Ridge - it is nice - and I believe that Fort Lauderdale Highschool is an A school - not sure about Middle though. My sis-n-law doesn't pay quite that much, but she lives in one of those duplex houses it is very nice though - i think its like 1500 but not a complex, so no pool and playgrounds for the kids which are both very important to me. I'm learning my way around a little guys.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:45 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,084,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
We moved away 5 yrs. ago, but Weston was a very nice place to live with schools within the community. Lovely and well kept. Various price ranges and Town Center. About 12 min. to Sawgrass Mills Mall, a huge outlet mall of several million sq. ft. Also close to Plantation.

If you live in Plantation, be sure to buy west of University Ave., as that is the safest area.

Hope you speak Spanish, as there are a large number of Hispanics in Broward Co. and it would definitely be to your advantage to know the language.

Best of luck.

Good luck
Agree with most of your post ..... but except for pockets in Miramar and Pembroke Pines you absolutely DO NOT require any knowledge of Spanish to live comfortably in Broward County ... I cannot say the same about Miami Dade .

Old 02-18-2010, 12:49 PM

Quote:
I like Plantation also. We rented there when we first moved to Florida (Nob Hill/Cleary). It is a lovely community, close to Fort Lauderdale but without alot of the "affectation" you get in some affluent communities.

We moved to Weston because the schools were better. As it turned out the schools here in Weston are better, but they still stink and now my kids go to school in Plantation.

For the OP who has little ones and is renting I would say Plantation is the perfrect place to get started in Broward County.

How do you figure the schools in Weston ... stink ... my girls went to school in Weston thru the end of middle school and part of high school ... they are now at MSD in Parkland and frankly the schools in Weston were better .. they had excellent programs at Cypress Bay and many of their older friends have gone on to excellent colleges in Florida and yes ... even in the North East

Old 02-18-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:

I guess to each his own .... I would never recommend Plantation over Weston .... not that Plantation is not nice ... it is but I think Weston is superior hands down .. more upscale , cleaner , safer .. again just my opinion .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area