Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 01:31 PM

3 posts, read 18,767 times

Advertisements

Hey everybody. We are moving to Florida in a couple of months (married couple with two kids under 3). My husband will work in Plantation. We are looking for a neighbourhood to rent a condo/house. I would really appreciate any suggestions about the area, 'cause we've never been in Florida before. Which areas would be the best to raise kids? Important factors:
- nice, quiet, safe environment
- good pre- and elementary schools
- recreational facilities (parks, playgrounds, and especially the beach within easy reach)
- shopping facilities (grocieries, farmers market, malls, etc)
- easy commute to work (no more than 30 min)
Thanks a lot for answers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 01:35 PM

9,467 posts, read 9,414,126 times
Default Weston

Quote:
Originally Posted by ertail View Post
Hey everybody. We are moving to Florida in a couple of months (married couple with two kids under 3). My husband will work in Plantation. We are looking for a neighbourhood to rent a condo/house. I would really appreciate any suggestions about the area, 'cause we've never been in Florida before. Which areas would be the best to raise kids? Important factors:
- nice, quiet, safe environment
- good pre- and elementary schools
- recreational facilities (parks, playgrounds, beach within easy reach)
- shopping facilities (grociesries, farmers market, malls, etc)
- easy commute to work (no more than 30 min)
Thanks a lot for answers!
We moved away 5 yrs. ago, but Weston was a very nice place to live with schools within the community. Lovely and well kept. Various price ranges and Town Center. About 12 min. to Sawgrass Mills Mall, a huge outlet mall of several million sq. ft. Also close to Plantation.

If you live in Plantation, be sure to buy west of University Ave., as that is the safest area.

Hope you speak Spanish, as there are a large number of Hispanics in Broward Co. and it would definitely be to your advantage to know the language.

Best of luck.

Good luck

Old 02-17-2010, 01:43 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,731,928 times
Actually, I would suggest you just stay in Plantation. Your husband can come home for lunch! Central Park Elementary is probably the best elementary school in Plantation. And, if the above poster has made you wary about spanish, Plantation has a relatively low Hispanic population.

Old 02-17-2010, 01:50 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,785,615 times
I would suggest Pembroke Pines or Cooper City (#1) - the schools in both areas are good but CC a little better - however, Plantation is an option until I guess High School right Fauve. I understand the high school isn't good and then you may be sending the kids to private school, which in that case wouldn't matter where you live really.

Old 02-17-2010, 02:08 PM

Middle school is nothing to write home about either. But her kids are under 3 and she's renting. Plantation should be a good bet. Cooper City isnt on top of malls, or a Whole Foods, like Plantation as well. Only farmer's market is in downtown Hollywood. Plantation is just a really safe, convenient, good bet to case out everything else. Now that Ive lived here, I wouldnt live anywhere else except a condo directly on the beach. Pembroke Pines is kind of far from Plantation. We commuted to American Heritage/Plantation from there and it was around 11 miles. Definitely traffic in the morning too.

Old 02-17-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
Middle school is nothing to write home about either. But her kids are under 3 and she's renting. Plantation should be a good bet. Cooper City isnt on top of malls, or a Whole Foods, like Plantation as well. Only farmer's market is in downtown Hollywood. Plantation is just a really safe, convenient, good bet to case out everything else. Now that Ive lived here, I wouldnt live anywhere else except a condo directly on the beach. Pembroke Pines is kind of far from Plantation. We commuted to American Heritage/Plantation from there and it was around 11 miles. Definitely traffic in the morning too.
I so have to get used to thinking of things on these terms LOL - you know how Woodside is Fauve - it can take 10 minutes or 30 minutes to get from 58th and broadway and Vernon and Jackson LOL. I have to figure this out - well good luck to the OP and hope you find something nice - Fauve you live in Plantation? Sounds like you love it?

Old 02-17-2010, 02:28 PM

I really do and Ive lived in Davie, Weston & Pembroke Pines. It just has more character, trees, and really nice people - which I think Im the most surprised about - maybe becoz it's older - my neighbors have been here on average 15 years which is ancient in South Florida (Jacaranda was built in the late 70's, early 80's). It's also ridiculously convenient - Sawgrass Millls, Broward Mall, a Target up the street, a bazillion restaurants - not all chains, tho they're there too, plus, Las Olas & beach doable for dinner, etc. It's also very middle class and not pretentious in the least.

Old 02-17-2010, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
I really do and Ive lived in Davie, Weston & Pembroke Pines. It just has more character, trees, and really nice people - which I think Im the most surprised about - maybe becoz it's older - my neighbors have been here on average 15 years which is ancient in South Florida (Jacaranda was built in the late 70's, early 80's). It's also ridiculously convenient - Sawgrass Millls, Broward Mall, a Target up the street, a bazillion restaurants - not all chains, tho they're there too, plus, Las Olas & beach doable for dinner, etc. It's also very middle class and not pretentious in the least.
Excellent to know Fauve - just the schools - makes me nervous!

Old 02-17-2010, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
Excellent to know Fauve - just the schools - makes me nervous!
For good reason! I think most people who see Plantation probably assume the middle & high schools are good and then get caught having to do magnet/lottery/private school later. It honestly wouldn't have occurred to me and Ive lived in S Florida a long time. I learned that info only by reading this site.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:02 PM

9,467 posts, read 9,414,126 times
Ertail,
There is lots of info about each of these cities on www.city-data.com (not forum). Also, on the city-data/forum you can search each of these areas and decide for yourself. www.greatschools.net may be able to provide some insight into the schools. No matter what anyone says, Spanish is a big deal in So.FL. Either hearing it doesn't bother you at all or it drives you crazy.

I see you will be renting, but if you plan to buy, consider these statements: Even though there is no income tax in FL, homeowners' insurance costs are through the roof. Call your agent first if you plan to buy. Property taxes are way up there, too, depending upon where you come from (if you are from the NE, they may seem low). LEARN before you move to So. FL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area