Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2011, 09:32 PM

55 posts, read 251,358 times

Advertisements

I have searched but can't seem to find the answer. I have a tenant that I started an eviction on for non payment in Hollywood, Florida. After the husband giving me the run around about them moving out for 4 days while the eviction is still proceeding I got the feeling that they had already left. Called all of the utilities on 9/7 and they told us they were transfered to another address as of 9/1 but wouldn't give us the address. Went to the house and the grass is over a foot tall and only a couple cabinets and misc junk was left. So I determined the property to be abandoned and took possession. They left an older ford expedition parked on the swale which the husband previously told me was broken. Tag is currently valid but who knows if it is the right one.

what steps do I take to try and get possession of the vehicle? Tomorrow I am gonna call the city of Hollywood but figured I would ask here too. Tenant owes us over $5000 in back rent not including any late or lawyer fees and damage to the premises. House was smoked in and walls are yellow. Along with a single car garage area full of junk and a waterbed still in the house.

tenant has not responded to my text message about me taking possession and for them to get their stuff within two days
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 12:54 PM

apparently a friend's friend is a lawyer so he emailed what I have to do. Basically attempt to find their address by say going to the post office. Then mail a letter that is preformatted in the statue to the last known address. Giving 15 days from the date mailed. If abandoned property under $500 then it is easy. So since the truck was described as non working by the tenant I can assume it is worth only $350 that a tow yard will pay for it and the other stuff left is worth $150 at the most

Old 11-24-2011, 10:52 AM

final update. Talked to the state of florida dmv who told me to call the tax collector who told me to call the dmv. Finally found a link in FWC(Florida Wildlife Commission) for abandoned vessels. Guy on phone told me the statue to look at. Was the one I had been looking at but it is only for what law enforcement are supposed to do when it is on public property.

Talked to two police departments on several occassions who didnt know what to do. One told me to get a vin verification and bring it back. Did that within an hour then they said they dont do that and to contact the county sheriff. Second city officer who cam out read the statue that I was given and told me it is for him if he finds a boat abandoned on the road. HE was nice about it and looked up the owners info again to confirm the address that I gave him and showed me a picture of the owner. I went to the house a few days later during the evening. All the lights were on but no one answered. I left a nice note but a week later no one called so I sold them on craigslist.

A friend told me he knows someone that will tow them and hold for a week. I can then get the titles for $350 each. Told him no thanks as they are both worth only $500 total together at the most in their current condition.

In the end all i know to do is send a letter. After that who knows.

Old 11-24-2011, 03:34 PM

70 posts, read 295,899 times
This is the reason I never wanted to be a landlord.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area