Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 07:13 PM

17 posts, read 60,777 times

Advertisements

I am fed up with the Bronx. Would Hollywood be a good place to raise a family, avoid the rat race, and not have to worry about getting shot at every week? How is the traffic in Hollywood (where does it get congested?). How is the nightlife? What schools would you recommend for my kids (don't know if I'll have enough dough to send them to a private school)? I do like to workout, what gym might you recommend? What is the area like around Hollywood Medical Center 3600 WASHINGTON ST. to be exact (where I'd be working)? Not too concerned about the crime cuz the Bronx is full of so called THUGS, G's, wannabes. Thanks in advance

Joe

Last edited by leavingdabronx; 02-10-2008 at 07:31 PM.. Reason: questions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2008, 07:30 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,369,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingdabronx View Post
I am fed up with the Bronx. Would Hollywood be a good place to raise a family, avoid the rat race, and not have to worry about getting shot at every week? How is the traffic in Hollywood (where does it get congested?). How is the nightlife? What schools would you recommend for my kids (don't know if I'll have enough dough to send them to a private school)? I do like to workout, what gym might you recommend? What is the area like around Hollywood Medical Center 3600 WASHINGTON ST. to be exact (where I'd be working)? Not too concerned about the crime cuz the Bronx is full of so called THUGS, G's, wannabes. Thanks in advance

Joe
depending on where you are at in the Bronx, Hollywood could be a step up or a step down. It is one of the older areas in Fort Lauderdale, so its not as nice as other parts of Lauderdale. Night life you will have to probably head to Miami for that. Not sure about the schools so hopefully someone else can help you on that one. A good friend of mine who was also from the bronx (gun hill) was also living in hollywood. Where will you be working down here? What is your budget for rent?

Old 02-11-2008, 01:41 PM

Default thanks

Thanks for your input

Old 02-11-2008, 04:06 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,964,642 times
I heard Delray beach is fairly hip, Alot of northern transplants seem to say good things about the town.

Old 02-12-2008, 06:24 AM

564 posts, read 1,880,318 times
A good thing about Florida is that you can, if you choose to, take effective measures to protect yourself that are denied to you in New York.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:27 PM

Default sick of the northern backstabbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaman View Post
I heard Delray beach is fairly hip, Alot of northern transplants seem to say good things about the town.
thanks, but kinda tryin to get away from northern transplant types (if you catch my drift). I understand Hollywood attracts many Northerners and all, but I was tryin to find out if it would be a more southern type atmosphere, considering I was born in the South and my family also has a Southern background.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:29 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,909,323 times
Quote:
thanks, but kinda tryin to get away from northern transplant types (if you catch my drift). I understand Hollywood attracts many Northerners and all, but I was tryin to find out if it would be a more southern type atmosphere, considering I was born in the South and my family also has a Southern background.
Try Davie to the west of Hollywood, which is family oriented and has a light southern undertone, or even better yet, try the Jacksonville area. The last place you want to be looking for southern is in Broward County.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:37 PM

Default ha ha true

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoventryDude View Post
A good thing about Florida is that you can, if you choose to, take effective measures to protect yourself that are denied to you in New York.
yes very true, but it almost seems as if you need to take those measures because Florida is a whole different atmosphere of crime. I did live in the Pine Hills area for a while so I understand how random crime can be in Florida
I lived in a bad section of the Bronx (with much crime), but if I traveled a mile North of my neighborhood you run into very nice areas (crime is nonexistent). In Florida crime seems like it can easily happen anywhere.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:38 PM

Default thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Try Davie to the west of Hollywood, which is family oriented and has a light southern undertone, or even better yet, try the Jacksonville area. The last place you want to be looking for southern is in Broward County.
this is the kinda post i needed thanks

Old 02-12-2008, 02:00 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,909,323 times
Quote:
this is the kinda post i needed thanks
To answer your original question but apply it to Davie, the big traffic spot in Davie is University Drive, although it doesn't really get too bad. I-595 can get stop and go at peak times, but typical cursing speed is around 70 mph. A lot of the other roads tend to be light in traffic. For schools, private depends on the age of your kids, but for public you are going to want to stay in the "Western innovation zone", or head also into the Cooper City area which is south of Davie. For a gym, we have tons of options, Fitness 21, 24 Hour Fitness in Plantation, and quite a few others. Nightlife in Fort Lauderdale is excellent, is starting to emerge in Hollywood, and Miami Beach is about 30-40 minutes away and needs no explanation. The area around the Hollywood Medical Center is alright, but not that great. It's also not far from some of the worst neighborhoods in the county. Also, the "Ghetto" subculture has kind of taken over the whole country as of late. I don't know a densely populated place that doesn't have it.

That area has a low crime rate, as does most of the county west of University Drive.

But really, Broward is very northeastern, not to mention very expensive. Even in Davie/Cooper City. Parts are quite livable and the mentality is more laid back than where you are anyway, but I don't think it's what you are looking for. Your real best bet is JAX or maybe around Tampa.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 02-12-2008 at 02:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area