Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 12:26 PM
vr2

224 posts, read 802,662 times

Advertisements

Hollywood just isn't worth it. Either you live in a condo in a very undesirable area (Hillcrest is decent though I'll give you that), or you live in an older sub-par house in a neighborhood where no one mows their yards or takes care of their houses.

Fact is, for similar money you can get into a nicer, newer house in cleaner, well kept areas and be only a 10 - 15 minute drive from downtown Hollywood anyways.

I would NEVER recommend living anywhere in South Florida that doesn't have a home owners association unless you are on a huge lot like somewhere in Davie/Sunshine Ranches.

This is coming from about 6 years living in downtown Hollywood and a good friend who is just west of Dixie near 24th and Pierce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 04:12 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,940,440 times
Hey, what about the beach and the eastern end of Hollywood Blvd./north lake/south lake south lake areas? Though I can agree that parts of the downtown and areas between US1 and I95 are not in good shape.

Old 04-21-2010, 07:08 AM
vr2

I actually addressed that on another thread... the beach areas of Hollywood are a different world and are quite nice. I wouldn't compare Hollywood Beach to "Hollywood" at all.

Although Hollywood Beach gets HAMMERED by French speaking Canadians during the winter, which means if you are looking for your quiet beach hangout for those months, that's not the place. Unless you are into old guys in tiny bathing suits and long lines just to get a slice of pizza.

Old 04-23-2010, 02:18 PM

1,076 posts, read 2,369,306 times
Taft and 27th isnt bad, but its hardly good. I would walk my dog down the street, but not too far, and not too late at night, and I have two pit bulls (not that theyre mean- but even with the stereotype, i wouldnt do it). I grew up in Hollywood Hills, and attended South Broward, close to where your looking. I now live in Davie and lived in Pembroke pines. They are a world apart and only 10 minutes drive west. Everytime I drive near that part of Hollywood I just want to get through it and back out to the non grimey areas. If work in fort lauderdale, you have access to all major highways, dont limit yourself to Dania, Lauderdale, and Hollywood. Go WEST!

Old 04-23-2010, 03:28 PM
vr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLShorty4lyfe View Post
Taft and 27th isnt bad, but its hardly good. I would walk my dog down the street, but not too far, and not too late at night, and I have two pit bulls (not that theyre mean- but even with the stereotype, i wouldnt do it). I grew up in Hollywood Hills, and attended South Broward, close to where your looking. I now live in Davie and lived in Pembroke pines. They are a world apart and only 10 minutes drive west. Everytime I drive near that part of Hollywood I just want to get through it and back out to the non grimey areas. If work in fort lauderdale, you have access to all major highways, dont limit yourself to Dania, Lauderdale, and Hollywood. Go WEST!
Well said, getting out of Hollywood and moving west was the best thing I ever did. And In 15 months I haven't missed ONE SINGLE THING about Hollywood, and I lived walking distance to downtown.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:56 AM

99 posts, read 304,180 times
Everyone posting in your thread thus far is correct in their own right, about the ups and downs of Hollywood. Mind you, you have already reserved a property so this may be a bit of putting the cart before the horse - your rental is in a quiet area as Taft does not get a tremendous amount of traffic, but Taft is a conduit to move people around Hollywood.
In South Florida, the more money you can throw at the place you are going to live in the better the neighborhood, location, etc. Hollywood only gets noticed by those who know Hollywood well. The areas near the beaches are great, beautiful and highly desired = $$$. Areas less than 1/3 mile away, around US1, are terrible and with the economic downturn, have gotten worse. The future for Hollywood could be great IF the city finds a way to help the fringe areas improve and develop. Right now, its a matter of socioeconomics, and even middle income areas have looked blighted. Looks can be deceiving down here, I have relatives who live in a fringe area, looks o.k., not HOA controlled, so some property owners have let things go, but the area has a nice feel about it. The locals are happy, take proper precautions to keep safe and enjoy life, being far enough from US1 helps a whole lot.
Living in the West is fine, but it is west and the beaches are NOT 5-10 minutes away - the ocean breezes are diminished out west, and if you like neighborhoods with more character, then the east side is where you will find them. Lots of neighborhoods in the west are cookie cutter, and lack the charm of, lets say a Spanish Colonial built in the 1950s.
When you live in South Florida, don't be stupid about your safety. Keep valuables out of your car, having a security alarm is good for peace of mind, and stay on top of what is going on around you. Our neighborhood is seeing a spike in smash and grabs and some burglaries. So, I am operating accordingly, and I only know this because I know my neighbors. I feel safe in my neighborhood, but I also know it well. Once you get down here, get to know your hood.

Old 04-26-2010, 12:17 PM

68 posts, read 296,525 times
I used to work in Miramar right next to 75, and there were constant sirens in the area. Our cars were getting broken into in the middle of the day, and during the night when most employees had gone, drug dealers came into our parking lot to conduct business. Many of my co workers lived in surrounding communities, and had problems with cars and homes being broken into, and less than savoury neighbors who left bags of garbage everywhere but in the dumpsters.

My friend used to have a townhouse in West Miramar, but the amount of section 8 renters, which the HOA allowed, was far higher than anywhere I've lived in Hollywood. As a result, there was more crime in her area, more garbage tossed wherever, and because there would be so many people in one unit in many cases, all the parking was filled, all the time.

OP, you are not in a bad or dangerous area. It's reasonably quiet and safe. The western suburbs have plenty of ghetto people moving in, especially Pines and Miramar. If you stay in Hollywood, you may want to try renting east of US1 once your lease is up. I would reccommend a condo as opposed to a rental community. You could also find a rental in Emerald Hills, which is more expensive, but affordable for two working people.

P.S. Those French Canadians mentioned upthread are laid back and friendly. I've never waited in line on the beach for pizza behind them. At least you can get to the beach in Hollywood in the winter, and there is space on the beach, unlike Miami and Ft Lauderdale.

Old 04-26-2010, 12:48 PM

11 posts, read 111,760 times
Yes, we have already signed a year lease. The reasoning for my post is because I read multiple threads about it being rough. I lived and worked in Chicago for 3.5 years and was wondering how this compares. Every populated area is going to have patches of bad and good areas within a city. I was just curious what is actually considered "bad". Thank you for all your replies.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:12 PM

68 posts, read 296,525 times
Don't worry about it. I doubt you'll feel unsafe, coming from a large city. Hollywood is small in comparison, and our bad areas can't compare to Chicago. In my experience, the people who disparage Hollywood the most usually haven't even lived here. If you need peace of mind, the suggestion to get an alarm system is a good one. A dog with an assertive bark is an even better one. Welcome to my beloved city-There is a lot to do here.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:51 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
That's not a bad part of Hollywood, actually pretty nice. I would say anything west of Dixie along Taft should be at least OK. It's not the "best" area per-se but common sense will keep you safe. East of Dixie is what I would describe as a "white trash ghetto" and is full of prostitutes, odd bums and burglars, but not bullets and still would be ok to pass through if you aren't looking for trouble. I would also say that the neighborhood actually declines significantly east of 26th, but not bad enough to worry too much.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 04-26-2010 at 09:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area