Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 12:06 PM
vr2

224 posts, read 802,537 times

Advertisements

While not all of Pompano is bad, the issue is that you deal with spill-over from the bad areas. Sure, you have a nice looking house in a decent development in Pompano - but then when you go out to a local store or shopping center, it's a filthy mess of the less desirable Pompano residents.

You simply can't live that close to bad neighborhoods and still be safe. I know 2 Pompano deputies, both would highly recommend against living there.

Just like Sunrise gets a ton of the Lauderhill crowd, Pompano's nicer areas get the bad area crowd.

CoCoGirl - "Bully" is Cooper City, not Weston. In fact, I'm pretty sure Weston didn't really exist as a city when the murder happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 02:21 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,709,122 times
I believe in Bully the kids were from Cooper City and the murder occurred in Weston while it was in its early stages of being developed.

Old 06-16-2010, 03:07 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,904,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
I believe in Bully the kids were from Cooper City and the murder occurred in Weston while it was in its early stages of being developed.
That is my understanding as well.

Old 06-16-2010, 08:11 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,469,718 times
vr2>

You say the "spillover" is bad, which I cannot disagree with. But what part of South FL doesn't have spillover from one area or another? If you live in Plantation, you get spillover from Lauderhill. If you live in Tamarac, you get spillover from North Lauderdale/Lauderdale Lakes. If you live in Fort Lauderdale, you get spillover from all directions. If you live in East Hollywood, you get spillover from West Hollywood. If you live in Aventura, you get spillover from Miami Gardens. Weston and Parkland might be the only places that don't get much "spillover".

Old 06-16-2010, 08:21 PM

5 posts, read 10,455 times
The kids in Bully, Marty Puccio and Bobby Kent were from Hollywood, FL. They went to Olson Middle School and South Broward High School. Part of the movie was filmed in Cooper City.

Old 06-16-2010, 08:42 PM

346 posts, read 1,341,418 times
It's impossible to get "spillovers" when you have gates and guards at every entrance. Keeps all the savages out.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:05 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,898,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
vr2>
If you live in Aventura, you get spillover from Miami Gardens. .
Huh?

Old 06-16-2010, 09:59 PM

233 posts, read 530,797 times
What are these less desirable residents you speak of? It seems for most people on this forum if there is a certain minority group or less wealthy area within a five mile radius they are uncomfortable. Vr2 the only areas in Broward county that fit that description are Parkland and Weston. I've lived in Pompano for a long time and have never had any problems with "spill over" or whatever problems you associate with it. Honestly I don't really see this mess you speak of when I go to shopping areas/businesses and I don't mind seeing minorities out shopping or using businesses on the East side of town, which honestly isn't that often because South Florida is very segregated. You can't generalize or make assumptions of a group or ethnicity. If you hang out in the bad areas often you may eventually have a problem but I've never felt unsafe in most areas of Pompano and the only areas that are sketchy in Pompano is the square bounded by 95-Dixie-Atlantic-Copans which isn't that big and then the collier city neighborhood west of that. I don't hang out in those areas and if you live in east of Dixie in FTL and Pompano you will be fine. I have to wonder if some of these posters have lived in gated communities there whole life and thus very paranoid. Vr2 you don't live in Pompano and never have so your opinion on living here is pretty useless and your assumption is baseless on living within a mile or two radius means your not safe. BSO patrols Pompano, it doesn't have its own department, so most deputies do not stay in one city but bounce from city to city with BSO and when in Pompano probably patrol mostly the bad areas. Most do not live in the east parts. Actually a BSO cop recently moved in about a year ago down the street with a young family- I guess he didn't feel threatened. If it's so dangerous why would property values be so high in East Pompano then? Have you ever lived in East Broward? And the kids in Bully were from Hollywood and it occurred when most of Weston was still swamp land so it isn't really reflective of Weston.

Last edited by sofla951; 06-16-2010 at 11:01 PM..

Old 06-16-2010, 10:02 PM

233 posts, read 530,797 times
Dk22 if I remember correctly you live in LHP. Has this "spillover" affected your life living East of Dixie because it hasn't affected mine.

Old 06-17-2010, 06:55 AM
vr2

224 posts, read 802,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofla951 View Post
What are these less desirable residents you speak of? It seems for most people on this forum if there is a certain minority group or less wealthy area within a five mile radius they are uncomfortable. Vr2 the only areas in Broward county that fit that description are Parkland and Weston. I've lived in Pompano for a long time and have never had any problems with "spill over" or whatever problems you associate with it. Honestly I don't really see this mess you speak of when I go to shopping areas/businesses and I don't mind seeing minorities out shopping or using businesses on the East side of town, which honestly isn't that often because South Florida is very segregated. You can't generalize or make assumptions of a group or ethnicity. If you hang out in the bad areas often you may eventually have a problem but I've never felt unsafe in most areas of Pompano and the only areas that are sketchy in Pompano is the square bounded by 95-Dixie-Atlantic-Copans which isn't that big and then the collier city neighborhood west of that. I don't hang out in those areas and if you live in east of Dixie in FTL and Pompano you will be fine. I have to wonder if some of these posters have lived in gated communities there whole life and thus very paranoid. Vr2 you don't live in Pompano and never have so your opinion on living here is pretty useless and your assumption is baseless on living within a mile or two radius means your not safe. BSO patrols Pompano, it doesn't have its own department, so most deputies do not stay in one city but bounce from city to city with BSO and when in Pompano probably patrol mostly the bad areas. Most do not live in the east parts. Actually a BSO cop recently moved in about a year ago down the street with a young family- I guess he didn't feel threatened. If it's so dangerous why would property values be so high in East Pompano then? Have you ever lived in East Broward? And the kids in Bully were from Hollywood and it occurred when most of Weston was still swamp land so it isn't really reflective of Weston.

Pompano is BSO, but the deputies that work there most certainly ARE pompano deputies and they have stations/sub-stations in Pompano, they don't travel around. Where do you get this information from? Deputies and staff with BSO that work in specific cities like Pompano, Weston, Dania, Cooper City, Tamarac etc... are just about all permanently with that city - that's why they have "Pompano Beach" on the side of their take-home cruisers. I've done 2 ride-alongs in Pompano, it's not a great place to be.

Don't get me wrong, I know a couple people who live in Pompano on the intercoastal, nice home, nice neighborhood, but the moment you drive 1/2 mile away to go to the store it's the less desirable crowd.

I have lived in East Broward, I lived off 20th near Johnson in Downtown Hollywood. It's a crime ridden dump full of bums and criminals, much like Pompano.

There are multitudes of better areas, not "just" Weston and Parkland. You have Davie, Cooper City, most of Pembroke Pines, West Tamarac, most of Coral Springs, Southwest Ranches, Plantation, etc.

Pompano is much like Hollywood - where it just doesn't make sense to live there when you can get cheaper homes (or at least similarly priced) in better neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area