Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 02:15 PM

5 posts, read 15,831 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all your feedback!

We're going there next weekend to check out areas and hopefully find a place.
We have a pretty good idea on areas in Ft Lauderdale by now.
As far as Boca; any specific areas?
And Delray, what are the sketchy areas to avoid...or what are the areas recommended?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 02:55 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,707,891 times
With Delray, I wouldn't live west of Swinton though it is still fairly okay for a few blocks. Staying east of Swinton will also get you within walking distance of the beach too. Oh and once you get to Delray further west (not sure which street is the cut-off) the neighborhood changes dramatically again and is very safe with mostly retirees.

Old 06-08-2010, 05:22 PM

5 posts, read 15,831 times
also, does anyone have a recommendation on a real estate agent/apartment locator for this area?
Since we have so little time, this might help us make a selection of places to visit

Old 06-08-2010, 08:10 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,707,891 times
Best to ask on the West Palm Beach/Boca board: http://www.city-data.com/forum/west-...raton-boynton/

Old 06-09-2010, 09:10 PM

61 posts, read 174,245 times
Delray is good. The northern reaches of Fort Lauderdale up to Pompano Beach and parts of Deerfield are o.k. for you. As for Boca Raton proper, a fine city, but $1,200 a month won't go to far.

Old 06-13-2010, 09:42 AM

622 posts, read 1,664,871 times
I personally used to live on the south end of Boca off of Military Trail and Camino Real, called Gardens on the Fairway.. There are LOTS of apts in that area! You could stick just south of Boca in Deerfield.. there are a few nice apt complexes around there as well, you'll be in Broward County (not a bad thing) but it'll still be an easy commute to Boca and to the airport (and you can choose between PBI as well as FLL for flying out of..)

Old 07-22-2010, 08:50 AM

1 posts, read 1,705 times
I live in Lauderdale by the sea, great touristy area with a lot going on around the pier, and my husband drives to work to delray beach, 25 min drive, to boca about 15 min, there is almost no trafic on that stretch,I am very happy we live here but boca was an option when we were relocating, we drove by all the areas of boca around ft lauderdale too and chose Lauderdale by the sea, near prestigeous galt ocean mile with restaurants and bars white on the beach, and free shuttle to all the places you need to go like grossary stores restaurants and it is very happening place to be, you can take a water taxi on the intracoastal waterway for 7 $ ,it is gourgeous like in venice ,you will love it in ft lauderdale beach, boca is nice but seems dead compare to ft lauderdale,believe me I been driving there and here alot.forgive my mistakes,I am russian

Old 07-22-2010, 06:40 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,467,870 times
Kaar>

One good area that gets no love on this board is the NE Fort Lauderdale borderline with Pompano Beach area. There are 2 really good apt. communities right on US1 across from one another; Port Royale Apartments and The Residences at Bayview. Port Royale is the cheaper of the two, but both are all younger people. And there is a Publix, Walgreens, and CVS right outside of the entrances of both communities. You can walk to them. Also, there are a bunch of good restaurants within a few blocks (Smokey Bones, Outback Steakhouse, TGI Fridays, etc.). That US1 corridor is loaded with shopping. Then the beach is very close by (1 mile). You just shoot across Atlantic Blvd or Commercial Blvd and you are at the beach! I-95 is 1 mile west and the commute from there to Boca takes about 20 minutes, depending on what part of Boca you are traveling to. If you are going to east Boca, you can just drive up US1 to Mizner Park and that area. But you can take 95 which isn't too bad during the morning rush hour going north. Also, the Las Olas entertainment district is only 15 minutes the opposite direction, and there is plenty of nightlife going on there.

Another area I'd check out Lauderdale By The Seas, which is at Atlantic Blvd. and A1A right on the beach across from Pompano. That area is loaded with nice condos that are more affordable than Fort Lauderdale proper or Boca Raton for a beachfront condo.

As far as Boca vs. Ft. Lauderdale, as others have mentioned Fort Lauderdale is much more active and happening. I think you'll be much happier there than living in Boca. Boca is getting younger and is up-and-coming, but is mostly rich, snobby hot-shots. Mizner Park is an ok area to go out for nightlife and there are condos there you can walk to the nightlife from. But outside of Mizner, there is really NOTHING to do in Boca. Downtown Delray is fun to go out at night in, but like Boca, there is NOTHING to do in Delray outside of that. Fort Lauderdale has many more options of things to do and is more pedestrian-friendly as others have mentioned.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:12 PM

7 posts, read 11,985 times
The answer you're looking for is Downtown Delray Beach! Atlantic Avenue to be precise. Sure Fort Lauderdale is bigger, with more choice for restaurants, clubs, etc. But if I were in your shoes, I'll spare myself an hour (at least) commute on a daily basis and instead take my car on the week-end to go to Ft Lauderdale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area