Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2010, 08:56 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times

Advertisements

Up to a couple of weeks ago, I was a real estate agent. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. C'est la vie.

And speaking of water...I just don't think the local market needs an additional kick in the teeth. I agree that a good deal is a good deal, and $1,000 extra may not make someone walk, but it just might make a transplant do a double-take at the local government and that could be a very bad thing. And the basic charge for water and sewer is $45.07? Holy mackerel, I've had total bills lower than that. Wow.

And because I know how a certain segment of the population has a fundamental problem with reading comprehension...I am in Knoxville, TN and was not an agent in Florida.

Old 11-05-2010, 09:17 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,536,485 times
I let this thread continue because it is kind of like an anode......

Frank

Old 11-05-2010, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post

Frank
Anode. Impressive. Now here is someone that knows their way around a dictionary and a home inspection report.

I thought this thread was years old. Imagine my surprise to find that it has only been around a few months. This sure is a chatty bunch of peeps. And folks wonder why I hang out on this forum. Heck, it's the most happening place on the interwebs.

Old 11-05-2010, 10:07 PM

964 posts, read 2,065,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post

Frank
Almost like a sacrificial variant! Thanks for what you do.

Old 11-05-2010, 10:42 PM

681 posts, read 885,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equalrightsforeveryone View Post

Best way to approach any real estate transaction is, DO NOT trust anything the real estate agent tells you unless you have it in writing to back up the statements they make.
If they are not willing to put it in writing .... then you know what that means.
You know them too well. Excellent posts!
You are one of the few writers of this forum, who actually care about Cape Coral without trying to sell/make business for one's flopped property or real estate business. Your advice is an excellent one. Thank you !

To drag home buyers to homes without telling them about stacked up water bills is not right. Waste of time, and to me, it is pure deception.

Old 11-05-2010, 10:58 PM

And then there is the comic relief...

Old 11-06-2010, 03:53 AM

225 posts, read 494,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
And then there is the comic relief...
Yeah, I always get a chuckle from those two.

Old 11-06-2010, 08:59 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,093,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoko View Post
Yes, so that you do not waste your time!

If the accumulated water bills are already in the listing information, you just cross it out. There is a glut of available housing!

I am in agreement with Yoko on this. I think you are too Nancy. I think you are both not hearing each other. Nancy is speaking from a buyers point of view, yoko is speaking from a sellers point of view. The seller is the realtors client. A good and experienced listing agent is going to want to know anything about the property that can hinder a sale.

When I was in the mortgage business one of the first things I would do is go online and look at the deed to the property, and in real estate pre license programs it's what they advise to do. There have been so many times when I would notice tax liens, irs liens, judgments, mechanics liens, forgivable liens (which is when someone may get a grant from a gov't agency but cannot sell house in a certain amount of time without a penalty.) Liens from utility companies because the owner had to bring utility poles to get electricity to property. subsidized mortgages which had recapture clauses, liens from associations, loans that the customers didn't even know they had on their homes such as for swimming pools and lines of credit.

before posting a listing I would want to know how much was owed on mortgages, any liens, any assessments etc.

The average person is not a real estate expert and that is why they seek the help of a realtor, to guide them through a transaction that the person may be going through for the first time. The realtor needs to earn their commission.

These assessments and bills are common and these instances coming up is someone did not do their job ahead of time.

Old 11-06-2010, 09:14 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,350,841 times
"Folks need to take responsibility for their actions....ultimately it is YOUR responsibility to buy the right house at the right price, etc. Let the buyer beware, be a knowledgeable consumer....it's your money, your life, and your mortgage payment. If everyone believed that a few years ago, I think things would be different now. Live within your means, understand that just because the bank says you can afford something does not make it true."

I agree with this in part,- People need to take more responsibility for their action or lack of action but the real estate market is a funny one.
Most people use an agent because they have to and do not understand the process of buying a home this is specially thru for first time buyer. That is why they hire a "so called Professional Real Estate Agent" but then the way the transaction is handled all the burden is still on the buyer, if you hire a professional to do a job for you they are supposed to work for you but all they have in mind is self interest in making more money. Everyone that has ever bought a home remembers that. First thing you hear usually is when you go see your first home is, oh what is the top oh your price range, (and I will tell you right now that every agent will try to sell you a home at the top of your range) it never fails, they try to talk people up with all kind of reason I will not mention them here because if you bought a home you have heard them all. Second is the "Can I afford a home like that" How many folks have ever been told (during the hayday of selling) That they can't afford a home,- usually it's some thing like this, Don't worry we'll work with the lender.
And so on, Then the buyer has to pay all the fee's< (And don't even come back with that tired old excuse OH NO the seller pays this the seller pay's that) The fee's get paid out of the buyers mortgage than means the buyer PAYS ALL THE FEE"S.
Everyone remembers their real estate transactions, What I would like to see is a real poll from buyers to see if they think they got a good deal when they bought or if they feel that they were not getting a fair shake. When the buyer hires a agent then in my mind the agent should be responsible for a lot more things then they are,- THEY after all are the "Professional" not the buyer.

Old 11-06-2010, 05:48 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times
I cannot speak for most people, but the only reason I want/have to use a real estate agent is to get into the house. Some people like getting professional advice and guidance. I want to be left alone.

I do agree with you about the things a real estate associate will say to sell a home, but I also believe there are many good agents who will go the extra mile to protect their clients.

I'm actually more in agreement with you than you seem to understand. I just don't like to see an entire profession slammed because of some bad apples or a buyer's misunderstanding of what an agent can or cannot do. I've been lied to many times by real estate agents. Maybe it's just that I just don't care any more, because I only think of them as a key to get inside the house.

Last week, for example, an agent showed me a house in a Cape Coral community that has a problem with CDW. I am well aware of it, since I used to live in Lee County and the story was in the News-Press. I asked if the house had been previously inspected because of the high percentage of houses on that street with CDW. She said, "Oh, I can tell it doesn't have any because I'd smell it." I know she's FOS but I don't care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area