Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 07:06 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,873,838 times

Advertisements

Seen a lot of posts recently about homeless people at the golf course and other places.Several referred to starving children and families living under bridges.My take on it is a little different....in all of my 20 years in Florida,I've yet to see a family with children living under those conditions.Nearly every homeless person I've encountered is running from something or has a substance abuse problem.
Teacher friends tell me that,while there is a lot of poverty,that kids are coming to school with designer sneakers,pricey hair styles,cell phones,nails done....but need to be on the free lunch program.Many are obese....not starving as some posters would have you believe.
Certainly no one with a heart could ever pass by a child who was starving,but I just don't see how that's likely with all of the government agencies that oversee these kind of problems.
If I'm wrong,I'd like to know about it because I would be the first to want to help out.

Old 09-19-2010, 08:05 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
I don't know if you are just being argumentative or you are truly bothered. I choose to see the good in others and think this might be really getting to you.

Here is what I suggest. Contact the Harry Chapin Food Bank, first. They need help, always, and they are a highly respected local charity. Ask them what the real face of poverty looks like. They will tell you.

Harry Chapin Food Bank - | Emergency Food Suppliers | Feeding SW Florida

Here is another resource:

CCMI - Lee County Soup Kitchen, Meals on Wheels, Faith In Action and Hands & Hearts Montessori Preschool (http://www.ccmileecounty.com/index.html - broken link)

Unfortunately, it looks like the food pantry that I once visited while pregnant and living in Bonita Springs is no longer there. It was run by the local Roman Catholic church.

Some day, maybe, I can sit down and have a cup of coffee and tell you my story. I think you will be truly stunned to see the face of poverty and how easily things can go wrong for a bright, articulate person. When you meet me all preconceived notions of poverty go out the window. It is then that you will realize that yes, this can happen to anyone.

Was mine a permanent situation. Of course not. After decades of struggle I finally crawled out of my situation and now own two businesses. But I was hungry and the pain that my children went through should never, ever happen in this country. I have looked into the faces of the sanctimonious that turn their heads rather than know that poverty is real.

Anyway, good on you for worrying and asking about how to help.

P.S. To write this was not an easy task. This is my life, my soul, my pain that I have just laid bare for you.

Old 09-20-2010, 03:41 AM

681 posts, read 884,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
To write this was not an easy task.
Thank you.

That chapter in your life is over and I am very happy for you.

But at this location, yachtcare, deserves a big "thank you" !
Only in couple of months since your visit to Cape Coral, the economy has become so much worse.

Imagine what would happen to you !

Last edited by yoko; 09-20-2010 at 03:53 AM..

Old 09-20-2010, 03:58 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Quote:

Some day, maybe, I can sit down and have a cup of coffee and tell you my story. I think you will be truly stunned to see the face of poverty and how easily things can go wrong for a bright, articulate person. When you meet me all preconceived notions of poverty go out the window. It is then that you will realize that yes, this can happen to anyone.

Was mine a permanent situation. Of course not. After decades of struggle I finally crawled out of my situation and now own two businesses. But I was hungry and the pain that my children went through should never, ever happen in this country. I have looked into the faces of the sanctimonious that turn their heads rather than know that poverty is real.

Anyway, good on you for worrying and asking about how to help.

P.S. To write this was not an easy task. This is my life, my soul, my pain that I have just laid bare for you.
I also scraped the bottom of the barrel earlier in my life, being homeless for a few years where the thought of living out of a car would be considered luxury tends to make you very gratefull for all those that lent a helping hand,and the few government programs that were the difference between hunger and having something to eat,Thanks to the generosity of others i crawled out of the abyss to become quite successful in life, and when i see homeless or down on their luck people i realize from personal experience it can happen to anyone and its not necessarily booze or drug related, i'll never refuse to lend a hand or help out in anyway possible if asked.
Thanks to those who helpedlove ya

Old 09-20-2010, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post

I'll never refuse to lend a hand or help out
Super!

Old 09-20-2010, 08:14 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoko View Post

But at this location, yachtcare, deserves a big "thank you" !
Thank you. I appreciate your kind words. However, I would like to know what "Yachtcare" has to do with the homeless problem in Lee County.

Old 09-20-2010, 05:28 PM

1,563 posts, read 2,873,838 times
I'm glad to see someone who has fallen on hard times get every bit of help available.My gripe is with people who are on second and third generations of welfare and don't even attempt to work.

Old 09-20-2010, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samiamnh View Post
I'm glad to see someone who has fallen on hard times get every bit of help available.My gripe is with people who are on second and third generations of welfare and don't even attempt to work.
Awful !

Old 09-21-2010, 06:13 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,727,849 times
Quote:
Thank you. I appreciate your kind words. However, I would like to know what "Yachtcare" has to do with the homeless problem in Lee County.
It's all my fault! All that negative banter has single handedly driven everyone from their homes here in the past few years.............it's the only explanation, after all the "recession" has been over for fifteen months

YC.......

Old 09-21-2010, 06:31 AM

1,210 posts, read 3,283,467 times
YC: any insights to share regarding demand for yacht maintenence or boating generally, heading into this season?

up, down, flat?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area