Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 07:07 PM

9 posts, read 22,355 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am thinking about relocating to Cape Coral. I am currently living in Henderson, NV and considering a move back east. I have a few places that I'm considering and want to make the right choice. I'm also looking into Greenville, SC and Winston Salem, NC. There is a lot of pros for me in Cape Coral. After living here in Vegas I'm used to nice warm winters and no snow. I have a lot of family in SW Florida and also can do the same type of work that I do now. Having a job opportunity and family in the area are both making me want to come. The low housing cost are also a huge draw for me. I can get a beautiful home for around 220k. The main thing that is alarming to me is I do have a 70 pound dog. I worry about gators and snakes. My family has a house on a canal and say they've never seen anything. I would not be living on a canal if I move. I've read thru quite a few threads on here saying gators go after dogs. If you don't live on the water can this be a problem? I would never take my dog near the water but it seems to be everywhere in SW Florida. If I relocate my criteria for a house would be in a developed area with no canals around. I would fence in my yard for my dog. Would I have to be on guard every time I let him out? Is there dog parks that don't have ponds and canals around? Is it common to have venomous snakes in your yard? I don't want to sound redundant but I do worry about these things. Thanks for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2018, 10:48 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
I'm an animal lover, so I fully understand your concerns. I have lived in Florida since the late 70's, and, while we have alligators, they are generally either in canals or in a lake. Snakes here are generally the non poisonous variety, and are more afraid of you than you are of them.

Tons of people have dogs here and we only hear of a very, very few attacks on them per year. You have a better chance of getting hit with lightning.

Funny story. When we moved to Florida from Pa, we found a little skeleton in one of the rooms in the house we were moving into. We thought it was a baby alligator. Turned out it was a dead lizard, about 3 inches long ! So, I can't laugh too much at your worries about gators and snakes.

Come on down, you and your pup will be fine.

Old 03-30-2018, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I'm an animal lover, so I fully understand your concerns. I have lived in Florida since the late 70's, and, while we have alligators, they are generally either in canals or in a lake. Snakes here are generally the non poisonous variety, and are more afraid of you than you are of them.

Tons of people have dogs here and we only hear of a very, very few attacks on them per year. You have a better chance of getting hit with lightning.

Funny story. When we moved to Florida from Pa, we found a little skeleton in one of the rooms in the house we were moving into. We thought it was a baby alligator. Turned out it was a dead lizard, about 3 inches long ! So, I can't laugh too much at your worries about gators and snakes.

Come on down, you and your pup will be fine.
What part of PA did you move from? I'm originally from Pittsburgh.

Old 03-31-2018, 05:09 AM

1,209 posts, read 1,426,766 times
Don't live there yet, but I have seen a fair number of doggie day-resorts and such just driving around. Can't think Cape Coral, even on the water, being that much more dangerous than living with the assortment of desert critters. Yes, there is nothing like a gator in Henderson, but I would think that a 70lb dog would give a suburban gator some pause and look for an easier meal. I would think your dog would have to go down to the water's edge in a canal to be in any real danger. I guess it would also depend on how much of an outdoor dog your's is; it might be too humid for your furry friend to hang outside for too long.

https://www.bringfido.com/attraction...e_coral_fl_us/

Old 03-31-2018, 07:12 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro4x2112 View Post
What part of PA did you move from? I'm originally from Pittsburgh.

Me too. Grew up in the Belle Vernon area, then lived all around that part of the State, ending up in Latrobe. You ?

Old 03-31-2018, 09:04 AM

122 posts, read 201,313 times
I would not worry about a gator. Especially since you won't be living by a canal or lake. Not sure if Bufo toads are in Cape Coral or not.
Bufo toads have been showing up alot down here. I've had many friends dogs encounter them. I would be very careful of them because they will poison and kill your dog.

Old 03-31-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Me too. Grew up in the Belle Vernon area, then lived all around that part of the State, ending up in Latrobe. You ?
I grew up in North Hills and then lived out by the airport for 10 years. I've been out in Vegas for a few years now. I've gotten used to warm sunny weather lol. After being out here I don't think I could ever live in the cold again.

Old 03-31-2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucifer View Post
Don't live there yet, but I have seen a fair number of doggie day-resorts and such just driving around. Can't think Cape Coral, even on the water, being that much more dangerous than living with the assortment of desert critters. Yes, there is nothing like a gator in Henderson, but I would think that a 70lb dog would give a suburban gator some pause and look for an easier meal. I would think your dog would have to go down to the water's edge in a canal to be in any real danger. I guess it would also depend on how much of an outdoor dog your's is; it might be too humid for your furry friend to hang outside for too long.

https://www.bringfido.com/attraction...e_coral_fl_us/
I'm not sure about humidity but heat doesn't bother him. When it's 120 degrees outside it doesn't slow him down. Now on the rare occasion when it rains ... different story. He acts like a baby and won't even walk outside. Back in PA he wouldn't go outside in the cold. Believe it or not in Vegas you never see any desert critters... I've never seen anything other than a rabbit and occasional coyote. I spend A LOT of time going out into the desert and have never seen a snake or scorpion. I do however think the gators in Cape Coral are probably safer than the crime and drivers in Vegas. One thing I really like about Cape Coral when I visit is how quiet it is.

Old 03-31-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agstacker View Post
I would not worry about a gator. Especially since you won't be living by a canal or lake. Not sure if Bufo toads are in Cape Coral or not.
Bufo toads have been showing up alot down here. I've had many friends dogs encounter them. I would be very careful of them because they will poison and kill your dog.
I've heard of those in Arizona I didn't know Florida had them. Where do your friends live that have had a problem with them?

Old 03-31-2018, 11:53 AM

122 posts, read 201,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro4x2112 View Post
I've heard of those in Arizona I didn't know Florida had them. Where do your friends live that have had a problem with them?
I live in Estero. I have a dog but never seen a Bufo. People in my community have had their dog get a hold of one. Luckily in all the cases they either had water with them or had a hose nearby to spray their dogs mouth. Their dogs mouth will begin to foam and you must spray water immediately in and around the mouth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area