Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 05:15 PM

2 posts, read 7,823 times

Advertisements

In the more than 3 years of living here, I have noticed that not only is everyone moving to the mountains, but Colorado is the most popular destination for Southwest Floridians to relocate to. So I need to ask, what is so attractive about Colorado for Southwest Florida residents? There is no ocean, no beaches, no parasailing, etc in Colorado, all there is to do is work and look at mountains, watch the snow come down in August, and sit in front of a fireplace.

Old 03-14-2019, 05:57 PM

1,217 posts, read 1,224,996 times
I've heard some move there for the legal weed.
Not that I consider that a good reason to move.

Old 03-14-2019, 06:06 PM

1,962 posts, read 2,707,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterescapee View Post
In the more than 3 years of living here, I have noticed that not only is everyone moving to the mountains, but Colorado is the most popular destination for Southwest Floridians to relocate to. So I need to ask, what is so attractive about Colorado for Southwest Florida residents? There is no ocean, no beaches, no parasailing, etc in Colorado, all there is to do is work and look at mountains, watch the snow come down in August, and sit in front of a fireplace.
Ever heard of skiing, hunting, fishing, camping, mountain biking, hiking, etc., etc.?

Old 03-14-2019, 06:24 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,424,560 times
Just like some Northerners are tired of the snow and cold, some Floridian must get tired of the heat and humidity and want something different. When I lived in the Keys, I did get a bit bored with everything green and flat all the time.

Old 03-14-2019, 07:30 PM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterescapee View Post
For a long time it was "North Carolina" as the preferred destination.

Old 03-15-2019, 11:03 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
For a long time it was "North Carolina" as the preferred destination.

Yep, I saw a lot of people dreaming of moving there. I lived there years ago, and I still like it better here in Florida.

Old 03-15-2019, 12:14 PM

2 posts, read 7,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10-23 View Post
Ever heard of skiing, hunting, fishing, camping, mountain biking, hiking, etc., etc.?
Hunting, fishing, camping, and hiking can easily be found right here in Florida, especially in the Florida Keys. Bicycling is widespread here in Southwest Florida, there's lots of bicycle friendly routes as long as you stay either on the sidewalk or on the shoulder (and don't be acting like it's an FBI/Homeland Security enforced capital felony to ride on the sidewalk in the United States, like doing so is 100 years to life and/or the death penalty!).

There is also water skiing in Southwest Florida. Snow skiing like in Colorado can be very dangerous, especially with lethal obstacles like cliffs, boulders, avalanches, and trees that can kill a skier or at minimum will leave him/her paralyzed and crippled.

Also, in Colorado, the warmest areas only have maybe 1 or 2 months a year for a bicycling season. It is foolish and suicidal to ride a bicycle when it is 40 or colder. No matter how well you layer, your own sweat will saturate those layers and cause them to lose all of their insulating capabilities, resulting in hypothermia. No fabric can or will ever be capable of retaining an ounce of insulation when wet. Not wool, not cotton, not polyester, not fleece, not silk, not nylon, not anything.

Old 03-15-2019, 03:44 PM

3,961 posts, read 4,384,986 times
If someone is going to pick up their family and move half way across the country, I'd certainly hope it is for more than snow sports and marijuana.

The reality of these types of moves is that they are as varied as the people doing it. CO has a very robust economy, a broad range of social and political differences, and a plethora of recreational activities. We also have a considerably different physical atmosphere that has the ability to give people an experience to a wide range of weather types through all seasons. The wide open vistas, tall mountain peaks, high altitude parks, crisp and dry air are things some people thrive upon.

I'm not going to nit-pik all you misperceptions, but given your embellishment of what CO is and isn't, I'd also have to assume you are similarly embellishing the "everyone is moving to CO" portion as well. But, if you are as averse to snow skiing and cool weather recreation as your username presents yourself, perhaps that is what is driving your lament.

But don't get me wrong, transitioning from FL to CO is not easy. People doing this relocation are going to have to be dedicated to it. But doing so will provide them with a considerably different life experience than what is found in FL. Some folks out there are very happy to try that. Just because you aren't willing to do so, doesn't mean you have to understand it.

Last edited by TCHP; 03-15-2019 at 04:45 PM..

Old 03-16-2019, 08:44 AM

1,599 posts, read 1,429,361 times
OP, Can you cite you source?

Old 03-17-2019, 10:13 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,089,107 times
I am sure it goes both ways, I don't know anyone personally that moved from florida to Colorado but I do know three families that have moved from Colorado to Florida in the last year. all came for high paying jobs and wanted to be close to the beach 2 of the 3 spend a lot of time on boats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area