Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Florida: foreclosures, sell my house, housing, medical industry, blackberry.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 06:38 PM

26 posts, read 72,923 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone, Ive been reading the forums for the past couple days now and wanted to thank everyone for all the great info they have unknowingly gave me

My fiance and I are looking to make the move down to Florida after spending our whole lives up in Springfield MA. We will be looking in the Cape Coral/Fort Myers area I think. From reading the posts, looking on line and checking out multiple realty websites, it looks like these are the places for us to go.

I am 27 and she is 25, with our two dogs (a 100lbs german shepherd and a 3 lb yorkshire terrier).

Any info, as far as meeting people, places to hang out or check out from a social standpoint is appreciated.

One question that I do have is the screens around the pools...are those durable? My german shepherd has a tendency to either run through screens or rip them...big goofball.

Again, thanks for any info, Ive found a lot here....so anything you can give up to offer about locations to look for house (budget between 3-400k) places for hang outs(bars, nightlife etc). Im sure I'll have more questions but Ill hold off and search the forums some more!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 06:09 AM

81 posts, read 232,524 times
I'll sell you my house. It's in the range you listed. It's also conveniently located off Daniels, which is a prime Fort Myers location. It's within 5 minutes of the interstate, 10 minutes of the airport, 5-10 minutes from all kinds of shopping, bars, restaurants, etc. I just put in a white PVC fence in the back yard too, so your dogs would be fine, and the fence has a lifetime warranty.

To get off my personal agenda....

Fort Myers/Cape Coral is a fine place to live. However, it is really bad down here as far as work goes. Like many other people have stated in other posts, if you don't have a job, or don't have enough capital to live off for 6 months or more without work, I'd think long and hard about moving into the area right now. It will recover, because people don't retire to Alabama, they want to retire to Florida. It's just an ugly picture right now consisting of layoffs, commercial establishments closing (ranging from national chains to local mom/pops), foreclosures, foreclosures, foreclosures.

That said, it still is a nice area to live in. If you have a steady, secure job, come on down. Now is the time to buy property here. I'm a 31yr. old native, and I haven't seen things like this since I was old enough to care about, or understand real estate. It will rebound.

Also, I wouldn't trust a screen to hold in a German Shepherd. My bulldog tore through a screen like it wasn't even there when he wanted to get out, and he was only 50ish pounds.

I will sell my house too.....

Old 01-20-2009, 08:21 AM

26 posts, read 72,923 times
Thanks for the info....sorry I cant help out with the housing, we wont be moving until September....as far the economy, well pretty much everywhere you look, its dismal, but knock on wood, im pretty secure in my job. My fiance is self employed as a court reporter.

And I didnt think the screen would hold him, wishful thinking, nothing is perfect i guess haha

Old 01-21-2009, 10:55 AM

1,024 posts, read 3,343,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsirois831 View Post
Hey Everyone, Ive been reading the forums for the past couple days now and wanted to thank everyone for all the great info they have unknowingly gave me

My fiance and I are looking to make the move down to Florida after spending our whole lives up in Springfield MA. We will be looking in the Cape Coral/Fort Myers area I think. From reading the posts, looking on line and checking out multiple realty websites, it looks like these are the places for us to go.

I am 27 and she is 25, with our two dogs (a 100lbs german shepherd and a 3 lb yorkshire terrier).

Any info, as far as meeting people, places to hang out or check out from a social standpoint is appreciated.

One question that I do have is the screens around the pools...are those durable? My german shepherd has a tendency to either run through screens or rip them...big goofball.

Again, thanks for any info, Ive found a lot here....so anything you can give up to offer about locations to look for house (budget between 3-400k) places for hang outs(bars, nightlife etc). Im sure I'll have more questions but Ill hold off and search the forums some more!

Thanks!
You can buy our home in September. LOL We have 3 large dogs who are also goofballs, and have fenced in our 1/2 acre property. We did a black fence and covered it in Blue Passion Vines which are butterfly havens and gorgeous. Our home is large (2400 sq. feet), and we have a screened in pool. The entire home is open to the pool and the landscaped backyard that is huge. (great for doggies) We live 10 minutes from the airport, 2 minutes from Coconut POint Mall, 10 minutes from central Ft Myers, 7 miles to the beach, 15 minutes from downtown in off season, and 20 minutes during season. IM me if you want more info. We are relocating in late summer/early fall up north for family.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:56 AM

We are in our young 30's, and I can recommend some great places to hang.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:04 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,091,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewLew View Post
You can buy our home in September. LOL We have 3 large dogs who are also goofballs, and have fenced in our 1/2 acre property. We did a black fence and covered it in Blue Passion Vines which are butterfly havens and gorgeous. Our home is large (2400 sq. feet), and we have a screened in pool. The entire home is open to the pool and the landscaped backyard that is huge. (great for doggies) We live 10 minutes from the airport, 2 minutes from Coconut POint Mall, 10 minutes from central Ft Myers, 7 miles to the beach, 15 minutes from downtown in off season, and 20 minutes during season. IM me if you want more info. We are relocating in late summer/early fall up north for family.
Hey LewLew,
I've notice that you are a regular poster here. It sounds like you have a really nice house. Where are you going - up north? Are you still staying in Florida or are you heading out completely? Good Luck on your transition.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:16 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,925,572 times
OMG! I can't believe you are moving I just talked to your FIL a few days ago and he didn't even mention it to me. Is mom going with you or has she already moved? How's hubby doing? Are you moving back to Ohio? I haven't even been able to see that darling little one yet.

Hey, I just left a message on your cell-the 904 one. If you call back in the next day or so call me at night on my home phone 'cause I'm having problems with my cell.

In reference to this thread I'm sure you've found all the hip and cool places to hang by now.

We'll have to get together sometime before you leave.

Quote:

Old 01-21-2009, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
Hey LewLew,
I've notice that you are a regular poster here. It sounds like you have a really nice house. Where are you going - up north? Are you still staying in Florida or are you heading out completely? Good Luck on your transition.
Hi there...it's not for sure yet. We are going up north b/c we are now parents. Where we live in FL isn't great for raising kids, and there are too many seasonal residents. Thus, for his sake, there isn't a real sense of community. We would be heading to Cleveland.

It's where I grew up, and he would have cousins his age, aunts/uncles/extended family, and still have one set of GPs in FL. We think by NOT living here, that we can enjoy all the great things FL has to offer. We will come down for extended vacations and be able to beach/boat/fish every day. By living here, and both working stressful, jobs with long hours (my DH only has one day off a week) we don't get to truly enjoy FL. We are indoors all the time, and have very little stressfree "free" time to take advantage. Thus, we love FL, but don't love the "everyday" living in FL.

If we weren't new parents, we wouldn't be leaving or even thinking of leaving.

Old 01-21-2009, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
OMG! I can't believe you are moving I just talked to your FIL a few days ago and he didn't even mention it to me. Is mom going with you or has she already moved? How's hubby doing? Are you moving back to Ohio? I haven't even been able to see that darling little one yet.

Hey, I just left a message on your cell-the 904 one. If you call back in the next day or so call me at night on my home phone 'cause I'm having problems with my cell.

In reference to this thread I'm sure you've found all the hip and cool places to hang by now.

We'll have to get together sometime before you leave.
Hey there! Not FOR SURE yet. We are tossing around the idea for loads of reasons, but mainly for our little one. I'll give you a call as my 904 cell doesn't get reception here, so I would have never known you called me. We must hang if we go. MIL and I spoke at length today...she is cool with it if we go, and understands why. Mom would go, as all aunts/uncles/cousins etc are up there.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:05 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,091,177 times
Quote:
Hi there...it's not for sure yet. We are going up north b/c we are now parents. Where we live in FL isn't great for raising kids, and there are too many seasonal residents. Thus, for his sake, there isn't a real sense of community. We would be heading to Cleveland.

It's where I grew up, and he would have cousins his age, aunts/uncles/extended family, and still have one set of GPs in FL. We think by NOT living here, that we can enjoy all the great things FL has to offer. We will come down for extended vacations and be able to beach/boat/fish every day. By living here, and both working stressful, jobs with long hours (my DH only has one day off a week) we don't get to truly enjoy FL. We are indoors all the time, and have very little stressfree "free" time to take advantage. Thus, we love FL, but don't love the "everyday" living in FL.

If we weren't new parents, we wouldn't be leaving or even thinking of leaving.
Wow! I was surprised, because you've always been positive about Florida. And, you feelings are not lost in this post either! I hope the job scene works out for you. I know that the job market in Cleveland isn't very good right now! I have a number of friends from there. Several people I worked with relocated from Cleveland because the job market is not that good, so as many people say here, make sure you nail something down before you head North. I have friends from my home town in WNY that previously were from Cleveland, I think there are alot of good similarities. Stress, sometimes can be a self imposed constraint {pausing for thought} . . . but regardless of the cause - its not a good thing. Surrounding youself with friends and people you care about and that care about you can do wonders, especially as you said if they can bring those things to your kids too! BUT . . . Florida will miss you if you do go! Just don't leave CD - O.K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area