Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 08:35 AM

32 posts, read 88,750 times

Advertisements

I hope that all residents will turn out to protest the "re-vote" on the UEP. I do understand families that have alredy been robbed by our local government believe that extending the grief will lower their current water bill. This is simply false. I am not in an area that is up for the expansion at this time, but I'll be there to stand with the families trying to save their homes from our beloved City Council. Remember that, due to lower home values, these people can't even refinance their homes to secure the $18,000.00 price tag. How will forcing more families into forclosure serve our community?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 11:01 AM

206 posts, read 449,475 times
Having water and sewer is inevitable. It has to be done. Why they did it this way is beyond me. You build the infastructure first and then expand the communities. It seems Cape coral did it backwards. Very poor planning and now the citizens are paying.
You just can't have all those houses without municipal water and sewer.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:15 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,727,435 times
YEP! thank council woman Dolores Bertolini for this one....

Hopefully the constituency will make their displeasure with her known and refuse to Re Elect her at the polls this year.

That's right, her term expires in November this year. Hopefully she doesnt get another one. But if this UEP passes this time, I have a feeling she will be paid off quite handsomely enuf to enjoy her retirement...........

worth a quick read.......

http://www.news-press.com/article/20...0393/1125/SS15

Old 08-31-2009, 11:29 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,510,271 times
Good luck to the residents of CC. This was probably the #1 reason that kept us from buying in CC & I see that even a few years later it has not been resolved in any manner that makes it affordable for the residents. That is truly unfortunate.

And it was done backwards out of pure greed.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:45 AM

301 posts, read 1,153,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby24 View Post
You just can't have all those houses without municipal water and sewer.
You certainly CAN go without municipal water & sewer. It's called well water & septic. This is definitely not the time to be expanding municipal services and forcing residents to hook up.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:16 PM

I know all about water and septic, however when you have a certain amount of houses all on top of each other on small lots that's a lot of septic systems. The same goes for well water. It's just not an environmentally sound way of doing things.
You certainly can't keep building without municipal services. And despite current conditions I'm sure the government in Cape Coral are hoping at some point growth will resume and they have to be ready for it.
It's too bad they didn't realize that in the first place.
Can't you pay off the assessments over 20years? My mother in law is doing that I believe. Is that $1000.00 a year?
That's not even 100 dollars a month. I thing the residents of Cape Coral are gonna have to live with the inevitable price of progress.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:59 PM

32 posts, read 88,750 times
We will not live with the inevitable price of progress at this time. We WILL become one of the thousands of displaced families. The price of the UEP is only the begining, there's the price of water (which we now get for free) there is the price of having someone come to hook us up to the utilities. There are the income taxes we'll have to pay on the money that we earn to pay for the UEP. These are just some of the costs. remember our homes have dropped as much as 50% in value. No bank in the country will refinance us to pay for the expansion. Now with 13% unemployment we are forced to put out another few hundred dollars per month. You must be kidding. Also, there is no progress. No one is applying for building permits. We are really getting JACKED.

Old 08-31-2009, 01:23 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,510,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvelte View Post
You certainly CAN go without municipal water & sewer. It's called well water & septic. This is definitely not the time to be expanding municipal services and forcing residents to hook up.
The residents are not being given the choice, which is incredibly wrong. I believe that there is a reason for requiring it & maybe someone who lives on the Cape can clarify.

I don't know many who have $18,000 laying around for the heck of it...

With the median income in CC, how the heck do they afford residents to pay?

But, I do remember hearing a coucilman say oh so eloquently "A lien will be put on the home"....

Again, just best of luck to the residents. Not an easy situation.

And it's been going on now, for like what, 4 years?

Old 08-31-2009, 02:06 PM

Is it true or not that you have 20 years to pay it off? I may be misinformed about that. I certainly know my relatives didn't have to pay it up front.

Old 08-31-2009, 02:29 PM

301 posts, read 1,153,930 times
[quote=121804;10542005]The residents are not being given the choice, which is incredibly wrong.
Problem is, wherever this happens across the country, residents don't usually have a choice. When the municipality decides (behind closed doors) that this is what's best for everyone, there is no choice. Everyone has to hook up, or move. It should be illegal. It should be voted on.
This happened to my mother 10 yrs ago in Michigan, and it happened to me at my last house.

I just had to put in a new septic system at my current house (in Charlotte County). Hopefully the county is correct in that public sewer will not come to my area for many years!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area