Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 03:03 PM

35 posts, read 120,425 times

Advertisements

I noticed that there are a lot of people considering a move to Florida, I just want to give some helpful advice to everyone considering the move. First, seriously spend some time here, not just a two week vacation, but spend some time here away from the tourist traps. Get into the communities and mingle with the people. People here, are very different, the native people, have a deep resentment towards transplanted people, they are very threatended by northerners who move down here.
Second, the Florida dream has gone bust, six years ago when I moved down here, people dreamed of moving here, buying a house for 100000 and selling it for a half million two years later, this time is over. Our economy is built around three things, agriculture, tourism, and construction. Two of the three have gone bust, this translates to a lot of unemployed people. Speaking of the Florida dream, realize that when you relocate, you are relocating for a reason, try and make this place your home. One of the problems here is the wealthy older people from up north who live here for six months do not want to contribute to this community. One of the main problems here is the retirees do not want to contribute by the way of taxes, they want all of the benefits, but do not want to support things like parks, schools, public recreation, because as they will tell you they already built this for their kids up north.
Third, if you have kids, please realize that Florida is in trouble, and this translates to trouble in the schools. Up north when you have troubled children they are placed with highly trained teachers who are equipped to deal with the problems, in Florida, these children are placed in the same classroom with your children, and most of the teachers time are taken up with children with profound learning disabilities, physical disabilities, and discpline problems, or a combination of both. Finally, Florida is a refuge, any low lifes that are on the run end up in Florida, because you can live in a park, woods, or the streets and not worry about freezing to death. This translates to what I feel as a disproportionate number of child predators in the state. The states penal system is cutting back and releasing a lot of these predators, to make way for more violent offenders.
Florida is the land of the have's and have not's if you can afford a home in a gated community, on a barrier island, afford private school and live a cloistered life, and have the means to provide for your children everything the public schools and the community does not. Then Florida will be a land of paradise for you. If you do not have the means it is the land of constant worry, hurricanes, crime and job security. Again, this is just my opinion, most of this thread is negative, and it is easy for people, in the middle of winter, struggling with a bad economy to think Florida is paradise, however it is not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 03:28 PM

106 posts, read 337,839 times
Paradise is an idealized place in which existence is positive, harmonious and timeless. It is conceptually a counter-image of the miseries of human civilization, and in paradise there is only peace, prosperity, and happiness. Paradise is a place of contentment, but it is not necessarily a land of luxury and idleness. Paradise, Shangri-La is only a Paradise if it's isolated from the outside world.
When you find Paradise let me know and maybe I could put some money down for a mortgage on a foreclosure.

Old 01-31-2009, 05:16 PM

1,024 posts, read 3,346,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgcty1 View Post
I noticed that there are a lot of people considering a move to Florida, I just want to give some helpful advice to everyone considering the move. First, seriously spend some time here, not just a two week vacation, but spend some time here away from the tourist traps. Get into the communities and mingle with the people. People here, are very different, the native people, have a deep resentment towards transplanted people, they are very threatended by northerners who move down here.
Second, the Florida dream has gone bust, six years ago when I moved down here, people dreamed of moving here, buying a house for 100000 and selling it for a half million two years later, this time is over. Our economy is built around three things, agriculture, tourism, and construction. Two of the three have gone bust, this translates to a lot of unemployed people. Speaking of the Florida dream, realize that when you relocate, you are relocating for a reason, try and make this place your home. One of the problems here is the wealthy older people from up north who live here for six months do not want to contribute to this community. One of the main problems here is the retirees do not want to contribute by the way of taxes, they want all of the benefits, but do not want to support things like parks, schools, public recreation, because as they will tell you they already built this for their kids up north.
Third, if you have kids, please realize that Florida is in trouble, and this translates to trouble in the schools. Up north when you have troubled children they are placed with highly trained teachers who are equipped to deal with the problems, in Florida, these children are placed in the same classroom with your children, and most of the teachers time are taken up with children with profound learning disabilities, physical disabilities, and discpline problems, or a combination of both. Finally, Florida is a refuge, any low lifes that are on the run end up in Florida, because you can live in a park, woods, or the streets and not worry about freezing to death. This translates to what I feel as a disproportionate number of child predators in the state. The states penal system is cutting back and releasing a lot of these predators, to make way for more violent offenders.
Florida is the land of the have's and have not's if you can afford a home in a gated community, on a barrier island, afford private school and live a cloistered life, and have the means to provide for your children everything the public schools and the community does not. Then Florida will be a land of paradise for you. If you do not have the means it is the land of constant worry, hurricanes, crime and job security. Again, this is just my opinion, most of this thread is negative, and it is easy for people, in the middle of winter, struggling with a bad economy to think Florida is paradise, however it is not.
Much of what you say is SOOOOO true. Living in FL is nothing like vacationing in FL. One of my family members said it best (she vacations in Sarasota every year) when I asked her if she'd consider moving down here. She said "why on earth would I destroy the idyllic place I have to go to get away from life. If I live there, I take all my "life" with me, and the beauty of why I vacation there is gone". It's a vacation paradise, and is gorgeous along the beaches. The rest of FL is very different. Living in Florida can be great for some; but I agree with you that everyone should spend more than just vacations down here to get to know the area first!!!

Old 01-31-2009, 05:32 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,934,500 times
So....which two things that boost Florida's economy are gone? Construction, and ???? Tourism? or Agriculture?
BTW, inclusion of children with disabilities in "regular" classrooms is a federal law, it's in every state. And not too many public schools in ANY state have a lot of money to spend on "special" teachers, they have to spend what money they have on aides to be with these special needs children one on one.

Old 01-31-2009, 06:05 PM

717 posts, read 2,811,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgcty1 View Post
Ahhhhh...paradise, what exactly is paradise? Paradise is different things to different people...and learning to accept the reality that there is no perfect place on this earth would be the first step in finding paradise.

Paradise is a dream that the mind creates at any particular moment in time--and paradise can change at any given moment in time. Sometimes my paradise is a cabin in the woods, by a lake, in the mountains. Then, when it's been a little too chilly, cloudy, dreary--my paradise is a secluded private beach with crystal clear water--with not another person in sight. Then, when I'm in my people mode--paradise is being out among people having a wonderful time--sometimes that's at Disney, sometimes Las Vegas, sometimes Miami, or Williamsburg, or any of thousands of other places I adore.

Paradise is not a constant--and it never can be--as long as you, the person, are always growing and changing. Learning to grow and change will create "paradise" for you.

I've moved several times in search of my utopia--In my wisdom through time I have learned that I leave one set of problems behind at a geographic location and eventually take on another "new" set of problems. Paradise is found in making those problems not really problems at all--but challenges to be overcome and triumphed over. Life was never intended to be Perfect--we would have no sense of value at all then. There could be no paradise without knowing hell.

I've been searching for my next "utopia", and I always make sure I take my journeys in the dead of winter--because long, cold, grey winters are the one thing that I never want to go back to. I live in central Florida--I haven't found anyplace yet that is gonna keep me as warm as here. I must admit though, searching the southwest and Texas will be my next journey--as it has been many years since I have been out that way.

So yes, I agree with most everything you said. There is a lot that is "wrong" with Florida--but there is also a lot that is "right" with Florida. It helps to believe that you are exactly where you are supposed to be and that you will move on when it is time to.

Old 01-31-2009, 06:50 PM

26 posts, read 72,996 times
I have heard a lot of people from Florida say discouraging things about moving south to here. Well I can understand, but for some of us (like myself) this will be a much better situation than where I am now.
Statistics
Crime 760 vs 260 no brainer
graduation rate up here is maybe 50%, private schools are not better than public.
welfare well thats through the roof,
unemployment, well if people here were employed to start, i sure the growing rate would be much higher.
just a few thoughts, a lot of us moving south do appreciate what you tell us, atleast I do, i understand that it is not paradise, where ever you are there is ALWAYS someplace better, if you can find a place where there is not a better, let me know..

Just remember, for those who say the economy sucks down here etc etc etc...the grass is always greener on the other side...with that said, Im goin to the fridge and grabbing something I will truly miss when I move...a ice cold BBC Hefeweizen Cheers!

Old 01-31-2009, 11:44 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,563,078 times
I for one would rather have this nice warm place than be up there with all the ice storms this year. No place is perfect. Happiness comes from within not where you live. Every place has different problems. I am from LI originally and when I check out their forum you have people wanting to leave their because it is expensive, high taxes, unemployment. I had really considered moving after all the hurricanes in 2004 and 2005 but then decided I could put up with that because you have time to get away if you wish.

Old 02-01-2009, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
I for one would rather have this nice warm place than be up there with all the ice storms this year. No place is perfect. Happiness comes from within not where you live. Every place has different problems. I am from LI originally and when I check out their forum you have people wanting to leave their because it is expensive, high taxes, unemployment. I had really considered moving after all the hurricanes in 2004 and 2005 but then decided I could put up with that because you have time to get away if you wish.
Yes, every place is not for everyone. Truthfully, FL is a nice place to live depending on what you are looking for. I think the happiest folks here are the ones who move for weather. However, just like you love winter as a child, and it grows old after a while....so can the constant heat. The other happy folks are those that are coming from places that may be worse, people who are vacationing, retired, or snowbirds. I love FL, and my husband and I have loved living here. However, we are now both very busy, working parents, and FL is no longer what we need in our lives. We want the best schools for our kids, and seasons for our kids. It will be a sacrifice for us...but that is what parents do to offer the best for their children. We will relish the family vacations we can take down here, and indulge in the wonderful things we love to do in FL. We don't like "living" in FL as an "everyday" thing. We no longer have time to lounge at the beach, our pool etc. We are having to dig deeper to the community offerings, the transient nature of the place, the sub-par schools etc. Everyone is basically right here. FL has a lot to offer, and also has negatives. The best advice on here is that you need to look at FL as something beyond what you know it as on vacation. There is much more than the fancy hotel, beach, pool side drinks and tiki bars. Then, decide if it's for you.

Old 02-01-2009, 06:18 AM

1,380 posts, read 5,936,177 times
Florida is a very large state. It has many diverse communities. It has 3 port cities, with import/export business. Numerous technology centers.
Not all people that live here fit the OP stereotypes. Lumping this entire state and it's people into a single class is ridiculous.
I've lived and worked in SW Florida for over 15 years. I prefer what I've experienced living here to what I've experienced in the Maryland/DC , central Mass, and the Denver metro areas that I've also lived and worked.
Much of the economy of America is based on agriculture. The current recession should be showing everyone just how much the economy of the US is based on construction, and almost every state and city has a board of tourism. So Florida is not that different from many other places.

I do think the paradise card is over played and many people look to Florida expecting things to magically get better in their lives. Then are disappointed to learn that real life exists here also.
As far a the school system goes, I believe that Florida has 9 of the top 100 high schools in the country.
Florida's population boom has occurred in the past 30 years. So in many ways this is a young state, having growing pains. The mature infrastructure of other areas of the country aren't here yet.
So if you are thinking of relocating and considering coming south, look at the different areas of the state. Expect to roll up your sleeves and work to make this state develop. Take the time to learn about the way of things here. Read the comprehensive plan (readily available on line) for each county that you're considering, to learn how that local area see it's future and the issues that it is attempting to tackle.

Old 02-01-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLBob View Post
Florida is a very large state. It has many diverse communities. It has 3 port cities, with import/export business. Numerous technology centers.
Not all people that live here fit the OP stereotypes. Lumping this entire state and it's people into a single class is ridiculous.
I've lived and worked in SW Florida for over 15 years. I prefer what I've experienced living here to what I've experienced in the Maryland/DC , central Mass, and the Denver metro areas that I've also lived and worked.
Much of the economy of America is based on agriculture. The current recession should be showing everyone just how much the economy of the US is based on construction, and almost every state and city has a board of tourism. So Florida is not that different from many other places.

I do think the paradise card is over played and many people look to Florida expecting things to magically get better in their lives. Then are disappointed to learn that real life exists here also.
As far a the school system goes, I believe that Florida has 9 of the top 100 high schools in the country.
Florida's population boom has occurred in the past 30 years. So in many ways this is a young state, having growing pains. The mature infrastructure of other areas of the country aren't here yet.
So if you are thinking of relocating and considering coming south, look at the different areas of the state. Expect to roll up your sleeves and work to make this state develop. Take the time to learn about the way of things here. Read the comprehensive plan (readily available on line) for each county that you're considering, to learn how that local area see it's future and the issues that it is attempting to tackle.
There are 5 charter schools that rank in the top 100 from 2008. However, it's the elementary and middle schools. Once you are in high school, you've been shaped. If you had a mediocre education, you are doomed by high school. Jacksonville has 3 of the schools. Jacksonville, in my opionion, is the best city in FL to raise a family.
The stuff you mention aren't the issues. Until FL becomes a place that isn't so transient, has an aging population that cares about community programs that don't effect them, and a year round population majority that actually contributes to taxes, community organization and improvement. Here in FM, all the Canadians, Europeans and the like aren't going to roll up their sleeves to help build the area...they go home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area