Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 05:33 PM

19 posts, read 52,298 times

Advertisements

I have been reading for a couple of nights both this and Fort Lauderdale boards. Can you spell NEGATIVE. So many of the contributors on these boards are so negative. Don't live here, or this or that place is "ghetto"... Does anyone have a short list of really nice, positive, fresh, new places or neighborhoods to live??? My wife and I are considering a move to SoFla. Schools are NOT a concern. We like what I believe most folks like. Clean, safe areas not too far, or too close. Gated? Not necessary. I expect to transfer there and with my job can live almost anywhere and still be close to work (I am in healthcare). I would like to keep home price in the area of 250k, plus or minus (I would like to pay it off in 15 yrs).

justNancy, if you read this, I respect your opinions. From what I've read you seem to be knowledgeable.

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 05:59 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,287,642 times
you sound like the ideal SWF resident.

things to think about....

- if a golfer, take care with golfing communities where the course is bundled with the condo...they can get into separate trouble and cause problems...my advice is to golf in a club separate from your condo...unless you really study the situation and know what you are doing
- as per everyone elses advice, commit in stages, start with short visit and tour your area, talk to future collegues to find out where they live, rent month to month before renting for a year, rent annual before buying, buy very very carefully, and only if you know you will be around for a long while
- how social are you? gated communities can provide a built in social life
- how comfortable are you with dealing with Florida style crime? gated eliminates some worries, but like anything, is not an absolute
- how are you with extreme summer heat? I am told being right on or close to the gulf is more moderate than being further inland
- how afraid are you of hurricanes and evacuation? close to the 75 on fema low risk ground is safer and evacuation is less likely
- what are your interests? tennis, boating, nature, clubbing, horses, golf, flying, kayaking, fishing???

$240k will get you one of these in my neighbourhood - 2 story condo

http://www.stockdevelopment.com/images/dbfiles/model-elevation/paseo_0001s_0002_greensplit1new.jpg (broken link)

Old 02-06-2010, 06:29 PM

917 posts, read 2,618,200 times
kroeran, nice post.

What's your drive time to I-75, and whats the drive time the other direction to the beaches?

Old 02-06-2010, 06:58 PM

2 miles to 75,
16 miles/30 minutes to FM beach according to google maps
20 miles/40 minutes to Sanibel

Old 02-06-2010, 07:12 PM

19 posts, read 52,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kroeran View Post
you sound like the ideal SWF resident.

$240k will get you one of these in my neighbourhood - 2 story condo
That's what I'm talkin' about!! Thanks so much! I did check out that development, very nice. Pretty much hit the nail on the head. Without seeing the surrounding areas and access roads, I could almost say that I would live there. It is exactly the type of place we are seeking. If anyone else contributes to this thread, please use Paseo as a guide.

Thanks again kroeran.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:19 PM

917 posts, read 2,618,200 times
Thanks, just curious.

My biggest mistake when I bought in the Cape was the long drive to get to 75 to commute to work.

Old 02-06-2010, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apesxux View Post
That's what I'm talkin' about!! Thanks so much! I did check out that development, very nice. Pretty much hit the nail on the head. Without seeing the surrounding areas and access roads, I could almost say that I would live there. It is exactly the type of place we are seeking. If anyone else contributes to this thread, please use Paseo as a guide.

Thanks again kroeran.
as with any development, check out the MLS resales before putting yourself in the hands of the developer's salesman and rent before you buy.

there is a huge difference in the lifestyle of being in a townhouse-pool-quad vs apartment-pool-quad (stairs) vs Casita-semi-detached (more windows, no neighbourhood pool) vs single family home (just town centre resort pools) vs townhouse-non-pool-quad (just town centre resort pools, lower HOA)...facing pool vs facing park, inside-quad balcony vs not....and on and on, rent before you buy

also, always always always (did I say always?) sit in on an HOA meeting before putting any money down on anything, to get a sense of HOA politics and current issues and so that there are no surprises, and rent before you buy

my other advice is maintain maximum mortgage on real estate in high risk areas such as Florida, even if you are in a position to own cash, especially condos where more things can go wrong out of your control, so that if things go sour, you can walk away from 20% of equity rather than 100%, oh yeah, and rent before you buy

Old 02-06-2010, 09:05 PM

1,500 posts, read 3,338,841 times
Hey, stop complaining about everybody complaining.

Then check out my post under the strategic default thread and you'll find a deepwaterfront home for under $150,000. Out of the $100k I just saved you, take $50k and get yourself one of these:
http://newimages.yachtworld.com/2/0/9/6/2/2096244_2.jpg?1248117925000 (broken link)

Then you still got another $50k for beer and snacks. Welcome to Florida & happy sailing.

PS. What is most often referred to as South Florida is really kinda just Dade, Broward & Palm Beach counties. Just north of that is the Treasure Coast, north of that is the Space Coast, Tampa's the Sun Coast, etc. etc...

Last edited by housingcrashsurvivor; 02-06-2010 at 09:14 PM..

Old 02-07-2010, 03:34 AM

531 posts, read 1,163,440 times
COOL map! :-)

Old 02-07-2010, 07:05 AM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,031 posts, read 6,553,668 times
How do you post images?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area