Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2010, 12:15 PM

3 posts, read 6,351 times

Advertisements

I am a female international student, coming from Hanoi, Vietnam. I've lived in Dallas, TX for a year. I will move to Fort Myers for college study in 2010 Summer.

I really want to live with an American family.
Some things about me:
- Interested in Buddhism
- vegetarian
- Studious and hardworking
- Neat and clean
- a poor student
- I can share accommodation with around $250 per month

I am very thankful if anyone could host me. I can drive and take care old persons, so I am very happy to live with retirees.

If anyone pays attention to my situation, please leave an email to me at:

amitalee85@gmail.com

Thanks
Amita Lee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 05:46 PM

1,563 posts, read 2,873,365 times
Al Gore called....said he'd be glad to have you move in!

Old 03-04-2010, 11:38 AM

1,210 posts, read 3,283,206 times
some links to consider and possibly to contact:

Fort Myers Buddhist Meditation Classes | Meditation in Florida (http://www.meditationinflorida.org/meditation-center-fort-myers.php - broken link)

Unitarian Universalist Church of Fort Myers

Samudrabadra Kadampa Buddhist Center - Yoga Teacher in Fort Myers, FL 33908

Buddhist Channel | Buddhism News, Headlines | US South | Monks take part in Buddhist ritual

Churches-Buddhist | North Fort Myers, Fort Myers, Cape Coral - EzToUseBlueBook.com Yellow Pages

Old 03-04-2010, 02:52 PM

Thank Sami and kroeran.
As a foreigner, the life in the US is so strange to me, especially, I don't have many friends here. It is not easy for me to adapt the new life for the first year far from home. And I am a little worried when I decided to move to FL this Summer.
This is the first time I've posted my call for help in the public place like this, and I highly appreciate your replies. I will try to find a homestay family before moving there.
Thanks lot
Amita Lee

Old 03-04-2010, 08:15 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,283,206 times
What is your goal?

My initial thinking for you is that you should be seeking out a Vietnamese immigrant community and finding a bilingual second generation boy to marry.

by the way, Fort Meyers needs a Vietnamese restaurant. We have lots of Vietnamese in my northern home town, and I miss the wonderful and healthy Vietnamese food when I am in Florida.

Sometimes it is possible to stay in college/university residence during the summer inexpensively. Be very careful with homestay. There are a lot of rough characters in Florida (all types actually), and you may walk into an awkward or dangerous situation if you do not have very reliable references.

You may rather want to think of shared accomodation with other students, a room in a rented shared house. These households also provide the potential for forming friendships. You will need girlfriends so that you are in a position for going out to dance clubs where you may meet boys/men. It will be a challenge to meet people your age regardless in this part of the country.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:14 AM

Thank you for your advice.
My goal is studying and studying. I am living with my roommates in Dallas, they study at the same school and very nice. I will miss them when moving out.
The reason I want to find homestay because if possible, homestay is very useful for international students in cultivating another culture. However, homestay program in the US is for exchanged students, I am not an exchanged students. I know, finding homestay without observation of an governmental organization is dangerous. I just want to take a luck ^^
If not, I will find a room and roommate near the school
Once more time, thank you so much, kroeran
I can make some Vietnamese food. Opening a Vietnamese restaurant is a good idea. I will announce u if I could ^^
Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area