Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 02:58 PM

9,741 posts, read 11,161,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcare View Post
It appears that jerks hailing from the state of GA are a bit cranky as well?

Yachtcare has spoken.......
I have to agree with Ga Jerk point of view. There seems to be some very depressed/bitter folks in the FT Myers forum. I want to buy a 2nd home. Wifey likes Ft. Myers, I like the Phoenix area. I'm not sure I could hangout with such negativity. Yicks!

MN-Born-n-Raised has spoken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 06:14 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,332,984 times
"I have to agree with Ga Jerk point of view. There seems to be some very depressed/bitter folks in the FT Myers forum. I want to buy a 2nd home. Wifey likes Ft. Myers, I like the Phoenix area. I'm not sure I could hangout with such negativity. Yicks!

MN-Born-n-Raised has spoken."

It s
eems that most of the negativity is from the people that moved out of the area. I don't understand why they still post in this forum. A lot of folks really got burned with the real estate boom and bust that occurred here. If you're thinking of buying now you could only benefit from what occurred. During the boom years Lee County, Fort Myers and Cape Coral spent a ton of money on many improvements. The area built up with great shopping, restaurants and parks.
Your may want to listen to your wife instead of the posters on this site.

Old 04-03-2010, 06:22 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,770,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
"I have to agree with Ga Jerk point of view. There seems to be some very depressed/bitter folks in the FT Myers forum. I want to buy a 2nd home. Wifey likes Ft. Myers, I like the Phoenix area. I'm not sure I could hangout with such negativity. Yicks!

MN-Born-n-Raised has spoken."

It seems that most of the negativity is from the people that moved out of the area. I don't understand why they still post in this forum. A lot of folks really got burned with the real estate boom and bust that occurred here. If you're thinking of buying now you could only benefit from what occurred. During the boom years Lee County, Fort Myers and Cape Coral spent a ton of money on many improvements. The area built up with great shopping, restaurants and parks.
Your may want to listen to your wife instead of the posters on this site.
Not really, I post my negativity, and I still live here.... I also post positives when I think of one.

Chrisa70 the Yankee has spoken......

Old 04-03-2010, 09:53 PM

388 posts, read 1,125,751 times
Now I feel guilty for stealing the "...has spoken..." line.
Y'all quit "speaking".

Old 04-03-2010, 11:37 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
I have a lot of great things to say about the area, and have. A couple of weeks ago I almost moved back. There is good and bad in any area.

Old 04-03-2010, 11:51 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times
I think there is a big difference between negativity and realism. For many people, moving to FL will be a smart choice. If someone wants to retire and pickup a bargain, this is probably the time to do it. OTOH if an unemployed worker is down & out and looking for an opportunity, moving from one depressed area to another won't improve your quality of life.

Old 04-04-2010, 05:53 AM

376 posts, read 910,681 times
TY justNancy ~ very well writen ... I'd rather hear a point of view from someone who has actually lived & worked here.

As mentioned before, I love living here. Spouse & I moved in fall of '08, long after the bloom was off the rose, so to speak. We also brought our own jobs with us.

Old 04-04-2010, 08:39 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,400,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post

We are weighing our options and trying to decide on moving back or not. It's giving me an enormous headache.

."
Hiknapster, I always thought from your posts that you didn't like Florida. I'm surprised to hear you're thinking about coming back.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:47 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
Hiknapster, I always thought from your posts that you didn't like Florida. I'm surprised to hear you're thinking about coming back.
Oh! I sure was and I would be happy to tell you about it. I have several posts regarding this but I will give you a summary.

We have a lot of family in the area. A lot. So we came back for a funeral.

Well, color me wrong. The people in Cape Coral couldn't have been nicer...and friendlier. We were just blown away.

And if anything, I thought Cape Coral looked more established. You know, the flora and fauna had filled in. Granted, there were still empty lots but Cape Coral used to be one huge empty lot. It's a very, very large area, but it is slowly filling in.

So we are about to open an auto repair shop. We could have opened in Knoxville or Cape Coral. Well, anywhere really, but you know what I mean. We didn't do it because we were so afraid of the unemployment rate. There is a five point difference between there and here. So, we didn't go. And heck, we are already here so it makes it easier to just stay.

But that doesn't mean that we won't consider moving back at a future time.

The thing that I hated most about the area was the rude, callous people. Well, those folks are gone, baby, gone. Fort Myers/Cape Coral is back to the way it was in the 90s. Nice, friendly folks. No more Hummers. A few Priuses. People wave at you everywhere. I thought I was in Knoxville. Seriously.

I think all the mean people went to Charlotte, NC. There is an unhappy list floating around and I notice that they were on it. I had to laugh. A lot of the crabby people, the flippers and the opportunists ended up there.

So, if you are rude, you might want to look into Charlotte. You'll fit right in. (Not you, OrlandoREMiracle. The collective "you," so to speak. They know who they are.)

Old 04-04-2010, 09:48 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,728,615 times
Post #'s 55 and 56 speak volumes if one cares to ponder those words carefully.

Opinions based upon reality and real world experience by those that live and have lived in an area can, and ususally is mistaken for "negativity" by those with rose colored glasses that have visited an area and fallen in love with the "view", or the "weather" or "whatever"........

But of course I've made this speech in the past as well....what was that about different people asking the same questions(or making accusations of negativity)to the same people that are here on a regular basis trying to provide honest, pertinent information? Guess they missed that part, eh?

For the record, I still live here. There are plenty of positives and negatives, like anywhere else. As much as I would love to move, I feel my best window of opportunity is a couple of years in the past. Anywhere one moves, they are likely to find themselves in a dire situation regarding employment, and trying to break themselves into a new market area for themselves, if they do not have a support system in place, i.e. if thery dont know anyone there. I have that here, so I may as well stick in the area for a bit longer, until another opportunity arises to get out of dodge.......I'm always looking.

As for Cape Coral, I hopefully will be outta this town, by the end of this year. But I'll just head for the unincorporated areas of Lee County. The politics and victimization of the 'subjects" perpetrated by the city council here are becoming to much to bear, even for those that just rent here.

There is much more going on in Cape Coral than meets the eye. Some of it has been touched on in this thread, much has not, much to my surprise. But you'll all need to go conduct your own "due dilligence" program if you're really serious about moving here. I've grown weary of doing it, and being branded "negative" for my efforts........

Riko, I'm actually with ya on Phoenix. I think it beats SWFL all to heck and back. But if you get the chance, and the budget can handle it, look a bit further north of there.......it's called Sedona, and it is incredible!

YC.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area