Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 05:31 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,431,354 times

Advertisements

How much would it cost to park at a marina or storage facility?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2018, 07:36 AM

297 posts, read 509,511 times
Depends on a couple of things, how big is the trailer first of all. Second at a marina if you store your boat their on a rack, they ususally cut you a break on the trailer. But all said $35.00 to $75.00 a month.

Old 03-10-2018, 10:29 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
This thread brings back so many memories of the code enforcement Nazis in the Cape. Moved from there about 12 years ago, and have never looked back. No matter what you do there, you are violating some law.

One time I had a car stored inside my garage, and one day I pushed it into the driveway to sweep the garage. Here comes the Code Enforcement guy, my 90 year old neighbor across the street turned me in. So, I got a copy of the Cape Coral Codes and found that my neighbor had an illegal post in his front yard by the mailbox............so, I called Code Enforcement.

They came out and made the guy tear out his post, and I rode over on my lawn mower and said "There, how doe THAT feel ? Every time you do something wrong, I am going to have them at your door." He never caused me any trouble after that.

It is generally your neighbors who call them on you.

Old 03-12-2018, 07:40 PM

12 posts, read 17,782 times
My house is located on a canal lot. Rather than having a trailer sitting in my not so spacious back yard, interfering with the serene view of my and my neighbors canal, I was thinking of designing a deck that would tie my pool lanai to my boat dock with an accommodation to hinge one side of the deck and slide my boat trailer into it, concealing the entire trailer.

Now you may think this is going overboard, but I like the idea of keeping a trailer to pull my boat out quickly in the event of foul weather. Overboard is where my thoughts go when I think about how I can land my boat onto the trailer direct from the lift, without the use of a crane...Haha. My other thought is to install a steel post and pulley system into my garage and hoist the trailer up to the ceiling. The latter is probably more affordable and sensible since it requires no permits.

I am all for petitioning the over zealous committees in Cape Coral to allow registered trailers, rv's and trucks remain parked in the driveway of its tax paying citizens.

https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/...de-enforcement

"Cape Coral needs to recognize their thriving community is also a working and boating community. A good position for Cape Coral to take would be, "Helping our neighbors work smart and play hard, is an idea that works for us". Single rear axle work vehicles, boats, trailers and RV's that are properly registered should not present a threat to community code makers, but an opportunity to define a realistic approach to our communities needs. Even a basic permit system with minimal fees for sticker production and sticker management should help keep inoperable junk (even cars) out of the neighborhoods if they are not properly registered or stored in a garage."

Old 03-13-2018, 09:27 AM

12 posts, read 17,782 times
Here's a guy that thinks like I do...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ha0DiyERKdU

Obviously a boat trailer is much longer than this. I would have a trailer shop hinge and sleeve my trailer tounge to modify the length allowing it to fit within my garage.

Here is an example from BoatUS:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...21041470331336

Last edited by edoogma; 03-13-2018 at 09:33 AM.. Reason: to add content

Old 03-13-2018, 12:24 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,091,624 times
it seems every year or so this argument regarding trailers rears it's head again.

it's this easy...... the city has rules. the rules were here before you. Some people choose Cape Coral specifically for these rules because they learned from past experiences how irresponsible some people are with their properties that effect the value of their neighbors properties. If you don't like the rules choose somewhere that doesn't have those rules. I've had boats and RV's for the past 30 years. Every subdivision I have ever lived in doesn't allow RV's on properties. work within the guidelines and stop trying to get everyone to bend to fit you.

Old 03-13-2018, 03:29 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhkev View Post
it seems every year or so this argument regarding trailers rears it's head again.

it's this easy...... the city has rules. the rules were here before you. Some people choose Cape Coral specifically for these rules because they learned from past experiences how irresponsible some people are with their properties that effect the value of their neighbors properties. If you don't like the rules choose somewhere that doesn't have those rules. I've had boats and RV's for the past 30 years. Every subdivision I have ever lived in doesn't allow RV's on properties. work within the guidelines and stop trying to get everyone to bend to fit you.
The only problem with this is that the Cape is a little overboard in their restrictions. When I moved to the Cape in about 82, you could not park a van in your driveway...........didn't matter if you had a very expensive non commercial van that you used for transportation or not, no vans were allowed. However, your neighbor could park any POS car in their driveway, and that was ok. Finally, after years and years, they changed that stupid law.

The Cape was originally where people came to die, and they didn't want anything or anyone to ruin their day. If a neighbor did the slightest thing, they were on the phone , anonymously, to Code Enforcement, and the Nazis came to get you. Even businesses were not safe, Cape Coral "said" they wanted to encourage business, but they put every restriction on them that they could.

As the old people finally died off, more and more families began to move in, and the complexion did change somewhat, but not nearly enough. You never knew what law you were breaking, even as simple as putting out your garbage cans a little early, or forgetting to bring them in immediately. There used to be an old man who would walk around with a ruler, and he would measure the height of someone's lawn, and if it was a tad over the legal limit, he was on the phone to Code Enforcement.

I think everyone should live in the Cape...............once.

Old 03-13-2018, 05:55 PM

43 posts, read 48,826 times
I've been bitten by code enforcement - for buying a house with coral landscape rocks too close to the road. Someone complained about hitting the rock and getting a flat tire. A bit curious since it was in my yard but okay, I'll move it.

I still count myself an advocate of the rules as well as enforcement. I've moved once to get away from a neighbor who neglected their property. Twice I've had to endure living next to foreclosed properties. Today, someone finally moved in next door here in the Cape. That house has been empty for six years. A good chunk of my net worth is tied up in my home and I'm pleased that the city is there to help me maintain value by holding all of us to a high standard. Too many people just don't care.

Old 03-14-2018, 09:07 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,091,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
The only problem with this is that the Cape is a little overboard in their restrictions. When I moved to the Cape in about 82, you could not park a van in your driveway...........didn't matter if you had a very expensive non commercial van that you used for transportation or not, no vans were allowed. However, your neighbor could park any POS car in their driveway, and that was ok. Finally, after years and years, they changed that stupid law.

The Cape was originally where people came to die, and they didn't want anything or anyone to ruin their day. If a neighbor did the slightest thing, they were on the phone , anonymously, to Code Enforcement, and the Nazis came to get you. Even businesses were not safe, Cape Coral "said" they wanted to encourage business, but they put every restriction on them that they could.

As the old people finally died off, more and more families began to move in, and the complexion did change somewhat, but not nearly enough. You never knew what law you were breaking, even as simple as putting out your garbage cans a little early, or forgetting to bring them in immediately. There used to be an old man who would walk around with a ruler, and he would measure the height of someone's lawn, and if it was a tad over the legal limit, he was on the phone to Code Enforcement.

I think everyone should live in the Cape...............once.
I live in a gated community. I got a letter last week saying the sidewalk in front of my house needed to be cleaned that I was in violation of the covenants. the covenants are over 300 pages long. I didn't realize I was responsible for the sidewalk. Next day I pressure washed it. trash cans cannot be put out until the night before pickup and have to be out of sight from the road by sunset after pickup. Can't paint my house a different color without getting permission, can't cut down or plant a tree without permission... sounds very restrictive huh? It is, but it is hard to find a house in this neighborhood under $500k and a good portion go for over 1 million. When walking around it looks like a park everyone takes pride in their property (or they are forced to take pride in their property). Even with Cape Coral's restrictions I still have a next door neighbor that doesn't cut his lawn , it is a weed fest. Hasn't planted a single tree. has mold or algae all over the side of his house, screen in lanai is all ripped. leaves his trash cans at the street perpetually, has 2 trampolines in his backyard and a rusted out swing set. (not allowed to have trampolines in my gated community.
If someone came to look at my house in Cape Coral (which is kept pristine) they would look next door and see the eyesore and likely move on unless I dropped my price to offset my neighbors lack of pride. all other houses in the neighborhood are very nicely kept. Restrictions are meant to protect everyones properties not just one persons individual rights or freedom. If I wanted to live in an area where I can do whatever I want with and to my property I would stay clear of Cape Coral. People that don't get this are exactly why the restrictions are there. When I lived in New Hampshire there were no restrictions hardly anywhere and certain folks would really let their properties get out of hand. Old rusted out out campers , Cars up on cinder blocks , broken down snow mobiles, junk in the yard, grass a foot high, trash piled up on the side of the house.

Old 03-15-2018, 05:53 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,874,458 times
The minute you cross the line from Cape Coral to North Ft Myers you begin to see the difference,
Work trucks with trailers loaded with building materials,roofing and masonry supplies in driveways and yards.Cars,boats and trailers being stored and worked on.Various styles of storage sheds in yards,often with junk outside,some covered with tarps.Take a look at Google Earth some time and scan from CC to N Ft Myers.Some of the trailer parks are big enough to be seen from space.
I'll admit it was annoying to have to get a permit to replace a hurricane damaged fence in it's own footprint but it was a small price to pay knowing that my property values and way of life is not going to change because of a neighbor who has no pride in his home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area