Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 11:03 PM

261 posts, read 1,516,156 times

Advertisements

We are buying a pharmaceutical business in Euless, TX and are looking to move to one of the surrounding areas. We currently live in the Plano and would rather not drive 2+ hours (to and from work) each day. What are some good suburbs that are within a 20 minute drive to the HEB area? Preferably with newer homes (under $800K).. Good schools and low crime are most important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 06:41 AM

121 posts, read 404,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robzherenow View Post
We are buying a pharmaceutical business in Euless, TX and are looking to move to one of the surrounding areas. We currently live in the Plano and would rather not drive 2+ hours (to and from work) each day. What are some good suburbs that are within a 20 minute drive to the HEB area? Preferably with newer homes (under $800K).. Good schools and low crime are most important.
Coppell, I love it there! It is a town - I guess not really a suburb. I just like the town. I lived there for a short while until I found my current home. I also hear there are some really nice parts of Las Colinas - another town.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:55 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,693,073 times
Coppell is great, Southlake wouldn't be too far but the traffic pattern is difficult. Colleyville and Grapevine are wonderful. I'm not too big a fan of I Hurst and Bedford for your budget; they generally have older homes and a lower socio/econ area than your budget with kind of dull reputations.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:19 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,888,047 times
Colleyville is your best bet IMO--
there are plenty of surface streets going from Euless to Colleyville so you don't have to get on any freeways
GCISD is one of better ISDs in this area
there are plenty of newer homes for sale--and the market is soft in Colleyville now--Southlake too for that matter
but you might be looking for particular floorplan or lot size so you might not find what you want with all your wish-list

will PM a great site for Colleyville Southlake area

Grapevine has really one two subdivisions in the newer/500K+ range--but homes there are on that web site as well--Grapevine homes just really have small yards IMO--

Coppell is a nice area but frankly I think you can live closer and get involved in more community/business groups easier if you live closer to Euless--
owning a business means being part of the community's fabric...
Euless itself does not really have homes that you would want to look at except maybe the Bear Creek subdivision or the one on the corner of 157 and Cheek Sparger--those are newer custom homes--but small yards and some issues with flooding maybe--

Old 08-04-2010, 02:42 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,890,390 times
as loves2 said Colleyville would fit the bill. There are parts of Eulass that attend GVCV schools. Eulass and Colleyville blend together over by Heritage HS (Glade RD and 121 area).

IF you have kids in MS or HS and being in an excellent ISD is extremely important, then for your budget I would choose Southlake. GVCV schools are very good but seem to struggle more in MS/HS area. They should have more exemplary schools in the higher grades given the socio economic demographics of the area. (JUST my opinion).

Old 08-04-2010, 06:01 PM

11,858 posts, read 26,887,205 times
Coppell would NOT be a fun commute because of the highway reconstruction. Your only choices would be to drive straight through the middle of it, or take a bunch of side streets and sit through red lights.

Southlake could be done using side streets, but again, not the easiest commute.

Look at Colleyville. GCISD is very well-regarded and has many more National Merit Scholars than Carroll (Southlake) ISD does.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:47 PM

something to remember--
Southlake has NO apartments within its city limits--and the small part of Grapevine city limits that funnels into Carroll ISD has only SFR--no apartments--and bet there aren't any rental homes either...

Colleyville--by itself--has NO apartments--it probably has some rental homes and maybe some of those condos going up in the new section of the Town Center shopping strip--
so schools on the Colleyville side get no apt kids
GRAPEVINE however has lots of apartments--and therein lies the difference--
if you look at the stats for ONLY the Colleyville zone schools--scores are better

GCISD has MORE NMS because there are more students--it is a larger district--has 3 high schools and Carroll has only 1--
so even though the students are more homogeneous they are also fewer...
Does Southlake get as many NMS as Highland Park ISD--that would be a more fair comparison
or Coppell ISD--another fairly homogeneous small district

Southlake and Colleyville both have different flavors--
some people would not be happy in one and are in the other...
Colleyville is more rural than people think-- all most people see is the strip of 26 they drive down and that has become pretty commercialized in past7 years...

frankly I think Southlake is a better managed town than Colleyville--I think Colleyville bit off a lot with the big shopping center which still has vacant stores and some other planing/zoning...
Donna Arp who was the mayor went to work for the development company that put in the Town Center
It wants to add to its tax base but it can't get its traffic lights synchronized effectively...

Southlake has some people who really do not want to see the "standards" of the town brought down just to satisfy developers and put tax money into city coffers...eventhough builders/developers held sway there for decades--now there are some other businesses in town generating money and the increased retail presence has spread the power out a little

the fact that MOST of Southlake and the ISD are congruent is helpful and puts homeowners in sync with the city and the ISD's problems/solutions..
vs other towns where loyalties are split and it is difficult to get a central point of view/approach to problems...

commuting from Southlake would depend on where you wanted to live--
just like Colleyville which goes pretty far to the west--goes to precinct line/davis --

you need to decide on what commute time works for you

Old 08-05-2010, 08:22 AM

Quote:
frankly I think Southlake is a better managed town than Colleyville
Agree with loves2 on this one. Southlake I believe is one the the Best managed small cities in the state.

Southlake to Eulass is easy...esp for 800k south Southlake around Contiental blvd, is a straight shot down pool to Galde and Eulass...about what 10 -15minutes? As loves2 mentioned parts of Southlake would be closer than parts of Colleyville (North tarrant and Davis road area just to east is Colleyville)

And no GVCV ISD did not have more National merit scholarsin 2010 even though GVCV has 2 HS verses 1HS in Southlake.

Carroll Sr. High - total no. 11

Grapevine-Colleyville - total no. 9
5 - Colleyville
4 - Grapevine

Old 08-06-2010, 08:22 PM

none then at Heritage HS in GCISD--

Old 08-07-2010, 03:24 PM

Heritage is Heritage Colleyville. most call it Heritage HS, as there is no "Colleyville HS".
People in Colleyville will call it Heritage Colleyville to make the distinction that it is in Colleyville!! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
View detailed profiles of: