Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 09:56 AM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,912,044 times

Advertisements

Cant believe I haven't done a thread for the TRV yet. It's the biggest project in the city's history, and I haven't done anything with it. It will double the size of Fort Worth's urban core, adding new business, recreational, and residential areas to a dying part of the city. Anyway, here are some pics of what's to come......

http://www.trinityrivervision.org/WebImages/ModelImage2_a.gif (broken link)
http://www.trinityrivervision.org/WebImages/Gal_TrinityUptownSW.gif (broken link)
http://www.trinityrivervision.org/WebImages/BypassChannel_500x270.jpg (broken link)

Bypass Channel

Urban Lake Plaza

The Urban Lake Standard section

Streets

..... and it's all starting with TCC's new Downtown Campus
http://www.trinityrivervision.org/WebImages/TCC_Revised_500x270.jpg (broken link)

Here's the time line:
2000: Trinity River Vision Master Plan drafted
2003: TIF District created; Plan adopted by City
2004: Preliminary Trinity Uptown design completed
2004: Federal funding authorized
2005: Initial federal funding appropriated
2006: Receive Record of Decision from U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
2006: Final design and engineering of bridges and roadways
-then....
-now....
2008: Design and start construction of bypass channel
2010: Upper West Fork mitigation
2012: Modify University Drive
2012: Construct and install isolation gates
2013: Construct Samuels Avenue dam
2014: Extend White Settlement Road
2015: Excavate interior water feature
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 10:39 AM

5,412 posts, read 15,924,956 times
^ Wow, a 15-year plan. They're halfway through it.

I haven't really been around the Trinity River, but if this comes to fruition, I just might spend more time in that area.

Old 06-19-2008, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post
^ Wow, a 15-year plan. They're halfway through it.

I haven't really been around the Trinity River, but if this comes to fruition, I just might spend more time in that area.
.....That's the idea.....

They were inspired by a few places when making this project. Waterfront condos (like Vancouver), Riverside walkways (like the San Antonio river walk), a Boardwalk or deck where the old TXU plant is (like Baltimore), the Tarrant County College downtown campus (I guess it's supposed to be like NYU, only smaller) and maybe a small neighborhood around LaGrave Field (making it like a mini-Wrigley).

I rode around the area last Tuesday, and let me tell ya..... that part of the city really needs to be redeveloped.

Old 06-19-2008, 03:50 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,111,055 times
Not trying to sound snarky...this is a serious question. Are they incorporating plans to ensure the Trinity water level stays high enough to keep the river and in-town lake at a decently high level during the summer etc? I can envision empty gulches during dry spells that won't look so pleasing.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
.....That's the idea.....

They were inspired by a few places when making this project. Waterfront condos (like Vancouver), Riverside walkways (like the San Antonio river walk), a Boardwalk or deck where the old TXU plant is (like Baltimore), the Tarrant County College downtown campus (I guess it's supposed to be like NYU, only smaller) and maybe a small neighborhood around LaGrave Field (making it like a mini-Wrigley).

I rode around the area last Tuesday, and let me tell ya..... that part of the city really needs to be redeveloped.
Even though I don't have a bike yet and thus haven't ridden on Trinity trails, I can imagine what you're saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Shaft View Post
Not trying to sound snarky...this is a serious question. Are they incorporating plans to ensure the Trinity water level stays high enough to keep the river and in-town lake at a decently high level during the summer etc? I can envision empty gulches during dry spells that won't look so pleasing.
Also, on the flip side, after hearing about the tragedy Iowans are going through with flooding, how could it be assured that the Trinity won't overspill?

Old 06-20-2008, 09:12 AM

Well, I already know they're building a dam and gates to level out the water and keep it from flooding. Besides, since were not by a HUGE river like the Mississippi or the Ohio and because Fort Worth is built on hills and bluffs, flooding (if any) wont be as bad as we've seen in the Midwest. And I don't know exactly how they will keep the water up duing the summer, but I believe they will store water somewhere and release it when the water levels get low.

The planning for this project is actually alot older than you think. It's been in the works since the 70's. Maybe longer, because I've seen drawings from the 60's and 50's that featured some kind of redevelopment for this area.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:42 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,805,860 times
This project looks so great!

I want something REALLY different than here in Kentucky. More specifically, I want to move to Texas (okay, it's my first choice, anyway!) After visiting the state and conducting extensive on-line research, have narrowed my choices down to Houston and Ft. Worth. Strange combo, huh?

Anyway, if this project fully comes into fruition, it might give FTW an urban core that begins to rival Houston in terms of vibrancy. (A semi-educated guess, anyway.) Now, if only FTW could work on its skyline just a little bit. It looks like a very nice city and a laid-back counterpart to its neighbor (*cough**Dallas**cough*) to the east.

Last edited by EclecticEars; 06-20-2008 at 10:36 PM..

Old 06-26-2008, 09:37 AM

NEWS....

TCC will not be building on the other side of the river. Instead, three buildings on the Radioshack Campus have been taken over. This will be a slight change to the TRV since there wont be any reason to build the other side of the new campus now.

Old 06-27-2008, 08:02 AM

^ That's going to be a very nice county college and just a stone's throw from Sundance Square.

Old 06-28-2008, 10:30 AM

103 posts, read 676,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post
^ That's going to be a very nice county college and just a stone's throw from Sundance Square.
I'm excited about this change! ... and it makes great sense! Heaven knows all of the other campuses are busting at the seams (especially Northwest).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth