Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 07:41 PM

27 posts, read 99,345 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any information about the Azel area? Also, what makes the cost of living so high in Keller? Housing seems pretty reasonable, but on websites comparing cost of living, Keller is significantly higher than Fort Worth. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2007, 08:31 PM

1,379 posts, read 6,433,826 times
From my opinion and from what my experience is that Keller is more developed, more traditional housing, tracts and higher end homes. Azle, while it is developing, tends to have more mobile homes and double wides. Azle does fall into a SOB (sexually oriented businesses) so you will find more adult type stores than you will ever see in Keller.

We drove out from Lake Worth out to Azle (also it doesn't seem quite as convenient, but that could just be me not knowing all the streets) and there were probably five different SOBs on the way out to Azle proper.

The areas are also very driven by the particular ISDs here. While Keller ISD is going through a lot of challenges and changes, it is still highly ranked in the area.

Again, I have only been here for six months, so this is just my opinion. I am sure that others will speak up.

Old 06-30-2007, 08:51 PM

27 posts, read 99,345 times
Guingirl - thanks so much for that info! No wonder everything listed for Azel is so cheap! I'll definitely stay away from that area!

Old 07-02-2007, 11:12 AM

1 posts, read 5,415 times
That is not true! Azle does not have any SOB's within the city limits. They are in the unicooperated area between Azle and Lake Worth. If anything they are closer to Lake Worth.

Difference in housing? Keller is convienently located close to DFW Airport, Fort Wort, Dallas, Alliance Airport, Texas Motor Speedway.

Azle is in the country and you must commute, 30 minutes to Ft. Worth, 1 hour from Dallas..you get the drift!

Azle is not full of mobile homes or doublewides as the picture was painted. Are there some mobile homes in Azle? I'm sure there are some somewhere but I grew up there and my mother still lives there and the only "mobile home parks" are in a community about 3 miles from Azle called Pelican Bay, it is located on Eagle Mountain Lake.

I would recommend you take a drive to Azle and look around for yourself. It's not the white trash perverted community like implied!

Old 07-02-2007, 12:11 PM

1,379 posts, read 6,433,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guingirl View Post
From my opinion and from what my experience is that Keller is more developed, more traditional housing, tracts and higher end homes. ...

Again, I have only been here for six months, so this is just my opinion. I am sure that others will speak up.
Well...I am glad to hear that Azle wasn't what I saw and experienced. Apparently you felt strong enough to start an account or a new one to voice your opinion.

Old 07-06-2007, 11:35 AM

4 posts, read 12,487 times
Default Uhhhhhh

Azle is just plain nasty. Sure there are some nicer homes, but they are the exception rather than the rule. In general you will find a lot of dirty stores, dirty people, and rednecks if you are out and about in that town. Lots of non running vehicles up on bricks in front yards, etc. Keller is a world away, on the grow, much more civilized and clean. Sorry, I call it how I see it, and am a lifetime DFW resident, but have no ax to grind since I live in Arlington.

Gem

Old 08-04-2007, 11:23 PM

47 posts, read 211,583 times
We currently live in Southlake and are planning to build in Azle. One HUGE difference between areas like Southlake, Colleyville, Keller vs Azle is the property taxes. Our taxes will only be 25% of what our Southlake taxes are. Check out the Tarrant County Appraisal District where you can search taxes by the property address. You can actually see how different one area is from another. The School district has a huge impact. Also, check out Zillow.com.
Where are you moving in Azle?

Old 06-20-2008, 04:50 PM
ADC

1 posts, read 5,010 times
Default Happy with Azle

I know that this is an old thread, but I wanted to respond so that people who don't live here may not judge the area unfairly. I lived in Keller for 6 years, moved out of state for a few years and was moving back and I assumed to Keller. I spent months searching and any number of trips traveling to journey through homes with our realtor. Keller is shockingly crowded and there have been very few improvements made to the traffic situations. To be fair, some of the roads have been widened, but not nearly enough for the number of people who live in the area.

The main reason that we ended up in Azle was that we got a custom built home on over an acre of land that cost us about the same amount as any of the tract homes we looked at that were on 60'(or 70' or 80') x 120' lots. The quality was better, the area less crowded and the school my children attend is excellent. Taxes are way less. We have found a way to drive to work in Fort Worth and the mid cities that doesn't involve 199 or 820 / 35 at all.

There are no adult entertainment venues near me and as for the trailerparks... One of the neighborhoods that I looked at in Keller had a trailerpark built right directly across the two lane road that ran along the front of the neighborhood so I guess there are some trailers everywhere.

The people are nice out here, there are lots of established trees. stars at night, and deer in my front yard, and I never have to wait for a train. I am very happy with Azle.

Old 06-20-2008, 05:08 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,902,914 times
we went to the Azle beach last weekend. It was a nice snady bottom and gradual slope. A nice afternoon was spent by all out there.

We did drive around a bit...looking ofr a public beach!!
And we did see 1 mobil home park in Pelican Bay.... BUT...we also saw LOTS of very nice developments right on the water. (harbour something) off of sandy beach road.
They had a private marina with pool etc... very nice.

So I'd say it's pretty mixed as housing goes.
School bldgs looked very well maintained etc...

I know nothing about the schools district though...that one you'd have to check out.

The lake is very pretty. I didn't see any SOB in town...on 191 the hiway yeah but no biggie really.

Old 06-23-2008, 10:08 AM

63 posts, read 284,959 times
Azle's school district is somewhat concerning from what I've researched. It appears to have excellent elementary schools, but the junior high and high school aren't very well rated at all. Not terrible, but just above average compared to other schools in Texas. The area is very rural which is a good thing to me. But, it doesn't seem as clean and nice as say, the Weatherford area. Lake Worth seems like a nice area, but their school district's rating is flat out horrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth