Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 12:38 PM

30 posts, read 183,466 times

Advertisements

I don't live there yet but we are going to move to the FTW area soon. Can you give me a better idea of the area that this project is being built? Maybe some major roads that I can narrow it down using Google Earth. Is there some site that has more info that I can go to see about the whole project? I gather that it is mainly retail and housing and not much industrial correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 07:38 AM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,935,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beer980 View Post
I don't live there yet but we are going to move to the FTW area soon. Can you give me a better idea of the area that this project is being built? Maybe some major roads that I can narrow it down using Google Earth. Is there some site that has more info that I can go to see about the whole project? I gather that it is mainly retail and housing and not much industrial correct?
-The project will be built right across the Trinity River (hince the name, Trinity River Vision) north of downtown.
-The major roads in the project are: Main St., Henderson St., and White Settlement Road.
-The website: TRV Internet Site (http://www.trinityrivervision.org/TRVWeb/App_Pages/Projects/ProjectSummary.aspx - broken link)
-And this project will mainly be retail and housing, but will also feature recreation and a possiblilty for two schools. The only thing that will remind you of that the area (in the future) was once an industrial area is the old TXU plant, which is planned to be converted into something......

Old 09-04-2008, 12:05 PM

30 posts, read 183,466 times
For some reason I thought it was further out from the city. Wow that is quite a project. I can't wait to move to FTW. I keep finding more and more things to like about the area. I was going to sell my kayak but after looking at the map I see there are places to go on the river with it so I will bring it along.

Old 09-07-2008, 08:15 PM

3 posts, read 6,659 times
Default get informed

GoBarnettShale. com

Old 09-10-2008, 07:47 AM

24 posts, read 75,784 times
I am not trying to be rude here, but I would like to ask a question from the folks in this particular thread.
Why do you feel that building a skyline will make Fort Worth a better place? I am originally from Seattle, I have lived in small towns, mid-sized towns, and big cities. A skyline becomes something else for the residents to take for-granted. A skyline does not define the personality of a city...all a skyline does is give someone not from there the ability to say that is 'NY' or that is Seattle.

I have been told by many people that the natives of Fort Worth are very proud of their heritage and history...why not capitalize on that instead of trying to take it away?

Texas has Houston, Austin, Dallas, San Antonio. Although, I have not been to these cities, as we have just moved to Texas 3 months ago, but before you start talking about skylines, take into account that there a lot of people out there in the world that would rather visit Fort Worth because the city doesn't give the impression of being a big city...rather a country town that has just out grown its boundaries. I, personally, don't like big cities...but if I am going to go, I will go somewhere that doesn't scream Big City. I have visited Fort Worth and love the atmosphere there. In fact, we are moving from where we are in Texas to a town just south of Fort Worth.
We will, at some point, go to Dallas and check it out, just to say we have been there, but, we will not end up spending any great amount of time there.

This is not meant to **** anyone off, I am just wondering what a skyline would actually do for Fort Worth besides take away from the history and heritage of Fort Worth....

ps...skyscrapers do not necessarily mean more economic advantages...we moved from Reno, where they are trying to revitalize the downtown area, and a lot of the renovations, and new building is still standing empty (or close to), but taxes, fees, bond requests etc..have all gone up to pay for this revitalization - that hasn't drawn any new blood into the area.....

Old 09-10-2008, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waqt View Post
I am not trying to be rude here, but I would like to ask a question from the folks in this particular thread.
Why do you feel that building a skyline will make Fort Worth a better place? I am originally from Seattle, I have lived in small towns, mid-sized towns, and big cities. A skyline becomes something else for the residents to take for-granted. A skyline does not define the personality of a city...all a skyline does is give someone not from there the ability to say that is 'NY' or that is Seattle.

I have been told by many people that the natives of Fort Worth are very proud of their heritage and history...why not capitalize on that instead of trying to take it away?

Texas has Houston, Austin, Dallas, San Antonio. Although, I have not been to these cities, as we have just moved to Texas 3 months ago, but before you start talking about skylines, take into account that there a lot of people out there in the world that would rather visit Fort Worth because the city doesn't give the impression of being a big city...rather a country town that has just out grown its boundaries. I, personally, don't like big cities...but if I am going to go, I will go somewhere that doesn't scream Big City. I have visited Fort Worth and love the atmosphere there. In fact, we are moving from where we are in Texas to a town just south of Fort Worth.
We will, at some point, go to Dallas and check it out, just to say we have been there, but, we will not end up spending any great amount of time there.

This is not meant to **** anyone off, I am just wondering what a skyline would actually do for Fort Worth besides take away from the history and heritage of Fort Worth....

ps...skyscrapers do not necessarily mean more economic advantages...we moved from Reno, where they are trying to revitalize the downtown area, and a lot of the renovations, and new building is still standing empty (or close to), but taxes, fees, bond requests etc..have all gone up to pay for this revitalization - that hasn't drawn any new blood into the area.....
Trust me, revamping the skyline will not take away the history and heritage of this city... we're not Dallas. Just kidding.
No one is saying that having a better skyline will make the city better because, for one, Fort Worth is one of the best places you can live in this country, and many who live here have little complaints.
But most Fort Worthians I've talked to HATE our 6 skyscraper skyline. And the number of buildings and height is bad enough, but I mostly hate the architecture of our tallest buildings.
THIS is our tallest:

It's just a big box with steps on one side...
And it replaced THIS beautiful building:

WHY???

Look, no matter how big Fort Worth gets, it will always keep it's small town charm. Being right by Dallas, EVERY town in DFW feels smaller than it is.

And once again, no one is saying that Fort Worth will be better with a bigger skyline, but most of us do believe that we should have something better than what we have. Besides, there's plenty of pedestrian development going on in and around the central city. And we still have Sundance Square, the Cultural District, and the Stockyards. History shouldn't stop a city from growing.....

Old 09-10-2008, 01:35 PM

24 posts, read 75,784 times
ok..point taken on the boxy building..I agree that history shouldn't stop a city from growing...on this and a couple of other threads there is an overwhelming feeling that there are a lot of people that think new skyscrapers will make Fort Worth a 'better' place to live and that a skyline will make it all better...which speaks to my original post. I agree that the architecture that was replaced is a sorry statement on somebodys 'vision' for what is beautiful. It is a shame that gorgeous architecture is gone forever. I love Kansas City MO for its architecture. One thing I did absolutely love about Seattle was their ability to mix the old with the new.
For the last 18 years I lived in a desert, with very few old growth trees and a whole lot of new building, where they planted a seedling per house and called it beautiful. Granted, you had a 360 degree view of everything around, which includes the Sierra Nevadas and surrounding mountains, however, you also had a view of your neighbors yard and a view through any window that might face your neighbor. They built houses so close that in some neighborhoods, you each could reach out your window and touch each other. When I start hearing of people talking about skyscrapers and new building, what I see is concrete with a couple of little seedlings put in place of a natural flora that will never regrow through the concrete, and it is not a very pretty vision. Unfortunately, developers can't seem to see that the natural flora creates a gentle feeling in neighborhoods, with 'old growth' you don't seem to lose the feeling of an older established neighborhood and there are a lot of people out there that are looking for that. I digress....thank you again for the clarification and I too, agree that new aged skyscrapers can not, in any way shape or form, replace historical architecture. This is the time that everyone should be attending city council meetings to voice their opinions...then, if you feel you are not heard...replace them.

Have a great Day!!!

ps....can't wait to get to Ft. Worth area at the end of the month.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waqt View Post
ok..point taken on the boxy building..I agree that history shouldn't stop a city from growing...on this and a couple of other threads there is an overwhelming feeling that there are a lot of people that think new skyscrapers will make Fort Worth a 'better' place to live and that a skyline will make it all better...which speaks to my original post. I agree that the architecture that was replaced is a sorry statement on somebodys 'vision' for what is beautiful. It is a shame that gorgeous architecture is gone forever. I love Kansas City MO for its architecture. One thing I did absolutely love about Seattle was their ability to mix the old with the new.
For the last 18 years I lived in a desert, with very few old growth trees and a whole lot of new building, where they planted a seedling per house and called it beautiful. Granted, you had a 360 degree view of everything around, which includes the Sierra Nevadas and surrounding mountains, however, you also had a view of your neighbors yard and a view through any window that might face your neighbor. They built houses so close that in some neighborhoods, you each could reach out your window and touch each other. When I start hearing of people talking about skyscrapers and new building, what I see is concrete with a couple of little seedlings put in place of a natural flora that will never regrow through the concrete, and it is not a very pretty vision. Unfortunately, developers can't seem to see that the natural flora creates a gentle feeling in neighborhoods, with 'old growth' you don't seem to lose the feeling of an older established neighborhood and there are a lot of people out there that are looking for that. I digress....thank you again for the clarification and I too, agree that new aged skyscrapers can not, in any way shape or form, replace historical architecture. This is the time that everyone should be attending city council meetings to voice their opinions...then, if you feel you are not heard...replace them.

Have a great Day!!!

ps....can't wait to get to Ft. Worth area at the end of the month.
Here's a link to the Skyscraper Forum (Fort Worth Page)
There's a forum member that goes by "Atomic Glee". You may agree with him on this statement about skylines:

"The skyline doesn't mean a whole lot in the grand scheme. Our skyline is completely meaningless to me - because our street level is quite good (not perfect, but by far the best in this area and I'd venture in all of Texas). Maybe the skyline matters if you're 30 miles out in some gated subdivision atop a hill - me, I'm *in the city,* and I care about what's really important - what makes the streetscape work, what makes neighborhoods work.

I understand it is "Skyscraperpage," but to me, skyscrapers only make sense if there's context for them. I understand that a lot of people on here are only really interested in height, but to me the urban fabric is far more important than the skyscraper in and of itself. Density and street interaction before height. Always and forever.

I don't hate skyscrapers - I just don't think they are inherently a good thing.

(And I do question the sense in building very many of them from a sustainability standpoint, but that's another topic.)"

I gotta admit, that is more than a good point. But I'm a big fan of skyscrapers and I (and many others on this forum) see much potential for our skyline. There are so many surface lots, especially by the Intermodal Transit Center. When you come off of a long bus trip or train trip from another city, do you want to see parking lots or some place you can visit or chill out for a while?
But anyway, great point by the both of you. Feel free to visit this page more and I hope ya really like Fort Worth.

Old 09-11-2008, 12:06 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,213,177 times
I'm an old dude, but I thought the CNB (Continental National Bank) building was way cool. I can recall being in my back yard as a kid, three miles from dowtown, and being able to read the time on the giant (digital) clock display that rotated on the top. Two sides of the rotating part were the clock, while the other two spelled 'CNB' in huge green letters.

As a rule, I like the 1930s building best (the old post office and the T&P building on Lancaster for eample). They are beautifully adorned outside and soulful inside.

Old 09-11-2008, 12:15 AM

5,412 posts, read 15,935,502 times
A better, taller, and more modern skyline won't necessarily make the city better, but it will be another source of pride for us Fort Worth residents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth