Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2011, 12:58 PM

309 posts, read 811,910 times

Advertisements

I have read a few posts that seem to suggest that in Texas it is quite difficult to pay utilities bills by what we would term direct debit here in the UK. I basically pay a set amount every month on a set date to the utilities companies who, once a year or so, adjust what the monthly payment should be going forward based on usage to date. This allows also for higher heating bills in winter offset by lower in summer etc and makes budgeting easier and also no chance of forgetting to pay the bills on time! Is it really so different there? Do the utilities companies really prefer to send out monthly bills of actual consumption?

Now I fully appreciate that asking this next question is like asking how long is a piece of string but allowing for all the variations and factors can you give me an idea of ball park figures for electric, gas, water etc? Say a single family home of about 2000 sq ft, kept at a reasonably comfortable temp ( either heating or cooling), assume no particular energy efficiencies other than standard for a home of about 5-10 years old. Not watering the yard constantly but enough to keep the lawn in reasonable shape etc? Only two people in residence..... I know, I know too many other factors to consider but I am only looking for a general idea and I promise I won't come back to haunt you if your figures prove way out once I have moved!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 01:39 PM
k_s

405 posts, read 896,461 times
In my experience, all of the utility companies send out bills for monthly consumption. You can usually set up a direct debit through the company or through your bank.

I'm not sure about other companies, but I when I used TXU, they had an "average billing" plan that helped off-set peak prices.

I've only been in apartments, though, so hopefully some homeowners/home renters will chime in.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:54 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,613,969 times
There is no real good number that can be given for an estimate for so many varying reasons. First some homes are all electric and some have gas and electric. Those with gas may or may not have gas heating, they may only have water heaters and/or stoves that work on gas.

Then, you can choose from various electric companies where the rates may differ up to .07 kwh. And yes, some electric companies will do average billing and most will let you set up automatic payments. As long as you have a very large financial cushion to cover the extremes in monthly billing (if you can't get average billing), automatic is easy to deal with.
I've heard of, but not known anyone personally, who has had as low as $100 for a month in the summer for electric and have known people who had well over an $800 bill for one month. Having gas does not balance out equally since gas costs are different than electric.

Regarding water, it will depend on what city you choose. Water rates for the city of Fort Worth tend to be much lower than other cities because many of those cities have to buy their water from Fort Worth or other places, so those rates are higher. Also, water bills include charges for trash pickup, sewer charges and other fees depending on how that particular city handles it.

Of course you have to figure in the extreme weather temps we have in addition to what kind of lawn you have to aid in figuring out water bills. If we have an extremely hot summer and you have St Augustine grass, you bill can be sky high. If we have a nice summer and you have a well done landscaped yard, then your bill will be a good one. I've known people to have a water bill as low as $35 and as high as $400 in the summer. I think, but can't say for certain, that some cities will also do average billing here as well, but it will depend on the city.

Old 01-07-2011, 05:50 PM

1,379 posts, read 6,425,635 times
We have Gexa and have our bills autobilled, but they vary in month to month. I would have the realtor show you the last three months of utility bills. Most don't have a problem, but be aware that you can chose your own electrical company by checking prices at Power to Choose. I shop mine when our contract is up, usually yearly for the best prices.

In our neighborhood, it varies depending on the type of insulation, radiant barrier etc., so where mine might be 300.00 our neighbors was 850.00 one month. (ex. 3000 sq ft).

Old 01-07-2011, 08:42 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
What you are talking about is "Average Billing" and almost all of the utilities do it after you have had service for a year. Unfortunately, I have never had a city water department that would do average billing.

DO NOT have utilities direct debited from your checking account EVER!! If there is a problem with your bill (example: major water leak), you could be stuck with no money left!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth