Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 01:26 PM

13 posts, read 59,880 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of moving here, does anyone have any opinions of this area? My only concern is the train horn. How bad is it? Does the train run all night?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 06:37 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,888,047 times
could you give people a clue about where this subdivision is...

Old 09-01-2008, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
could you give people a clue about where this subdivision is...
It is at 377/Keller-Haslet road.

Old 09-02-2008, 03:22 AM

119 posts, read 514,411 times
not only the horn, but take into consideration the noise the tracks make.

Old 09-02-2008, 05:44 AM

trains don't run 24/7--they aren't the L like in Chicago or NYC
but they do run at times that cause slowdown in crossing from one side to the next
and frankly I think there will be increase in train traffic with the price of gasoline/diesel still expensive enough to cut into company shipping profits...

I used to live fairly close to train track and grew up hearing the whistles--after a while you really don't notice them that much--when I would go back to visit my folks I would have to acclimate to hearing them again...

but it is a noise---there is supposed to be "silent" crossings where the tracks have gates and the train does not need to blow the whistle--because of the complaints from homeowners
don't know status of that...and some people think it is not worth giving up safety for the silence...especially when children get out on the tracks (one boy was killed in Keller last year doing just that)...

Old 09-02-2008, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
trains don't run 24/7--they aren't the L like in Chicago or NYC
but they do run at times that cause slowdown in crossing from one side to the next
and frankly I think there will be increase in train traffic with the price of gasoline/diesel still expensive enough to cut into company shipping profits...

I used to live fairly close to train track and grew up hearing the whistles--after a while you really don't notice them that much--when I would go back to visit my folks I would have to acclimate to hearing them again...

but it is a noise---there is supposed to be "silent" crossings where the tracks have gates and the train does not need to blow the whistle--because of the complaints from homeowners
don't know status of that...and some people think it is not worth giving up safety for the silence...especially when children get out on the tracks (one boy was killed in Keller last year doing just that)...
That is good to know. I figured it was something you could get used to. As far as the quiet zones, I found that Fort Worth got $2.5 million in funding to make 170 - 820 a quiet zone so that is great news.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:51 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,890,390 times
The train that runs along 377 is FRIEGHT trains and they do run all day and all night. (about every 3 hours??) you do get used to them though. They do blow the whistle through Keller at EVERY intersection.

I can hear it from my house and I live off of rufe snow drive. I took awhile at night to get used to...esp the midnight train and the 3 am (aprox times) They also run on the weekends. But we've been here almost a year now and they rarely wake me up...I will still hear them if I am up late reading etc... but they don't wake me up out of a sleep anymore.

I believe that Timberland sits pretty close to the tracks... you will hear it. wheather or not you can get "used" to it...that's up to you... I bet you can asjk the builder if you can spend the night in the model. I heard about this becomming a more frequent trend.

Old 10-10-2008, 08:37 PM

2 posts, read 10,138 times
Default Keller Train Horns are Irritating

I hope it really does become a quiet zone. I live in Keller right off of Wall Price road and it is highly irritating. The trains run 24/7 and it is LOUD. It seems louder at night too. Keller and Ft. Worth have got to do something. There are thousands of people affected by this.

Old 10-10-2008, 09:46 PM

lots of lobbying for quiet zones--but think the RR has to ensure the track is gated...and people are so stupid they will try to swing through if there is no traffic to stop them
also there are kids who get out on the tracks--and don't pay attention when they should...

did not realize the trains ran THAT often--I don't know that I could have gotten used to that amount of rail traffic...our house was probably 4 to 500 yards from the train track...that is pretty good distance
Frankly I would say go there and just park your car, roll down windows, and listen---we did that in neighborhoods when we had noise concerns--went at lunch time and 6 PM on couple of week nights aand Saturday afternoon and Sunday evening...neighborhood was close to one of the most busy intersections in Mid-Cities--both roads were 6 lanes with retail shopping fronting them...

Old 10-10-2008, 10:46 PM

I think if the city of Keller gets enough complaints, they will make them quiet zones, they just have to build up the intersection a bit.

And I hate to be a bit of an A-hole, but if someone is walking on a busy TRAIN track and they get hit, then Darwinism is at play there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth