Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 08:48 AM

10 posts, read 29,876 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

My fiancé and I will be relocating to the Metroplex fairly soon and we are wrestling with finding a good spot to settle in. We are both in our late 20s with no children (yet) and a medium sized dog. My job will be in Irving near 183 and 12. She is in the medical field and will possibly be covering the Fort Worth and Mid Cities for her territory. We will be renting to start and would like a 1-2 bedroom place hopefully under $1000/mo. We enjoy our time at home but we also like to get out to the occasional bar. We like to check out new restaurants, farmers markets and some live music. We try to get out with out dog as much as possible and in San Antonio we take her to the dog park regularly. I like to get out and mountain bike and play all sorts of sports. We are looking at Las Colinas, Irving, and Arlington currently but really do not know too much about the area. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 07:54 PM

345 posts, read 994,291 times
I don't think you can find a nice apt for under $1000/month in DFW. Also, I'd rent/buy in between the two cities since that will leave your options open for work and play. Most jobs, growth, and amenities you're seeking are in the downtowns or north sides of Dallas and Tarrant counties, so that's where I'd go.

From what I hear, I'd avoid south Dallas county due to crime and poor schools. South Dallas has nice pockets, but generally has a poor reputation. As far as south Tarrant, Arlington has nice areas that fit your criteria. Otherwise, south Tarrant won't have the amenities you're seeking.

Old 08-17-2013, 08:43 AM

277 posts, read 696,486 times
Default Fort Woof

Make sure to take your dog to Fort Woof dog park in Fort Worth (of course). It was named best dog park in America a couple years back. Bike on the Trinity Trails along the banks of the Trinity River in FW or River Legacy Park in Arlington. As far as bars and restaurants check out Sundance Square in Downtown Fort Worth... totally safe, walkable, free parking nights and weekends. www.sundancesquare.com

Old 08-17-2013, 11:02 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,684,678 times
Either Irving or Arlington would work for you if you keep yourself in North Arlington. Also Hurst, Euless and Bedford. Arlington has great linear trail parks that link with River Legacy Park. You might also consider North Grand Prairie for your budget match.

There are restaurants everywhere and nightspots are mostly in the urban core of Dallas or FTW. There is also entertainment in Grapevine and Las Colinas. If you look for housing on Craigslist, be cautious. There are several rental scams there with photos of homes posted at low rents; problem is the true owners or management companies are not the ones posting. Always verify you know who the owner is if you rent a house. All counties lists owners' names on their county appraisal district websites. Check places on padmapper.com or zillow for rentals.

Old 08-17-2013, 11:07 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
I'm sure you can find an apartment in Euless for under $1k. Look along Mid-Cities Blvd at 360. There are several nice complexes back there that are reasonably priced, and this would be convenient for both of your commutes.

Whenever you are renting an apartment, ask the complex if they accept "Section 8 vouchers" and if the agent says yes, WALK AWAY. There are several complexes in Bedford and south Euless that do accept them, so be careful.

Old 08-17-2013, 07:13 PM

1,637 posts, read 4,104,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FW transplant View Post
From what I hear, I'd avoid south Dallas county due to crime and poor schools. South Dallas has nice pockets, but generally has a poor reputation. As far as south Tarrant, Arlington has nice areas that fit your criteria. Otherwise, south Tarrant won't have the amenities you're seeking.
Based on the OPs criteria and the areas where they will be employed, the communities of southern Dallas County are too far away to be a viable option. There are other locations that have been suggested like Irving, Arlington , and Euless that better meet their needs.

In order to stay on topic, I will just say this about the blanket generaization made above. The southern Dallas County suburbs are growing and have nice, safe neighborhoods just like other parts of DFW. There is a huge difference between the inner-city South Dallas neighborhood, which has a mostly negative reputation, and the suburbs south of Dallas. Hearsay isn't always true or factual.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:09 AM

Thanks for all the replies. It has been confirmed that my fiance will be working mostly in Fort Worth. Traveling to many hospitals and clinics in the area. I will be working in Irving. We will be visiting in 2 weeks to scout some locations. Of the following, which is the best area as far as green space and restaurants? North Arlington, Bedford, Euless, Hurst, N. Richland Hills, and FW. We are probably narrowing it down to the Fossil Creek area, Bear Creek area, and River Legacy area. I also saw some quaint apartment in Hurst across from the Bell Helicopter factory. Any thoughts on these areas?

Old 08-19-2013, 08:28 AM

277 posts, read 696,486 times
Default Apartments

Trinity Bell Gardens Trinity Bell Gardens - Photo Gallery are brand new and very nice! I have a home in Lakes of River Trails which is next door Dunhill Homes | NEW HOMES | Lakes of River Trails | Fort Worth, Texas | NEW HOMES FOR SALE Great location with easy access to Loop 820 and Airport Freeway. Northeast Mall is about 2 miles to the north North East Mall Mobile Website - Hurst, TX 76053-6205 - Simon Malls Nordstrom, Macy*s, Dillard's etc... Super Target and Walmart are close by as well. Good luck!

Old 08-19-2013, 09:41 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
Fossil Creek or north Fort Worth to Irving will be a hellish commute until the North Tarrant Express construction finishes in 2018. North Tarrant Express Highway Construction Project by NTE Mobility Partners North Tarrant Express (NTE) Construction Project by NTE Mobility Partners

Of those areas, I would look more at Bear Creek and River Legacy. Do keep in mind that the better Arlington ISD schools are in the south part of town, not the north. Hurst south of 183 is not as nice as north of 183, and again, the better schools are in the north part.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:02 PM

Thanks for that info. Fossil Creek sounds like a decent area but that commute sounds rough. Now I do get to go into work at 7 and I am usually off by 4... Would that make any difference? Also, we do not currently have any children and would not have a child in school for sometime obviously, so that would not matter much. With that said, are the northern portions of Arlington ad southern portions of Hurst not as nice as their counterparts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth