Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 11:32 PM

232 posts, read 360,844 times

Advertisements

Call me selfish if you want to, but does Ft Worth really need more exposure than what it currently has? Fort Worth has a calm relaxing vibe that other cities in both Texas and the USA lack, but each time I go to downtown, there are more young hipsters. Don't get me wrong I have nothing against hipsters but these people are usually the ones to blame for making cities overrated, and hipsters prefer the whole metropolitan/ glitzy city feel. Do any of y'all think that Fort Worth will eventually become the opposite of what it is because of the type of people who keep moving here? I don't want Ft. Worth to become a place where everyone is in a rush, and I definitely do not want Fort Worth to be overrun by clubs and bars (just like Dallas), I want our city to be a relaxing city where you can just enjoy life and not be in a rush as if you lived in NYC.

Do any of y'all believe that Fort Worth will eventually lose its unique western style?

Sorry for the horrible transitions between my sentences, I am writing this @12:32 AM, why? I have no idea :P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2014, 12:04 AM

254 posts, read 401,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan1010 View Post
Call me selfish if you want to, but does Ft Worth really need more exposure than what it currently has? Fort Worth has a calm relaxing vibe that other cities in both Texas and the USA lack, but each time I go to downtown, there are more young hipsters. Don't get me wrong I have nothing against hipsters but these people are usually the ones to blame for making cities overrated, and hipsters prefer the whole metropolitan/ glitzy city feel. Do any of y'all think that Fort Worth will eventually become the opposite of what it is because of the type of people who keep moving here? I don't want Ft. Worth to become a place where everyone is in a rush, and I definitely do not want Fort Worth to be overrun by clubs and bars (just like Dallas), I want our city to be a relaxing city where you can just enjoy life and not be in a rush as if you lived in NYC.

Do any of y'all believe that Fort Worth will eventually lose its unique western style?

Sorry for the horrible transitions between my sentences, I am writing this @12:32 AM, why? I have no idea :P
I believe that Fort Worth is and always has been a complicated and multidimensional city that can grow and develop and reveal some of its more diverse sides without sacrificing its heritage, its identity, and its way of life. It's not a zero sum game. Fort Worth is Fort Worth because you can go to a place like Railhead (or, for that matter, Spiral Diner) and see a cowboy, a wealthy businessman, a college student and a hipster all standing in line and none of them seem out of place (or make each other feel so).

...but yes, I do think Fort Worth needs more exposure and no, I don't think that that would transform it into New York, Austin, Houston or (shiver) dallas. It would just put more of a spotlight on what it is about Fort Worth that makes it such a special place.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:00 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,470,546 times
Yes. That doesn't mean FW has to be anything but FW though.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:26 PM

The reason I was asking that is because cities that attract younger crowds tend to become overrated, and these cities get drowned in bars and clubs, I just wanted to see what others think about more young adults moving here.

I do not want this city to become a place where hipsters are all over the place acting as if the city is successful (by that I mean has lots of clubs and bars) because of them, basically I do not want Fort Worth to become the next Austin (well the developments would be appreciated, but it seems as if Austin is being overdeveloped)

Cites that have their own style tend to become popular, and once a city is popular, lots of people move to these cites and convert the whole thing into one huge nightclub (Dallas *cough*)

Old 04-22-2014, 07:51 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,697,893 times
I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

In my five years here I've seen FW "open up" a bit and, in my mind, improve. Not all people between 18 and 32 are so easily dismissed as "hipsters". That's typically the kind of demographic associated with fresh ideas and new energy. There's also nothing wrong with music venues beyond what's already part of the sonic landscape here.

I do hope we figure out ways to improve public transportation, pollution, and other potential problems of major metropolitan areas. We are in for growth whether we want it or not, so it's best we think ahead and grow intelligently, IMHO.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:36 PM

I have plenty of acquaintances that consider themselves hipsters, my friends have also provided me with an abundance information about what hipsters are and I have also done my own research on people who consider themselves hipsters (sorry for being repetitive). That being said, I recognize the difference between hipsters and people who have "fresh ideas" and "new energy".

The only thing that I dislike is whenever any city "opens up a bit" people will gladly go forth and change the culture of the city, in my opinion Fort Worth remains a city that has an abundance of culture because it refuses to become like every other city that tries to out do others, in other words going out of the norm is the new norm. I am in support of Fort Worth growing and having new developments but I oppose the aura of Fort Worth being dissolved by influences that arrive from people who move here.

I just oppose Fort Worth becoming "another city", I acknowledge how absurd it seems for me to be supporting growth but opposing influences from other cities, but if Fort Worth does end up the way I dislike, I guess it is better for the city to "grow intelligently" than compared to sprawling all over the place.

Old 04-23-2014, 02:02 PM

254 posts, read 401,594 times
Quote:
cities that attract younger crowds tend to become overrated, and these cities get drowned in bars and clubs
Cities that fail to attract or retain younger people become cities full of older people who eventually, I've been told, age and then die. That is not exactly a recipe for a thriving city capable of sustaining itself for years to come.

Unless, of course, you mean only to say that it would be optimal for Fort Worth to have its population concentrated among those over the age of 40 and, assuming those people have children, under the age of 18 (who, I'm sure, would be expected to go on off to college and never return until they are through having fun in Austin or Denver or Portland or New York at which point, presumably age 40, they could return to Fort Worth without being a threat). In other words... it seems that you are (intentionally or unintentionally) advocating that Fort Worth have all the characteristics of a suburban bedroom community.

Yes, Fort Worth has hipsters (and has had them for quite some time) and as it grows in popularity (a sign that you are doing things right), more people could be expected to move to Fort Worth (generally a good thing). The threat isn't so much how to keep people out who don't seem like the Fort Worth you know, but how to successfully promote the aspects of Fort Worth that are most essential to be preserved by those who continue to live in Fort Worth and adopted by new residents.

Being popular doesn't mean you're becoming Austin... it just means you're becoming popular. Fort Worth is a diverse modern city that appeals to a broad range of people, young and old, hipster and suburban... gaining more exposure for all the right reasons will only highlight and further promote those things that are at the core of Fort Worth being Fort Worth. There will be some growing pains, as there has been in Austin, but it is better than the alternative.

Old 04-23-2014, 02:11 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,916,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Yes. That doesn't mean FW has to be anything but FW though.
This.

It would be nice to be recognized WITHOUT the mentioning of Dallas first...

Old 04-23-2014, 07:48 PM

143 posts, read 320,043 times
Quote:
I have plenty of acquaintances that consider themselves hipsters, my friends have also provided me with an abundance information about what hipsters are and I have also done my own research on people who consider themselves hipsters (sorry for being repetitive).
Could you provide the information about what hipster are?

I don't think Fort Worth will lose it's unique western style. I think the young crowd will tend to stay in Dallas. We do have a lot of people moving in but most of the time their attitude tends to be in line with ours.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:52 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,916,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenvbtx View Post
Could you provide the information about what hipster are?

I don't think Fort Worth will lose it's unique western style. I think the young crowd will tend to stay in Dallas. We do have a lot of people moving in but most of the time their attitude tends to be in line with ours.
Not entirely true...

P.S., not all Fort Worthians are the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth