Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 01:11 PM

24,579 posts, read 10,884,023 times

Advertisements

Get here, check into an extended stay and get a job. Then use your commute to locate a rental.
Pull up a good street map of DFW, compare distances to NY then pull up the traffic report on local TVs channels and Ft. Worth Telegram. Texans have a lot in common with Praerie dogs - they are building everywhere and traffic can be a major issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 01:17 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
I would not advise anyone to buy a home in Richland Hills. The city has many problems, and petty crime is one of them. The town is aging, and not doing it gracefully. As the elderly residents die or move away, their small homes are being bought by lower income people who often bring large families. The schools are also not good, which is a turn-off for potential new residents who care about their kids' education. Also, the city is (again) preparing to vote on getting out of the public transit system, since they seem to think that it is a waste of their residents' money.

If public transportation is a must, then you really need to look in Dallas County, which has the best public transit system in the state. Even then, you will be limited to certain parts of the area, and only a few of the major hospitals. Texas just doesn't have good public transportation like cities on the East Coast. We are a car-oriented culture here.
I'm not sure what RH did to you to deserve this opinion, but you are wrong. As someone who bought a home just a few years ago from an elderly resident, we are far from lower income with a large family. And the home just purchased directly behind me? Young couple that are not low income. Same the house bought 2 years ago a few doors down - young kids, good income. And Birdville ISD is considered a good district. Yes, there are some not-so-great areas of RH, but for the most part the city is safe.

As for the public transit system, we do not think it's a waste of taxpayer's money. We do have a problem paying for something out of our tax dollars with no say in the matter.

I also believe that the OP expressed and interest in FW. You may think Dallas is great, but many of us like the slower pace and small town feel of FW. I drive past horse property every day, and know all my neighbors.

Please stop bashing an area you obviously know nothing about.

Old 04-08-2015, 05:21 PM

11,857 posts, read 26,881,949 times
Actually, I have two good friends who live in Richland Hills, and I worked in Richland Hills from 2007-2010. My friends live on Dover and Ruth streets, and I worked for a business on Glenview.

One of the friends is an older resident who will be looking to sell her home soon. She has a large immigrant family that moved in next door. They have 5 cars, so they end up parked on the street in front of her house all the time, which annoys her. She says there are at least 9 people living there, including the children. She's called the city, since 9 people shouldn't be living in a 3/2 house.

The other friends are a couple who bought a "fixer upper" and are almost ready to sell it. Sadly, the hassles they have had with the City of Richland Hills permit office have made their renovation very difficult. Many contractors refuse to work in RH due to having to deal with the City, and others will charge extra for any work that requires a permit. My friends are honestly going to barely break even or possibly lose money on the house. They are just ready to get out of RH!

While I worked there, we had a lot of problems with employees' cars getting broken into in the parking lot, especially after dark. Sure, the thieves just took purses, iPods, cell phones, etc. But it was still inconvenient for the employees, and it got glass all over our parking lot. The PD was uninterested in watching the lot to help us catch the thieves.

Birdville ISD is very varied. Some schools are good, and others are marginal. The two elementary schools in Richland Hills are not rated very highly: Elementary Schools in Birdville Independent School District - Haltom City, TX | GreatSchools Birdville HS is also not well rated.

Sure, I will happily go have a delicious meal at Jerry's Italian, but i honestly cannot recommend that someone buy a house in Richland Hills.

Old 04-08-2015, 08:33 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
Very specific Christie

Old 04-08-2015, 09:19 PM

8,151 posts, read 8,354,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomersNY View Post
Ok, I've decided on Fort Worth but I know it's a big place. I'm moving from a NY suburb and would be open to something different, such as a city. I'm planning on renting first, a 3 bedroom. My kids are older 20 and 19 and will transferring to a collegeor university of their choosing.
So here are my demographics:
I'm in the medical field so finding a jobs isn't a problem and I can tolerate a 45 min drive, I did it for 10 yrs
Need a 3 bedroom, can go as high as $1800,
Need to have public transportation nearby, and needs to be a safe neighborhood: these 2 are very important to me

Any thoughts? I'm going to be traveling there in 3 months and would like to focus on a particular town so I can get started on moving

Why Fort Worth? I really do like FTW, especially the Arlington Heights area, but the public transportation is not good.

However, here's other suggestions. I'm sure there are many others, but these are safe areas near public transportation that should have things in your budget

Look in Dallas. Zip code 75206 near the Mockingbird DART Station
Look in Hurst, near the TRE
Look in Irving, Las Colinas near the DART station at Lake Carolyn or near North Lake

Old 04-09-2015, 09:18 AM

286 posts, read 383,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
I'm not sure what RH did to you to deserve this opinion, but you are wrong. As someone who bought a home just a few years ago from an elderly resident, we are far from lower income with a large family. And the home just purchased directly behind me? Young couple that are not low income. Same the house bought 2 years ago a few doors down - young kids, good income. And Birdville ISD is considered a good district. Yes, there are some not-so-great areas of RH, but for the most part the city is safe.

As for the public transit system, we do not think it's a waste of taxpayer's money. We do have a problem paying for something out of our tax dollars with no say in the matter.

I also believe that the OP expressed and interest in FW. You may think Dallas is great, but many of us like the slower pace and small town feel of FW. I drive past horse property every day, and know all my neighbors.

Please stop bashing an area you obviously know nothing about.

I am opening a rotten can of beans with this statement. I wouldn't take offense to a specific posters comments, I've noticed...how can I say this "Favoritism" in people's comments on these message boards. Some people love the city (like myself) some people who live in Mid-Cities act as if it the gateway to heaven (personally I dislike the vast majority of the mid cities, I find it to be a very boring part of town. Hope the city of Fort Worth Annexes it all one day) And those same people will bash, and utilize statistics to "back" their statements. But ultimately it is their opinion, whats beautiful to me isn't beautiful to the person next to me. Plus...would you want to have a bitter neighbor living next to you? lol. I let people be and reply to the original poster always.

Cheers!

P.s. I do agree with your statement though.

Old 04-09-2015, 08:35 PM

43 posts, read 39,447 times
Thanks sooo muck folks, you've helped a lot.

Old 04-29-2015, 08:39 PM

10 posts, read 10,833 times
I might suggest you look in White Settlement, Aledo, or Weatherford (all west of FW)--- but there's no public transportation for any of those places- a car is a must in Texas. Oh... And traffic sucks.
Best city for public transport is undoubtedly Dallas, but those of us in FW say 'life's too short to go to Dallas''... So there you have it. DFW is a good market for healthcare, but there are multiple nursing & radiography schools here so be aware - there's competition.
Best of luck!

Old 04-29-2015, 09:18 PM

1,158 posts, read 961,459 times
North Fort Worth (North of 820) is new, safe, suburbia. Lot of restaurants, shopping, new construction. Aside from traffic with the freeway under construction, it is a nice place to live. Public transportation is not big in Fort Worth. You really do NEED a car here to get around, grocery shop, go places, etc. You really limit yourself tremendously with that as a requirement.

DFW was rated the second worst metro area for public transit for no car households behind Atlanta in 2011 and nothing has changed.

Last edited by Angie682; 04-29-2015 at 10:27 PM..

Old 05-04-2015, 12:33 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,271,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomersNY View Post
Ok, I've decided on Fort Worth but I know it's a big place. I'm moving from a NY suburb and would be open to something different, such as a city. I'm planning on renting first, a 3 bedroom. My kids are older 20 and 19 and will transferring to a collegeor university of their choosing.
So here are my demographics:
I'm in the medical field so finding a jobs isn't a problem and I can tolerate a 45 min drive, I did it for 10 yrs
Need a 3 bedroom, can go as high as $1800,
Need to have public transportation nearby, and needs to be a safe neighborhood: these 2 are very important to me

Any thoughts? I'm going to be traveling there in 3 months and would like to focus on a particular town so I can get started on moving
Fort Worth is a great little City - there is a large area known as the "Hospital District" and quite a few other Hospitals around the area. Is sounds like you don't intend to have or drive a car - I know this is pretty standard in New York City, but it's just not a reality in most of Texas. It's possible I guess, but not easy and you are very limited in where you live or work. As to "safe areas" - there are plenty of those in Fort Worth and all Texas Cities. New York State to Texas is quite a culture shock, but most transplants end up loving it.

Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth