Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2015, 01:13 AM

232 posts, read 360,809 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any predictions on what the city will look like in approximately 10 years time.

TEX-Rail should be implemented and available to a bigger amount of people. 10k people are expected to commute daily via TEX-Rail in the FW Metro.

Fort Worth skyline? Should have a few more high rises, I want to say by then Fort Worth should get a super tall, but that's what I want to occur, although I doubt that will happen.

Panther Island (if it actually gets through every barrier) should be complete (mostly complete?) River walk anyone? The areas surrounding downtown should be more dense and more pedestrian friendly.

Fort Worth's population should be at around 820-850k(right?), by 2050 we are supposed to surpass 1 million.

North Fort Worth, should be getting more dense with poorly placed scattered apartments, traffic should increase, also more house colonies! (yay, more traffic).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 08:59 AM

295 posts, read 949,648 times
Probably more toll roads all the way up to Denton on 35W. Lots of charging stations for EVs and flying cars (lol). I'm hopeful we'll have hover boards then since 2015 didn't quite get there.

Old 06-24-2015, 09:03 AM

286 posts, read 383,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan1010 View Post
Anyone have any predictions on what the city will look like in approximately 10 years time.

TEX-Rail should be implemented and available to a bigger amount of people. 10k people are expected to commute daily via TEX-Rail in the FW Metro.

Fort Worth skyline? Should have a few more high rises, I want to say by then Fort Worth should get a super tall, but that's what I want to occur, although I doubt that will happen.

Panther Island (if it actually gets through every barrier) should be complete (mostly complete?) River walk anyone? The areas surrounding downtown should be more dense and more pedestrian friendly.

Fort Worth's population should be at around 820-850k(right?), by 2050 we are supposed to surpass 1 million.

North Fort Worth, should be getting more dense with poorly placed scattered apartments, traffic should increase, also more house colonies! (yay, more traffic).

I agree with everything you said, can't wait to see the new River Tower at Trinity Terrace completed, as well as the new Jetta Skyscraper. Hoping for something taller. Maybe in the 60+story range. But Downtown has loads of other problems (unoccupied/unutilized land, too many parking garages, needs more residential such as townhomes, condos, lofts. etc..) before we can address another skyscraper. The good thing is that the revitalization efforts have began and I think it 10 years it will be very beautiful to see what will become of our beloved city. Panther Island will be completed but I honestly don't see it in full good use (where we will actually see a return on our investment) for atleast 15-20 years, maybe in 2035 it will be what it was designed for but right off that bat its going to be a tough one to sell. Public transportation is going to have to be addressed. As much as Texan's love to drive the inner city will see way too much growth for it to not have street cars, (I know JJG addressed this last time but still one can dream!) Maybe some billionaire will privatize the Tandy subway and build it all around downtown. We have to continue to support bike friendly, and most importantly pedestrian friendly builds. Also I don't think Fort Worth is given credit where it is due, not that being populated over 1 million is a good thing but as a county (Tarrant) sits at just shy of 2 million people (specifically 1.92 Million people as of 2015). I think on any week day our city is easily populated at more than a million, those living here may not add up to 1 million but those who occupy the city on a daily basis and drive from the Suburbs definitely double our population. As for Alliance, man godspeed for that area, horribly designed, over populated and traffic.

Old 06-28-2015, 04:34 PM

I do wish the city would pay more attention to the area a bit further from the inner core of the city but not too far. Such as Southside (Not the "Near Southside") and parts of East Fort Worth along with Diamond Hill and Riverside.

I live in the Diamond Hill area and the businesses here are scarce (unless you count having 4 gasoline stations across from each other as being legit businesses).

My mentality is if the city develops areas where there are people of lower income, and they connect them to more wealthy areas via public transportation, this can cause both areas to benefit, the more wealthy areas will have more customers (lots of "poor" people shop at expensive places on a daily basis, trust me...), while any area within access to public transportation can get developments oriented around that. I think once the city starts encouraging growth outside the area around the inner city where the majority of Fort Worthians live, then the city will have reduced traffic, more public oriented developments, increased wakabiltiy, increased pedestrian friendliness of an area, etc.

I hope the TEX Rail service sees an influx of people to encourage more transportation to extend to isolated areas that are dependent on cars (this is where I live).

Old 06-29-2015, 03:37 PM

286 posts, read 383,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan1010 View Post
I do wish the city would pay more attention to the area a bit further from the inner core of the city but not too far. Such as Southside (Not the "Near Southside") and parts of East Fort Worth along with Diamond Hill and Riverside.

I live in the Diamond Hill area and the businesses here are scarce (unless you count having 4 gasoline stations across from each other as being legit businesses).

My mentality is if the city develops areas where there are people of lower income, and they connect them to more wealthy areas via public transportation, this can cause both areas to benefit, the more wealthy areas will have more customers (lots of "poor" people shop at expensive places on a daily basis, trust me...), while any area within access to public transportation can get developments oriented around that. I think once the city starts encouraging growth outside the area around the inner city where the majority of Fort Worthians live, then the city will have reduced traffic, more public oriented developments, increased wakabiltiy, increased pedestrian friendliness of an area, etc.

I hope the TEX Rail service sees an influx of people to encourage more transportation to extend to isolated areas that are dependent on cars (this is where I live).
Wow. Somebody I agree with! I love Diamond Hill, Even lived off of 28th st for a while. Unfortunately I do not see Diamond Hill being attended too (focused on) for decades.

Fort Worth has already tried to revitalize the Northside, it doesn't work. Urbanizing is an extremely complex task. Just ask any of the board members of the Fairmount District or the "Near Southside" The problem in Northside/Diamond Hill is that everyone, I MEAN EVERYONE is so reliant on their cars. There is literally no storefront, pedestrian friendly, type building or business that I can think of. Even though Diamond Hill is in the inner city, it may as well be a part of Saginaw or North Richland Hills. Its almost cultural for a Texan to have to have too drive for anything lol. I always said to my colleagues, "Fort Worth will grow to be like a Los Angeles type populated (heavy traffic, lots of driving), never to be like a New York or Chicago(Pedestrian Friendly)" This isn't the city's fault. But the fact that for too long we as Texan's have been building outwards (sprawl) instead of upwards (see Dallas Uptown for a good example of what Fort Worth's inner city should look like). Fort Worth has loads of Urban Villages planned and lined up for the TCU area, southside area (by berry and Hemphill st 76110, 76115) and many other parts. But unfortunately not Diamond Hill they even have Riverside before Diamond Hill. A Look at the "Fort Worth Mercado" ;the building farther south of Joe T. Garcia's on Main (By la Playa Maya). Is a prime example of a bad attempt at revitalizing that area, sadly the majority of residents in that part of town won't stop because guess what...their first thought is where is the parking? Even though we know it is in the back the building does itself no favors in not advertising "Parking in Rear" but sadly, I can almost guarantee you that if that building was designed as a shopping centre (strip mall, however you wish to call it) it would be leased at full capacity. But who knows maybe 15 years from now it will be a whole different mindset of people...hopefully.

Old 06-29-2015, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bringamac92 View Post
Wow. Somebody I agree with! I love Diamond Hill, Even lived off of 28th st for a while. Unfortunately I do not see Diamond Hill being attended too (focused on) for decades.

Fort Worth has already tried to revitalize the Northside, it doesn't work. Urbanizing is an extremely complex task. Just ask any of the board members of the Fairmount District or the "Near Southside" The problem in Northside/Diamond Hill is that everyone, I MEAN EVERYONE is so reliant on their cars. There is literally no storefront, pedestrian friendly, type building or business that I can think of. Even though Diamond Hill is in the inner city, it may as well be a part of Saginaw or North Richland Hills. Its almost cultural for a Texan to have to have too drive for anything lol. I always said to my colleagues, "Fort Worth will grow to be like a Los Angeles type populated (heavy traffic, lots of driving), never to be like a New York or Chicago(Pedestrian Friendly)" This isn't the city's fault. But the fact that for too long we as Texan's have been building outwards (sprawl) instead of upwards (see Dallas Uptown for a good example of what Fort Worth's inner city should look like). Fort Worth has loads of Urban Villages planned and lined up for the TCU area, southside area (by berry and Hemphill st 76110, 76115) and many other parts. But unfortunately not Diamond Hill they even have Riverside before Diamond Hill. A Look at the "Fort Worth Mercado" ;the building farther south of Joe T. Garcia's on Main (By la Playa Maya). Is a prime example of a bad attempt at revitalizing that area, sadly the majority of residents in that part of town won't stop because guess what...their first thought is where is the parking? Even though we know it is in the back the building does itself no favors in not advertising "Parking in Rear" but sadly, I can almost guarantee you that if that building was designed as a shopping centre (strip mall, however you wish to call it) it would be leased at full capacity. But who knows maybe 15 years from now it will be a whole different mindset of people...hopefully.
Agreed about everyone asking where the parking is, haha I'm a bit guilty of that too, but to a person who lives in a car dependent area you're used to having parking everywhere.

It's annoying because we also have a park called "Trailers Park" that is located across 28th street, but to the residents who live on the other side (such as I) it's really discouraging to even cross a street when cars are going extremely fast and there isn't any walking areas that lead up to the park. I honestly believe that this area has potential, there is a lot of empty land here that can be used for mixed use developments but no one really pays attention to us.

On 28th street there is abandoned land behind the "new" Quiktrip,and right beside the Diamond Hill Clinic there is a lot of land for sale and I am positive that constructing a mixed used area with affordable apartments and a grocery store along with businesses would benefit from the area. (There are apartments right beside Cesar Chavez Elem. School which are overpriced for this area, some people get ripped off in my neighborhood and pay $1,100+ to rent apartments, the "Diamond Hill Apartments" can cost up to $1,000+ to rent per month)

I've also seen more houses pop up lately; right beside the Diamond Hill Jarvis H.S. there are I believe 10+ houses being built, my street has a 2 story house being constructed, while around my area more brick houses (I call them middle class houses) are being built.

In my opinion the city is missing out on profiting off of this area, many of the residents here (including I) go to downtown, 7th street, the malls, etc. frequently because everything in our area is either a gas station, liquor store, taco/ donut shop and that's it... Most businesses are run down and don't cater to residents here (because our price ranges fit more of a middle class area)

Maybe in 100 years (when I am dead) things will change.... You can only hope :P

Oh and btw, many people clump Diamond Hill into Northside, Fiesta is in Northside the only grocery stores that we have which require you to drive are Food City (extremely small variety of food) and Elrods.... (same as Food City), then you have your typical stores scattered around (which require driving, oh and sidewalks! we need those too! it's annoying having to walk on the street because some areas don't have sidewalks)

Rant over ^_^

Old 07-02-2015, 07:18 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,697,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bringamac92 View Post

I agree with a fair amount of your post, but to say it's "not our fault" is problematic. Each individual can CHOOSE to reject his/her culture (in this case, TX car culture). That freedom is something Texans of all political stripes seem to appreciate deeply. We can choose to use alternative modes of transportation. We can choose to set up our lives such that we don't live so far from our places of employment. We can choose to use our voices at city hall/ neighborhood meetings to stress to our leaders how important it is to us to cultivate other urban planning strategies other than more of the same sprawl. We can vote or even run for office and make a healthier urban vision a centerpiece of how we act politically. Each individual is a free agent and is able to affect a change, no matter how small that might be.

Old 07-02-2015, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campeador View Post
I agree with a fair amount of your post, but to say it's "not our fault" is problematic. Each individual can CHOOSE to reject his/her culture (in this case, TX car culture). That freedom is something Texans of all political stripes seem to appreciate deeply. We can choose to use alternative modes of transportation. We can choose to set up our lives such that we don't live so far from our places of employment. We can choose to use our voices at city hall/ neighborhood meetings to stress to our leaders how important it is to us to cultivate other urban planning strategies other than more of the same sprawl. We can vote or even run for office and make a healthier urban vision a centerpiece of how we act politically. Each individual is a free agent and is able to affect a change, no matter how small that might be.
Haha, my area does need more community involvement, there isn't any sort of bond between the area.

Most people in my area don't really care about this place since their mentality is "The city doesn't care about us, so why should we care", typically everyone who becomes wealthy moves out into the suburbs and abandons this place, so it's common to see neighbors leave once they've saved enough money.

My area is predominately Hispanic and the majority seems to vote for democratic candidates but honestly I have no idea who is in charge of area, I've never seen him/ her appear anywhere, that has to tell you something if you don't even know who's representing your area.

In addition about your political statement, that is true to some degree but one thing I've noticed is that individuals of both political parties will interchange their ideals when it comes to issues about being more healthy, urbanized, etc. For instance Mayor Betsy Price supports expanding our bike infrastructure, supports the expansion of a public transportation system, and encourages people to be more healthy, whIle the representitves in our area which again I do not know, nor does anyone in my area know who I believe is a Democrat hasn't really made any appearances into the public here, nor have any developments worth noting have had statements made by him/her.

Edit: Found the representative of my district Sal Espino? Heard about him, I believe he was endorsed by Price. I guess he is more occupied with Northside than the Diamond Hill area

Old 07-03-2015, 09:47 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,914,174 times
Something new in the Development thread.

Check out the latest post to get an idea of what a certain section of downtown is going to look like in the near future...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth