Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2017, 02:38 PM

1 posts, read 1,288 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving to Saginaw, but because of current health issues, I don't drive, and there's a new development that will have cottages (active seniors) place. I will be transferring to this property IF I go to Saginaw. It looks like it's right next to that grain silo, and train tracks, but that is not my biggest concern. Because I don't know if I will be driving again (if ever), and while I will be conducting business from home on the Web, I don't see an opportunity for stores nearby and socially( bookstores, eateries, it looks downhill. What's a single person to do in Saginaw except head to FW and DFW area.(Have lived there before). My next move, well, to be frank, will be important for its the last place I will move to in life hopefully. (From home to apartment for lifespan).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2017, 07:43 AM

1,448 posts, read 1,488,021 times
There's social activities everywhere, you may have to look though.
Checkout Meetup website.
Checkout Events website.
Check with Parks and Recreation in Saginaw.
Join a service club...Rotary, Kiwanis, Optimist, Lions, Toastmasters, if there's not one, start one.
Volunteer at a school.
Volunteer at the city.
Attend Citizen's academies for Police, Fire, City Leadership.
Check out religious organizations.
Plenty to do and see in Saginaw and most cities if you look for it.

Old 08-21-2017, 11:07 AM

8,147 posts, read 8,348,424 times
I'd seek out a 55+ community with a well noted social/community presence. What's your budget and are you specifically looking at Texas/DFW area?

Old 08-22-2017, 04:04 AM

1,158 posts, read 960,857 times
I lived in that area for 13 years and moved.

The cottages you are referring to are very near the train tracks. The trains run night and day and are quite loud and they do use their horns during the day and night. It is in more of an industrial area. The silos are ugly and there is a factory right across the street and some kind of abandoned military installation at the end of the street. I thought what an odd place to put apartments when they began building them.

There is a new Kroger a mile or 2 north on Blue Mound road but there are no sidewalks if you are planning on walking to the store.. That road is really busy. Accidents all the time and I can't count the number of times that people swerved off the road to avoid rear ending another driver. Not the safest area to walk in.

In general, I would say the area has gone downhill. It has really changed. I think in 10 years that immediate area will end up like the Summerfields neighborhood on Western. Lots of property crime due to low income apartments on Western.

We moved after witnessing the police bust a drug deal in the Saginaw High School parking lot on a Sunday.

If you have other options you really might want to check those out.

There are no parks, bookstores, etc. Within walking distance from those apartments.

There is fast food on the corner of Western and 35 which is about a mile or two away.

Last edited by Angie682; 08-22-2017 at 04:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
View detailed profiles of: