Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 02:34 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,850,891 times

Advertisements

I am retired woman and thinking of relocating to Ft. Worth area. I’m looking for quiet, safe areas to rent (up to $1500, suburban or semi-urban, with stores/shopping close and healthcare facilities fairly close by. I’ve researched many cities in the US but my heart keeps coming back to Texas. At my age, would I be able to handle the traffic, although I’m past the need to commute. If you could suggest some areas for me, that would be helpful. I’ve googled best suburbs and best luxury apartments but I need to get more of a feel about areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2018, 10:39 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,850,891 times
How very disappointing to get no responses...

Old 06-10-2018, 02:15 PM

11 posts, read 15,770 times
You may want to move this to the Dallas forum. You will probably get more responses there. There are senior apartments complex’s throughout the metroplex. If you can narrow down what part of the metroplex you’re interested in that would be helpful. It’s a huge area. Traffic is bad here and continues to get more congested.

Old 06-10-2018, 02:29 PM

1,158 posts, read 961,459 times
DFW is one of the fastest growing areas in the country. Rents and property taxes (if you buy a home) will most likely continue to increase. Rents and home prices have increased substantially in the last 10 years and will likely continue to do so. Not really the best place to retire to if you are on a fixed income, unless you are coming from a higher priced metro area.

I would recommend looking at a more rural area. Smaller towns in Texas are great with really friendly people and less traffic.

I hate the traffic here and the drivers are terrible. For two years I drove daily from Fort Worth to Dallas for work. That commute took an hour each way and up to 2 hours if it rained. That was 11 years ago can't imagine how much time it would take now...I've lived all over the country and the drivers here are by far the worst.

Last edited by Angie682; 06-10-2018 at 03:11 PM..

Old 06-10-2018, 04:05 PM

1,847 posts, read 833,583 times
It's hard to recommend an area when just about any suburb would have an area that fits what your looking for.
Best bet for less traffic would be a suburb on the outskirts of the metro area ( Midlothian, Benbrook, Lake worth, Roanoke).
I guess areas on the West side of Fort Worth (Ridglea Hills, White Settlement, Monticello) would be good bets along with the newer areas near Haslet / Eagle Mountain and Mansfield / Midlothian.

Old 06-10-2018, 05:57 PM

8,153 posts, read 8,354,049 times
Hurst or Bedford

Old 06-11-2018, 05:50 AM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
How very disappointing to get no responses...
You are all over the board with "relocating".

Visit for a week and take a look at DFW. It is a sprawling metroplex, aside from small pockets it is neither walkable which in summer seems to be an issue for some as well as in winter for others with marginal public transportation besides the rail. There is a lot going on as long as you can drive and traffic beats most other metros we lived in.
1500/month will not get you anything close to a luxury apartment. You are competing with students and young professionals and those exploring the market prior to buying. A lot of smaller town are being eaten by DFW but that means living in the suburbs. Denton?
Quiet/safe with shopping/healthcare - pick two.

Old 06-11-2018, 07:48 AM

160 posts, read 196,531 times
DFW is the 17th largest metro area in the world. Traffic congestion and housing/rent costs are going up every year. Very limited public transportation. High summer temperatures. Not exactly a place I would seek out in retirement.

Old 06-11-2018, 08:03 AM

8,153 posts, read 8,354,049 times
I’ve been a DFW resident for 40 years and am now retired. I have owned and lived all over the metro. As a retiree, especially new to the area, I recommend you seek out places where you will have access to other retirees. This for social and practical purposes! As we become older and need help getting to medical appointments or other places, people in retirement communities help eachother out. They also plan social activities and “field trips” together.

This community in Southlake (link below) , accesible to shopping, is a great choice for buying a place ad its a remarkable buy in this low interest rate time. Near shopping and airport!

But also do a search for 55+ rental communities, so you have an easy intro to other retireee. In addition, look at community senior recreation centers. I know Coppell has a nice one! The Emeritius program at Richland College in Dallas is good for Dallas residents; I am unsure what is comparable in FTW (if at all).

http://properties.dawncarruthers55pl...hlake-TX-76092

Old 06-11-2018, 08:17 AM

1,448 posts, read 1,489,659 times
Without knowing you or talking to you my first thought is downtown.
Rent a condo not an apartment.
There will likely be more owner occupants and likely more stable community.
Someplace like T&P might be a good fit.
Then you have access to the whole city....arts, medical, restaurants, shopping.

If you don't like a downtown environment....Hurst or Bedford might be nice options for you. My mom is 85 and loves that area. Good senior activities, nice city senior fitness facility, plenty of parks, not crazy expensive yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth