Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2021, 08:20 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,851,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Lived in HEB since early 80s
Amenities are not upscale bcuz the area is older
Colleyville is close
Southlake is close
FTW is close
Dallas a little longer drive but plenty of people go there on weekends to eat/have fun and many work there and commute

HEB schools are good but I admit the IB programs are not as popular or demanding as in prior years
You can get a good education in HEB or Birdville if you put in the work
Grapevine-Colleyville and Southlake Carroll get the benefit of demographics w/money and education and few apartment kids (none in Carroll)

The fact is there are not that many Black middle class families in either area from my experience
Lived in neighborhood in north Hurst for past 12 yrs
One of the newest, more $$
Far as I know there was 1 Black family, several SE Asians and Hispanics but mostly White
When our kids were growing up we lived in similar neighborhood for the times in Bedford
Same deal—1 Black middle class family...one of their sons was in my daughter’s class at school
Now their kids are grown but parents still live there
Neighborhood has held up very well over decades

So diversity yes in HEB ISD and mostly strong teaching
But many apartments which skew demographics
There are many non white families that occupy the areas south of 183 including black families. Who do you think are buying those homes as the baby boomers die off? H-E-B doesn’t feel overwhelmingly white at all. The areas to the north of H-E-B like Colleyville, Southlake, Grapevine etc feel very white but H-E-B not so much. It’s a community defintely in transition. The school district is still top notch despite the demographic shift that has occurred over the last couple of decades. Let’s be real the skew in the numbers is mainly due to the aging baby boomers occupying many of these homes. I predict H-E-B will likely be minority majority within the next 10 to 15 years. Present day Keller & far north Fort Worth is what H-E-B was for the white working middle class back in the day.

Last edited by Exult.Q36; 06-04-2021 at 09:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2021, 09:26 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,949,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exult.Q36 View Post
There are many non white families that occupy the areas south of 183 including black families. Who do you think are buying those homes as the baby boomers die off? H-E-B doesn’t feel overwhelmingly white at all. The areas to the north of H-E-B like Colleyville, Southlake, Grapevine etc feel very white but H-E-B not so much. It’s a community defintely in transition. The school district is still top notch despite the demographic shift that has occurred over the last couple of decades. Let’s be real the skew in the numbers is mainly due to the aging baby boomers occupying many of these homes. I predict H-E-B will likely be minority majority within the next 10 to 15 years.
I think you are missing the point...
I am not saying HEB doesn’t offer diversity
I said there are fewer Black families that make middle class income
That is a fact in almost any state
One reason being that Blacks are a minority percentage of US population compared to Caucasians

https://www.investopedia.com/financi...s-are-you.aspx

Pew lists lower middle class income as 78k in 2016

You can check the city data side and get more specific info regarding income/education/age/race/etc
That says Bedford has HOUSEHOLD income average of 76k
Which includes all working in the home

And the area south of 183 has older, smaller homes and frankly more crime (at least in the past) and was considered less desirable
Homes were priced less because of those factors
The housing crunch in past couple of years has done a lot to raise home prices south of 183 because there are few areas for new construction

Old 06-14-2021, 01:56 PM

294 posts, read 294,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Sounds like you lived close if not in Pecan Grove? I'm talking more so the area east of 99 right off the Westpark tollway. Grand Mission/Lakemont neighborhoods. I'm not much of a fan of the suburb/rural vibe myself. The unincorporated areas of Houston metro is one thing I really don't care for honestly. That's something I can value from DFW burbs. They're real cities and operate as such. So would you say the HEB area has more amenities than what you get in the areas closer to the unincorporated Richmond area east of 99?
Yes, I lived near Pecan Grove. I actually lived in Woods Edge which is an acreage community. Yes, I know the area you are talking back. And, yes, the HEB area will have more amenities for sure. I would recommend driving up here one weekend and just driving around and looking at the area. That is what we did before we started seriously looking and it was a big help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth