Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2022, 08:14 AM

1 posts, read 1,944 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am going to be over working in Fidelity Westlake over the summer 2022. It seems like Dallas and FortWorth are 20 miles away from Westlake, but there doesn't seem to be any sort of public transport over to Westlake.

Can anyone tell where is the best place to live if :

1. You are a student intern with not a lot of money to spare,
2. You don't have a car/bike,
3. You rely on public transport to take you to Westlake,

I am trying to some research, but all universities also seem far away. Renting a room with students would be ideal. Thanks for any help in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2022, 09:57 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
Find a different internship, or buy a car. There is NO public transit anywhere close to Westlake, and the roads there are big highways that are not bike-friendly at all. Ubers from even the nearest apartment complexes would cost you a fortune if you used them all summer long. It is also extremely hot here (over 100 degrees) in the summer.

Old 02-17-2022, 12:44 PM

625 posts, read 666,066 times
Yikes - that is a very suburban area for an internship and definitely doesn't have public transportation. It sounds impossible without a car. Perhaps, ask Fidelity Westlake if there are other interns that you may contact to see what their plans are. But realistically, most students that are taking such an internship have family in the area that they will be living with over the summer.

Old 02-17-2022, 09:27 PM

317 posts, read 227,633 times
You have to already be rich to get into Finance...... (half jokingly)

Old 02-18-2022, 12:54 PM

382 posts, read 420,063 times
What ChristieP said. One of my clients is Sabre (right next door), and there's no public transport of any kind. One suggestion - maybe Fidelity can help you out with a 3-month auto rental. I'm willing to bet their corporate rate is pretty low.

Old 02-18-2022, 12:56 PM

382 posts, read 420,063 times
Regarding housing - call the local universities and see if they can point you in the right direction on this. I don't know if it's still the case, but they used to maintain listings of people needing roommates. I'd imagine you'd be able to find a really good rate for the summer, given that so many people go home then.

Old 02-18-2022, 10:33 PM

1,447 posts, read 1,484,640 times
AirBnB and uber are about the only options...if you can find that, might cost you all the money you make.
I do NOT recommend biking or walking in that area...lots of traffic, no space for bikes, I would consider it very very dangerous for biking.
No public transportation anywhere even remotely close that I know of.
Unfortunately the location is not great for interns in my opinion....you might ask the coordinator for recommendations.
Apartments will likely be unfurnished and fairly expensive, and potentially at least a mile away and probably more like 2-3 miles.

Congrats on the internship, but might be better if you could intern in San Francisco area if they still have offices there...or some other city.

I doubt they are set up for guests or overnight guests, but as a very wild shot....you might check with Wat Keller Buddhist temple in Keller. Not that far away...probably some uber drivers associated with the temple. Probably would need to do some volunteer work on Sat/Sun around the temple. Might help if you can speak Thai or Cambodian.

Old 04-13-2022, 07:54 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texstout View Post
Yikes - that is a very suburban area for an internship and definitely doesn't have public transportation. It sounds impossible without a car. Perhaps, ask Fidelity Westlake if there are other interns that you may contact to see what their plans are. But realistically, most students that are taking such an internship have family in the area that they will be living with over the summer.
Yes
Not a great internship IMO

Old 05-16-2022, 12:20 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
To the OP
What did you decide?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth