Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 03:31 PM

16 posts, read 28,528 times

Advertisements

This is such a great forum, I've learned so much! For years, my husband and I have been trying to arrange a relocation to the Fort Worth area. I was stationed with my family in Ft. Hood for 4.5 years (I'm an Army brat) and absolutely fell in love with Texas. The rest of my family spans from Waco to North Fort now, and we're trying to get down there as fast as we can. We're now outside of Tacoma, WA, and are finally getting set up to move next August '10.

Anyway, I know that the job market is better in Texas (especially compared to the 22% unemployment we have here in WA state...) We are prepared for some difficulty in getting started somewhere new, but I was wondering really how hard it would be to find jobs ahead of time before the move?

We aren't being corporately relocated, this will all be on us. We are trying to do this before we have any kids, since that will make a world of difference, I'm sure. Is it reasonable to think he could secure a job from out-of-state? He works in the Coffee industry now (and has for the most part of 7 years been in the delivery/shipping/fulfillment end of things.) He's also a certified forklift driver.

I'm just trying to avoid a scenario where we finally move, but have no prospects down there until after we arrive. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 09:10 AM

11,856 posts, read 26,881,949 times
Getting a job here while living out of state will be difficult. Can he fly down at a moment's notice for interviews? If not, this will put him at a disadvantage compared to local candidates. Keep in mind that even though our unemployment rate isn't 22%, it is 10% which means there are still a lot of folks looking for work here.

Old 12-03-2009, 03:01 PM

He can't fly down for interviews on the spot, but we're hoping to be able to set up interviews for when we get into town if he can't do things long-distance. I see lots and lots of work ahead of us. But that's ok, we're getting ready for it.

Old 12-03-2009, 06:20 PM

What kind of work does he do? I'm the HR manager for a long-term care facility. If you need leads for healthcare/nursing, let me know!

Old 12-03-2009, 06:58 PM

Christie,

That is extremely nice of you, thanks! Neither of us are in healthcare, though.

He has done mostly warehouse, but also delivery driving, shipping, or construction/welding/steelwork, and even sales. The issue I'm thinking is that most of the blue-collar type jobs hire when they need someone, and won't necessarily want to interview ahead of time.

Are there any well-reputed companies down there that we should look into?

Old 12-04-2009, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBonnetBound View Post
Christie,

He has done mostly warehouse, but also delivery driving, shipping, or construction/welding/steelwork, and even sales. The issue I'm thinking is that most of the blue-collar type jobs hire when they need someone, and won't necessarily want to interview ahead of time.
I wish I had more infor for you but that is not an industry I am familiar with.
Yes, most blue-collar jobs hire when they need someone. A coworker's husband does similar work (except for the sales part) and after being out of work for 6 months, we were finally able to get him on at our facility doing maintenance work. I will say that there are a LOT of blue-collar people looking for work here. Not to be gloom and doom, but I don't want you to be disillusioned...

Old 12-30-2009, 10:42 PM

115 posts, read 248,394 times
Default Re: ChristieP

Hi Christie, Im a ER RN of 5 years relocating from Michigan to Texas by June. How is the job market there? Will it be difficult to secure a job from out of state. Im already licensed in the state of Texas. I have applied at the VA, my other interest are Parkland, Texas Health Resource, Baylor. It has been suggested to me from others off this site to look into Methodist as well. I know anything about any of the above mentioned Health Systems. What type of pay can I look forward to? As far as credentials and cert's: Pals, ACLS, ENPC, BLS, TNCC, CEN. I will appreciate any ifo you can provide.

Thanks

Old 12-31-2009, 11:07 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
CHECK OUT THE TEXAS WORKFORCE COMMISSION JOB SITE
it is on-line and has list of every state job posted and also companies that do contract work for the state
lots of commercial driver jobs posted there
https://wit.twc.state.tx.us/WORKINTE..._BROWSE_SEARCH

it is better if you make them think you are local usually because they don't want to wait for someone to get relocated
will one of your relatives in area let you get mail at their address and then forward it to you

there are local companies that use their own trucking people try companies like Alcon, Justin, any beer distributor even a new one like Rahr in downtown FTW

Old 12-31-2009, 11:51 AM

5,476 posts, read 12,247,018 times
BlueBonnetBound,

I want to say that I am in a similar situtation. I moved to WA (Tacoma) about 5 years ago from Tx and I'm ready to get back. But the problem has been that I have been applying for jobs for the past year with no positive results. Plus, I have connections back in the areas I'm looking at. The problem is, and I had a hiring manager tell me this, is that many hiring managers will look at your out of state address, regardless of your qualifications and go no further. I also have relatives and friends back in Tx and although people will suggest you use a local address etc, the reality of the matter is that hiring managers are smarter than that. How, for instance, do you explain that your employer is in WA state while your address is in Tx? So I don't play that game. I do have a Tx area code, but that's because I've never changed my cell phone number. I have even addressed the geographical issue in my cover letter as well as phone interviews, by saying that I would look forward to funding a trip to Tx to visit with them and of course, would fund my own relocation. But with this economic environment, people are going to hire locally unless you possess a unique skillset (which I do, along with an advanced degree).

I also have signed up with the texas workforce commission, and have applied for state jobs. Same thing. They want you there. I had one man call me midday on a Monday, and wanted to schedule an interview that next day. It was the only day they were holding interviews and it wasn't enough time for me to fly out. He mistakenly thought I was in Tx and when I explained to him I would be more than happy to fly out given an extra day or offered the option of a phone interview, he flat out rejected the idea. They want to see you in person. I had another person call for an interview the day I was flying out to Chicago to visit family. He too did not want a phone interview. The advantage is for you to be there.

I have had another hiring managert tell me that if I am "serious" I will move back to Tx without something lined up. I get what she's saying, but also, I don't: I am qualified, will fund my interview trip and relocation, and take a huge salary cut, and THAT alone should tell them I am serious. So, in some ways, I think location is everything. You up your chances by looking for Govt jobs, if that's your cup of tea, but that moves slowly.

I'm ready to get out of rainy WA already. I've pretty much just set a date in my head and if nothing happens by then, I'm moving in the blind and hoping for the best. Since I have a support network, plus I"ve been mentally and financially planning for this for a while, I think I'll be okay.

Best of luck to you.

Old 01-01-2010, 05:26 PM

137 posts, read 372,269 times
Hi there all. Believe it or not I am in the same boat. I moved to Seattle 2 1/2 yrs. ago and absolutely HATE it here! If I never see a drop of rain it will be too soon! I am sick of the doom and gloom here. I don't like the people either!!! I have a good job, but that's it. My employees are the WORST most annoying people I have ever met in my life and we are wanting to relocate to the Dallas area. My husband is, and will forever b... a Texan. I have applied for a job the other day but really don't expect to hear anything due to me not being located in Texas. I don't think anybody wants to wait for someonw to relocate and all. Which makes it difficult for us because in this economy it's scary to just up and move with nothing. Except a savings account. I think we are just going to make the move too. In June '10. I need some happiness. My question is this.....how do you rent an apartment if you both are not working with just savings??? My husband even has retirement coming inm but......i think you have to make like 3 times your rent amount or something to be approved??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth