Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2007, 05:03 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times

Advertisements

I considered myself lucky to get two last minute turned back tickets to a Bass Hall concert Friday night given by an Eagles Tribute band--Hotel California...gave tickets to DH for father's day present--we really love the Eagles and love the Bass...
seats were Orchestra right, row C, seats 1-2--good, close to the stage....
Show was terrible --not because of musicians in group--but becuase of AWFUL sound board/mix levels--we basically heard nothing but drums for the first two songs--they managed to get some guitar levels and minimum vocals started but the music was just worthless...
we endured for about an hour hoping they would get it "fixed" as the person behind us who went to complain was told would happen...well, it didn't...it was absolutely the WORST performance we have been to in our years of going--and we have seen and sat in a variety of shows and locations--from top of balcony to front row...so I know it does not have to be that way...

We have tickets this next week for two performances and if the sound is this bad, we will have wasted almost $400 in tickets...I bought high end tickets because they were birthday and Christmas presents to my husband....the next performances we do not sit in the same place as Friday but I don't think that is automatic guarantee that we will hear the music...

I wrote two emails, 1 to Ball Hall staff and 1 to KLUV who sponsored the Friday night concert---
it is terrible indication when the Bass, which has such a great reputation of acoustics, will let something like the poor technical presentation go forward Friday night. I don't care if it was the band's fault (as the usher told us when we left early and complained to her about the bad mix) or whoever is working the sound board--people pay money to hear music--not pay to sit in a beautiful hall and WATCH a band perform...it wasn't a concert, as much as a comedy of errors...it just wasn't funny though...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2007, 07:40 PM

103 posts, read 676,353 times
WOW! We were there too! We were in seats J 1 & 2 Center Orchestra...(my husband said he purchased the tickets when they first went on sale when KLUV first made the announcement)....

We thought the show was AWESOME! Although, there were a few microphone problems, especially with the one guy on the left that stood like a Teddy Graham. And, agreed that the first two songs weren't the greatest sound. However...it did sound good to us a majority of the time, except for the microphone problems with Mr. Teddy Graham. The guitar solos were awesome as well!

We really enjoyed the concert. I especially enjoyed it because this was a surprise gift from my husband for my birthday...which is Monday (because I LOVE the Eagles). The drummer's voice was AWESOME; the best of the band I feel! I'm not sure if you stuck around to hear when the band did the acoustic "session"...but, it was GREAT!! The encores they did truly made the Bass rumble.

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy yourself. Hopefully your next concerts will sound better for you.

I always love going to Downtown Fort Worth. It is always a hopping place. After we left the concert...we went to Jamba Juice, walked by 8.0 and listened to more LIVE music, and did some browsing at Barnes & Noble afterward. We got outta there just in time before the big rainfall hit (it was QUITE a lightning show, that is for sure)...

Again...I hope your next concerts are better!...

p.s. How weird you were there too! LOL!

Old 06-17-2007, 07:43 AM

Glad that you enjoyed your concert...and we could tell that other parts of the Hall weren't having any problems by the crowd's response---agree that the drummer had the better voice of the vocals--

we stayed throught the "acoustic" session because that was easier to hear although we had too much guitar from the guy in front of us on the right side (he looked Russian to me, weird) and still had wandering level of vocals--(and if something is acoustic, then I am thinking only the voices would really be miked--but that's just me, I guess...)

we thought--great, they finally realized how off the sound was and went to that format while they were fixing the sound board--or maybe checking the stage cables--but did not do that--when they went back to their original spots w/drummer doing his thing--we just could not take it anymore--I never thought I would NOT want to hear an Eagles' song--but that concert turned the tide...
I really am concerned that Bass is just losing some of its original hands-on perfectness...I know they are having trouble selling enough seats for their Pops series because they cut out the Thursday night spot that we have bought tickets for for past couple of seasons--we went for the Sunday matinee this time--and actually increased from 2 to 4 tickets to use for us and our son and his fiancee--
But we have been to several of the Pops series where there was big problem w/orchestra sound and that of the group coming in to perform...the orchestra was always too loud and overwhelmed the featured group...very annoying
In fact, Wynonna is the only person I have heard there who could outsing ANY orchestra or bad sound board--her voice was tremendous...

I guess we won't be getting any more tickets for that particular spot in the seating for sure...but I am worried about what we will hear for Doc Watson and Merle Haggard--my husband really likes him, and I like acoustic guitar so I am hoping Doc Watson will be just that...
We saw Kris Kristofferson and he was awesome---just him and his guitar--and was really like a totally acoustic show as much as one can be in Bass--so I know that ALL of that amp equipment is just not necessary....

Old 06-17-2007, 10:07 AM

We were thinking this, ourselves...that the Bass wasn't really built for rock concerts..but, rather ballets, theatre presentations, symphonies, and piano recitals (Cliburn). The Nutcracker sure sounds good at Christmastime!

Enjoy the rest of your shows!! We're planning on going to see The Chieftains in February...and, we MAY see about getting Lyle Lovett tickets if we remember to order them.

Enjoy!

Old 06-18-2007, 09:07 AM

Received email early this AM from Jody Dean--said that they knew the sound was bad and they were told that Bass said they had to get replacement for show for sound board guy--that person was "best they could get" which was pretty bad...have not heard from Bass officials about my email...

Old 06-19-2007, 05:58 AM

Received an email from one of the people at Bass I wrote--he is offering reembursement for the tickets for Hotel California's performance--also offered to comp us for tickets we have already bought this week--which is more than we were looking for...
did not address the issue of WHY the concert's sound was so sub-par...
anyway
we have tickets for tonight's Doc Watson performance and tomorrow's Merle Haggard, so we are hoping there won't be any problems...just wanted to set the record straight...

Old 06-19-2007, 10:26 PM

The show Tuesday night was AWESOME----Tommy Emmanuel was the bomb--sound was great--could hear SO MUCH BETTER than Friday night...
Doc Watson we wanted to see because of his place in guitar player history--and he ws good and funny but Tommy E was a totally delightful bonus--he opened and did more than an hour of flawless, totally captivating, original music (for the most part) Did an arrangement of Somewhere Over the Rainbow that was great....he uses his guitar as percussion instrument at times while he plays and makes himself sound like a 3 man combo---
Couldn't have been more pleased...really made a good call when I bought the tickets for a Xmas present for my husband....

Old 06-21-2007, 07:20 PM

This is GREAT news!! I'm glad you enjoyed Tuesday's show much better.

We read an article in the Star Telegram about how bad the sound was. I'm sure we were hyped because we were having so much fun!!

I think they should give us ALL free tickets! I want to see Kathy Griffin...and, NOT have nosebleed seats (the rest have been sold out)...

Anyway...I'm glad things worked out for you, and you got some answers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth