Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick
 [Register]
Frederick Frederick County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 11:40 AM

850 posts, read 1,130,671 times

Advertisements

I graduated Middletown High School in 2000. I haven't been back since. I remember being bullied and called the N word all the time back then. Just curious has the environment changed much. My parents even suffered verbal harassment etc..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 07:39 AM

I see no one wants to touch this thread!!!!!!!

Old 01-26-2015, 02:28 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,084,776 times
I can't see any reason to respond to the thread. I have not seen this in the almost 20 years I have either lived in the area or that my children attended Middletown schools. I know of teachers that transferred into Middletown schools after having racial incidents in other schools in the county and have thrived here.

I cannot speak to your experiences and I am not naive enough to believe that no pockets of racism exist. But I do not believe it is widespread or the norm in the area

Old 01-26-2015, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
I can't see any reason to respond to the thread. I have not seen this in the almost 20 years I have either lived in the area or that my children attended Middletown schools. I know of teachers that transferred into Middletown schools after having racial incidents in other schools in the county and have thrived here.

I cannot speak to your experiences and I am not naive enough to believe that no pockets of racism exist. But I do not believe it is widespread or the norm in the area
What are your kids nationality?

Also what years did they attend and which school?

Last edited by steppinthrax; 01-26-2015 at 07:05 PM..

Old 01-26-2015, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steppinthrax View Post
What are your kids nationality?

Also what years did they attend and which school?
Won't tell you what years they attended (It would identify me too easily :-)) but they were in the middle and high schools when you were there.

Nationality - They are Americans.

Old 01-26-2015, 07:58 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
im sorry that happened to you. it reminds me of the terrible things that were done in new orleans when i was a child.
and now the terrible things that are done in the south that i am an old man, only now the victims are white.
je suis jessica chambers

Old 01-26-2015, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Won't tell you what years they attended (It would identify me too easily :-)) but they were in the middle and high schools when you were there.

Nationality - They are Americans.
Weird,

How can I identify one of thousands of students based on what years they attended?

Anyway, you didn't want to give me a direct answer to my question, regarding nationality. Providing a evading answer. I'm fairly certain your kids are Americans. I'm assuming you and your kids are white. Therefore you nor your kids qualify to state "I have not seen this in the almost 20 years I have either lived in the area or that my children attended Middletown schools."

Old 01-27-2015, 04:58 AM

Based on other comments I have made over the years, combined with that information, Yes someone could possibly identify me.

And you asked for nationality not race. But based on your comments you feel that only people of a certain race are 'qualified' to notice racism?
B*!!$#!t ! This is why I didn't want to get involved in this discussion.

I will state again - I don't disagree that there is some bigotry in the area but I feel it is limited and not widespread. I also know that some people have chosen to work in the Middletown feeder schools instead of some other districts in the county because the area is more open minded than some other areas of the county.

Old 01-27-2015, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Based on other comments I have made over the years, combined with that information, Yes someone could possibly identify me.

And you asked for nationality not race. But based on your comments you feel that only people of a certain race are 'qualified' to notice racism?
B*!!$#!t ! This is why I didn't want to get involved in this discussion.

I will state again - I don't disagree that there is some bigotry in the area but I feel it is limited and not widespread. I also know that some people have chosen to work in the Middletown feeder schools instead of some other districts in the county because the area is more open minded than some other areas of the county.
"Open Minded"??

I found the people there actually quite closed minded. You now indicate there is bigotry in the area. Yes, there was definitely bigotry.

If you're white in a school that is 98% white you're likelihood of being discriminated against based on the color of your skin is nill. However, I have plenty of experience and stories of "bigotry" (your words) within the Middletown area.

I have a suspicion that many who choose to go to work in Middletown schools, work there because of the "one sided" demographics.

Old 02-03-2015, 08:20 AM

299 posts, read 556,596 times
IMO, you're likely to find what you expect to find, anywhere you go.

I can't really speak for Midletown, as I've only passed through it while driving. But geographically, it's something like a 1.7 square mile area. It's, frankly, a pretty insignificant part of Frederick County as a whole. (Not saying it is or isn't a great place to live, work, attend school, or what-not. Just saying that it's one of many rural areas that make up the county as a whole.)

Any time you have a small enough community, you've got the possibility that the words and actions of a few tend to speak for the whole to a much greater extent than they would in a larger place. So sure, in a town that small, it only takes one or two racist idiots to mouth off a lot and suddenly, they're capable of projecting that image over the whole town (assuming the majority just ignore it and don't make an equal effort to refute it).

But for the record, I live not that far away, in Brunswick. I'm white but I'm married to a black woman and we have a blended family, with 2 of her kids from previous relationships (both mixed race) and my daughter who is white. We haven't run into any bigotry or discrimination in the area, so far. In fact, I see more misunderstanding from visitors who make incorrect assumptions than anything else.

(EG. A woman came into town a while back to write some restaurant reviews, and made some pretty negative comments about Brunswick - largely based on her seeing a Confederate flag waving in front of a home. Well, guess what? That home belonged to a life-time resident of Knoxville, not Brunswick (but she obviously didn't pay attention to where the city boundaries were while driving along). AND, he volunteered for years as a Civil War re-enactment guy. That's why he had the flag up! I believe he recently passed away and someone took his flag down after that.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick