Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick
 [Register]
Frederick Frederick County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 02:35 PM

35 posts, read 32,942 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I’m mid 20s (single) and am interviewing for a position in Frederick, MD. I haven’t visited this specific area yet, but have been to DC many times. I didn’t realize the company was so ‘far out’ when i applied - which is why I’d be really grateful to hear your thoughts and opinions. I love big cities, with walkable, urban and dense centers. Also like local parks, architecture, etc - and being close by to amenities within easy distance. I do own a car, but really value public transport. Restaurants, bars, etc. Key is I would like to be near other young professionals.

Before I take time off work to fly for the interview and scope the area - does anyone have advice on areas I should check out? I think being closer to DC would be my preference. However, I’m mindful of an outrageous commute.

Or do you think given the above, I would be best to forgo this interview and wait until I can be a bit closer to DC? I’m just basing my knowledge of location of Frederick based off of google maps and what I’ve read online so far.

Any advice would be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2019, 02:35 PM

7,005 posts, read 11,301,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsov View Post
Hi everyone! I’m mid 20s (single) and am interviewing for a position in Frederick, MD. I haven’t visited this specific area yet, but have been to DC many times. I didn’t realize the company was so ‘far out’ when i applied - which is why I’d be really grateful to hear your thoughts and opinions. I love big cities, with walkable, urban and dense centers. Also like local parks, architecture, etc - and being close by to amenities within easy distance. I do own a car, but really value public transport. Restaurants, bars, etc. Key is I would like to be near other young professionals.

Before I take time off work to fly for the interview and scope the area - does anyone have advice on areas I should check out? I think being closer to DC would be my preference. However, I’m mindful of an outrageous commute.

Or do you think given the above, I would be best to forgo this interview and wait until I can be a bit closer to DC? I’m just basing my knowledge of location of Frederick based off of google maps and what I’ve read online so far.

Downtown Frederick is gentrified, walkable, relatively dense, with parks, bars, restaurants. You may just have found what you are looking for, in the place you work (novel concept in Maryland, I know )

I don't know about the number of young professionals, I haven't lived in Frederick of over 10 years now, but I think there are a high number downtown. Hopefully other posters can tell you more.

Old 03-24-2019, 02:49 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,945,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsov View Post
Hi everyone! I’m mid 20s (single) and am interviewing for a position in Frederick, MD. I haven’t visited this specific area yet,

google maps. Drill down to street view level LINK and take a walk

Old 03-25-2019, 06:41 PM

299 posts, read 556,833 times
Yeah.... I'd say downtown Frederick, while relatively small, does have that walkable, trendy/hip thing going on with nice restaurants, bars and coffee houses, etc. (It recently won an award for one of the top 3 best downtown's in America, so they're doing something right!)

There are lots of free, live music performances in the park during the summer, occasional art exhibits, and more. And much of the architecture is historically significant.

The only hesitation I have in recommending it is that you're single and in your mid 20's. There are certainly a number of other singles around in that age range .... but if you're really into DC? Frederick is no DC. Basically, it's an area that was hardly more than rural farmland just a decade or two ago. It still has a big rural portion of it, which you'll face head-on if you ever attend an event like the annual Frederick County Fair. It's undergone a really rapid build-up/build-out in recent years though, so different parts have completely different feels to them. (The area along Buckeystown Pike between I-270 and I-70 on the other end reminds me a LOT of the suburbs in St. Louis, Missouri -- my own home town. You have all the big box stores and chain restaurants, car dealers, banks, strip malls full of random stores from vaping shops to comic book shops, etc. But plenty of good sized parking lots and nothing spaced TOO close together.)

For what it's worth? I work for a business that does communications marketing and we tend to hire a lot of younger singles. As a middle-aged married guy with a family, I prefer Frederick to DC and really to the crowded (and higher priced housing) of Montgomery County too. But I'd say most of the younger people I work with think I live WAY far out, up in Frederick -- and they've either never been up there in their life, or have visited in the past and have no real interest in it except maybe as a random "one off" weekend road trip.

Old 03-25-2019, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw71 View Post
Yeah.... I'd say downtown Frederick, while relatively small, does have that walkable, trendy/hip thing going on with nice restaurants, bars and coffee houses, etc. (It recently won an award for one of the top 3 best downtown's in America, so they're doing something right!)

There are lots of free, live music performances in the park during the summer, occasional art exhibits, and more. And much of the architecture is historically significant.

The only hesitation I have in recommending it is that you're single and in your mid 20's. There are certainly a number of other singles around in that age range .... but if you're really into DC? Frederick is no DC. Basically, it's an area that was hardly more than rural farmland just a decade or two ago. It still has a big rural portion of it, which you'll face head-on if you ever attend an event like the annual Frederick County Fair. It's undergone a really rapid build-up/build-out in recent years though, so different parts have completely different feels to them. (The area along Buckeystown Pike between I-270 and I-70 on the other end reminds me a LOT of the suburbs in St. Louis, Missouri -- my own home town. You have all the big box stores and chain restaurants, car dealers, banks, strip malls full of random stores from vaping shops to comic book shops, etc. But plenty of good sized parking lots and nothing spaced TOO close together.)

For what it's worth? I work for a business that does communications marketing and we tend to hire a lot of younger singles. As a middle-aged married guy with a family, I prefer Frederick to DC and really to the crowded (and higher priced housing) of Montgomery County too. But I'd say most of the younger people I work with think I live WAY far out, up in Frederick -- and they've either never been up there in their life, or have visited in the past and have no real interest in it except maybe as a random "one off" weekend road trip.
Thanks for your feedback. Agreed, if I had a family it may be less of a concern. But right now while I’m looking for that (and a good career first and foremost!) I think it’s worth heading for a visit and getting a feel for it in person. Thanks for your two sense.

Old 03-25-2019, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Downtown Frederick is gentrified, walkable, relatively dense, with parks, bars, restaurants. You may just have found what you are looking for, in the place you work (novel concept in Maryland, I know )

I don't know about the number of young professionals, I haven't lived in Frederick of over 10 years now, but I think there are a high number downtown. Hopefully other posters can tell you more.
Sounds great, thank you!

Old 04-01-2019, 08:45 PM

16 posts, read 28,544 times
Not sure if anyone mentioned this, but if Frederick's small city charm isn't your thing, you could still work here and commute from Montgomery County. You'd be going against the commuter traffic, so although it is an awful commuting area (lots of statistics on that!) you'd get some relief. Check out Rockville, Bethesda. They have some pretty trendy communities for people in your situation.

As for Frederick, it's a mix of a lot of different people. You won't be wowed by the amount of people your age, but there are absolutely a good number of them. Downtown Frederick is the areas main hub for nightlife, and can get very busy, but is also a sleepy town in its own way. I like it because I can always find something to do, but it's also not like a big city in that it's impossible to get away from people, even if you live downtown.

Old 04-04-2019, 06:57 PM

118 posts, read 126,105 times
Skip Frederick and live in DC. Frederick will leave you bored after a week or two.

Old 04-05-2019, 07:12 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,282,338 times
Working in Fredrick but living closer to DC is actually not a bad thing as you'll have a reverse commute. That said, rent/homes are considerably more expensive as you move east toward either DC or Baltimore.

If you want to live closer to night life. - look at Rockville, Bethesda, and even Columbia, MD. Columbia is between Baltimore and DC, so a bit further from DC. Albeit Columbia is more suited to families vs. singles.

Old 04-11-2019, 06:15 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,510,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesInDC View Post
Skip Frederick and live in DC. Frederick will leave you bored after a week or two.
Disagree. Based on what she's told us and my own experience, Frederick is a good fit. I don't see how anyone could be bored with Frederick in a week or two.

With that being said, it all depends on your interests. What is nice about Frederick is it is close to DC/Baltimore, but if you enjoy nature and outdoor rec (which I do) you're also very close to activities in West Virginia/western Maryland. Hiking, rafting, canoeing, camping, mountain biking, etc. This is a huge draw and partly why why Frederick, Nova and the Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia are all rapidly growing.

Chelsov, if those activities interest you I would recommend Frederick over closer to DC. If you value nightlife over recreation, then look closer to DC (Bethesda, Rockville, etc.).

I have a friend in Arlington who would give anything to move to Frederick right now because he misses the opportunities for outdoor rec.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick