Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 06:38 PM

541 posts, read 1,340,145 times

Advertisements

I am european,came 2 years ago to California,am finacial very responsable person,can good handle money and like to save money,have zero debts (no car payments,no house payments..zero).I have a good material situation,because i can handle money so good and my parents and grandparents did the same.My family are 3 persons,husband and junior.But saving alone (group is better) does not make fun.I would like to have a "Buy nothing month",starting 9 august to 9 september,save as much as you can.Does anybody want to take the challenge with me?Saving in group makes more fun,we can talk about our experiment,temptation,successes,ideas.The rule is:buy nothing except strict necessary. On long term is no good for economy not to buy anything,but from time to time,such an experiment teaches selfdiscipline and a new approach to money.Who wants to join?

Please no bad comments..if you want to join,good,if not,move on,read teh next post..very simple...

and if nobody wants to join,oh well,i do it alone...smile!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2010, 08:56 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,542,202 times
Sure, maybe.

I would play along if we did "Buy Nothing from a Corporation."

Old 08-07-2010, 09:24 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,995,583 times
That would be hard even my local stand is a corporation, Almost all are LLC, or incorporated to provide protection of there personal assets, so if something happens at the farm stand they are not going to 'lose the farm' the LLC/Corp will go under but they are safe. (somewhat) the LLC has next to no assets to get.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:08 AM

ok...i think,it was not understood corectly...sorry for my english...
i am still learning..

the goal of the experiment is to exercise selfdiscipline and to buy nothing,what you do not need one month long...also to try to live as frugal as possible,for example,not dine out,try to cook at home (or eat at a friend's house)...see,how much you save by changing certain things one month...for example not buy anything like new clothes,new gadgets,no new furniture or housewares,no salon services,no new make up,no new tools,no whatever you people generally buy.
..i noticed at many americans they spend a lot and buy things they can not afford or they really do not need...the idea is:just think and ask yourself:do i really need this?a month withouht unnecessary shopping..only necessity..to think one month long about,what is truly a need and what is a must and share hier..why do you think it is a need?..and so on...

in the process we could learn about each other,how we spend and how resourceful we can be,in such a situation,in such an experiment..you can learn about yourself,your spending habits and in addition you could save some money (and maybe lose some pounds??)....

..so this is privately..private,familly budget..

bussiness expenses are separately....i am talking about private budget..

you could also learn about the way an european woman approach money and spending...and musts and needs..could be interesting for everybody involved..

but you have to be corect,not buy in preparation for teh month..if you are in,you shoudl really focus on,whether or not,what are you buying is a necessity or not

Last edited by Buburuza13; 08-08-2010 at 08:32 AM..

Old 08-08-2010, 08:33 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,575,664 times
LOL! I already live like that! House paid for, car paid for no debts, just month to month expenses. I am trying to stash back all I can for retitrement, have cut back to the bare bones and trying not to spend anymore that I will have on retirement to see how it "fits".. I cook at home from scratch so that I can control what is in the food I eat..

Old 08-08-2010, 08:50 AM

laura this is great..it looks like, you are a very finacial responsable person..there are not too many americans,who could say,their house and car is paid..you are in minority

maybe you have some advices for us,specially women hier?how to resist all these temptations,not to buy?...especially things on sale..

my rule is :I LOVE IT AND I NEED IT...only if this 2 conditions are fulfilled,i buy it...if only one is fulfilled,i refuse to buy and resiste the temptation...
not my husband,who is an american,who likes to buy and shopping wiht him is a struggle sometimes...

Old 08-08-2010, 09:06 AM

61,659 posts, read 87,023,434 times
I still have a house payment, but no car payment ( insurance and gas - yes ), phone/internet & utility. But that's it. I do have sometimes periods of weeks when I do not buy anything except gas. I am like you, Buburuza ( also from Europe) - very savvy and responsible financially and never buy things I do not need. I think that going a whole month long without setting my foot in a store, or opening my wallet would be no hardship for me.
BTW: you do not pay any of the regular monthly payments like rent/insurance/phone/Internet/utility and occasional gas?? Well, I cannot skip those but I can try to not to buy ANYTHING for 30 days.
Temptation?? Naaaaaah....
With your project: does that mean that we have to stash things? Like do a big grocery shopping, buy toilet paper, laundry stuff, etc.? then do not buy anything for a whole month?

Last edited by elnina; 08-09-2010 at 02:10 AM..

Old 08-08-2010, 10:20 AM

15,128 posts, read 32,311,390 times
I've lived like that all my life.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:30 AM

61,659 posts, read 87,023,434 times
^^^^
so, month for month, year for year, whole life long - you didn't buy ANYTHING??? It's hard to believe...

Old 08-08-2010, 10:32 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,338,536 times
We just bought a house, so we have been furnishing it, but for the most part, we don't buy anything we don't need - except for cable and cell phone plans.

We do go on a vacation every year and we eat out once a month or twice...but that's about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living