Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2011, 01:46 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,287,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
No, I'm not saying that at all.

We enjoy piling up money so that someday we no longer need the income stream from working to support our lifestyle, instead financing it from said pile of money.

We don't want anymore stuff, we just want more time to do whatever we want instead of working.
If you're financing your lifestyle from a pile of cash vs a regular income stream, you are buying stuff with that money (be it travel tickets, house payments, etc). So the amassment of money is to buy stuff that you wouldn't be able to without a regular income stream.

The point was, you're(we're/whomever) not wanting to amass cash in order for it to just sit there unused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 02:21 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,195,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
The point was, you're(we're/whomever) not wanting to amass cash in order for it to just sit there unused.
I believe the point was the lifestyle change that comes with more money, the implication that wealth accumulation has to have a goal of having of more stuff. She said:

"there really has only been one fundamental reason to desire be rich, and that is to have more stuff. (..) End of story."

That is what I disagreed with, as we're accumulating money not to "have more stuff" but to have the same amount of stuff without needing to go to work every day. The measure of tangible stuff stays constant, regardless of the measure of net worth.

Old 02-23-2011, 03:30 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,676,799 times
Quote:
I believe the point was the lifestyle change that comes with more money, the implication that wealth accumulation has to have a goal of having of more stuff. She said:

"there really has only been one fundamental reason to desire be rich, and that is to have more stuff. (..) End of story.

That is what I disagreed with, as we're accumulating money not to "have more stuff" but to have the same amount of stuff without needing to go to work every day. The measure of tangible stuff stays constant, regardless of the measure of net worth.
Yes, I agree since this thread is NOT about more "stuff" Any fool can spend themselves broke. It takes more thought along with a good understanding of what your core values are "use" your money and save what is not immediately needed per your core values.

It helps to develop "selective hearing/sight" so that all the advertisement that bombards us all can be tuned out to avoid being "talked into" impulse buying.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:04 PM

5,020 posts, read 7,222,436 times
I don't really need more "stuff", but I'd sure like to trade it in on some better "stuff".

Old 02-23-2011, 06:16 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,447,068 times
Quote:
No, I'm not saying that at all.

We enjoy piling up money so that someday we no longer need the income stream from working to support our lifestyle, instead financing it from said pile of money.

We don't want anymore stuff, we just want more time to do whatever we want instead of working.
Ok, makes sense. I think you have Tightwad's seal of approval, for what it's worth. My whole perspective was just a profound disagreement with people saying "this is a valid reason to be rich, but this isn't." It seems rather small and silly to me.

Old 02-24-2011, 02:32 AM

8 posts, read 19,548 times
I would like to be rich because I want to afford luxury in life =)

Old 02-26-2011, 02:46 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,355,088 times
It would reduce the stress I have about not being able to pay bills, help my mother, and pay for my children's college tution. I would be able to take yoga classes without guilt, I love yoga, but don't take classes because they cost too much, I know I have DVD's, but it is not the same...

Old 02-26-2011, 03:22 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,193,209 times
I'd like to be rich so I could afford to send all four of my kids to a tier 1 college....

I'd like to be rich so I could afford a toy like the Nissan Leaf

I'd like to be rich so I could afford a house like Al Gore

I'd like to be rich so I never had to worry about seeing a doctor

I'd like to be rich so I could say I work on my cars because I like to do it, not because I have to do it

I'd like to be rich so I wouldn't have to worry about April 15th and the IRS

Old 02-26-2011, 03:26 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,469,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
What reasons would cause you to want to be "rich"?

NOTE: Don't put down that you just want more stuff or more money to buy more stuff. Those are not valid reasons to want to be "rich".

That said what would motivate you to desire to be "rich"??
You say more stuff and more money are not valid reasons.

But what if those are the reasons someone wants to be rich?

The reason I would want to be rich is so I don't have to choose between buying something I want or buying something I need...I want to be able to afford both.

And I think it would just be comforting knowing you can afford stuff and not having to worry about money.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:01 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,686,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
You say more stuff and more money are not valid reasons.

But what if those are the reasons someone wants to be rich?

The reason I would want to be rich is so I don't have to choose between buying something I want or buying something I need...I want to be able to afford both.

And I think it would just be comforting knowing you can afford stuff and not having to worry about money.
Kiddo, the OP specifically said, "NOTE: Don't put down that you just want more stuff or more money to buy more stuff. Those are not valid reasons to want to be "rich"." His opinion, his thread and posters have responded in kind. If you have something to contribute based on the OP's question as posed then I'm sure your comments will be duly noted but to immediately jump in and argue with what he's asking is rather disrespectful.

In response to the OP, I've been both financially rich (or at least quite "well off") and financially struggling at different times over a long life. At this late stage of my life I can't even think of retiring as I'm self-employed and run a business entirely dependent on me. I don't want for much on a day to day basis, I've thus far remained quite healthy and my vast and varied experience where employment and experience is concerned hasn't negated any optimism that if my thus 15 year old current business should come to an end, I wouldn't be able to find another arena which would enable me to support myself.

Being financially rich would be nice at this stage of the game and would enable me to take more time off and do some more traveling, contribute more to charitable causes, give some financial aid to family members who need a respite and generally have a lot less to worry about every day.

Being "rich" to me has taken on a whole new meaning for a long time now. I'm "rich" because my life has been enriched through exposure to so much and from which I've learned and in turn has benefited others in other than material ways. Cheers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living