Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 10:14 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times

Advertisements

Yesterday I was reading a book entitled "The Science of Getting Rich" and there were some very thought-provoking statements that really made me think about my role in frugality.

Basically (allow me to paraphrase a bit), "nature" (or "God" of you are so inclined") WANTS us to enjoy abundant riches. Now, of course, abundant riches are defined in many different ways. To some it might mean a large, loving family. To others, abundant riches might be the luxury of time to enjoy life. Or to some it might mean monetary riches - money - things, etc.

Life (nature, God) wants us to enjoy our lives to the fullest. Every possible aspect of happiness and to that end it (he) provides us with everything we need to obtain those goals. Including those who desire WEALTH.

If we are offered abundance, it is like turning away from that concept.

Now, this is NOT to say that we should incur debt to enjoy abundance. NO NO NO. That is wrong. But we should be able to peacefully enjoy the abundance that comes into our life without feeling guilty about it.

Being a very frugal person, this concept would not have occurred to me, but in a way it makes perfect sense. We should not be wasteful. We should not be greedy, acquiring more money, or possessions that we can use in a lifetime. We should not deprive others just because we "want" something.

But if we work hard, and honorably and acquire money, I don't think it is wrong to enjoy it. I don't think it is wrong to buy things that make us happy (and make no mistake, *things* do make us happy, despite what the philosophers would like us to believe.)

Previous to reading this book, I was deeply resentful of people who seemed to enjoy their money. I received a sense of joy in the martyrdom that comes from being EXTREMELY FRUGAL. This is not to say that I condone people who spend outrageously just because they CAN. But it gives me permission to enjoy what I have and to occasionally buy something that otherwise, I might have denied myself based on the philosophy that it is somehow WRONG to enjoy having things that you want.

I recommend that other frugal folks who might be wrestling with this concept to pick up a copy of this (It's available online free, at www.soilandhealth.org/03sov/.../030412.Wattle.Getting.Rich.pdf (broken link)) and is in the public domain.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 10:27 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Frugality is like stamp collecting. Frugality is a hobby, and saving a few cents on a purchase gives the same pleasure as putting a new stamp in your album.

Over time, as the stamp album grows with random additions, it also increases by small increments in value, and one day, can represent an instrument of wealth, just as the accumulated savings of the frugal. And even if it doesn't, it spiritually fulfilled the hobbyist.

Even though he can't take it with him, I doubt if very many misers, on their death beds, regret their frugality and wish they had bought more bling and newer cars. Just as nobody, on his death bed, ever mutters "I wish I had spent more time at the office".

Old 09-03-2010, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Frugality is like stamp collecting. Frugality is a hobby, and saving a few cents on a purchase gives the same pleasure as putting a new stamp in your album.

Over time, as the stamp album grows with random additions, it also increases by small increments in value, and one day, can represent an instrument of wealth, just as the accumulated savings of the frugal. And even if it doesn't, it spiritually fulfilled the hobbyist.

Even though he can't take it with him, I doubt if very many misers, on their death beds, regret their frugality and wish they had bought more bling and newer cars. Just as nobody, on his death bed, ever mutters "I wish I had spent more time at the office".
Which begs the question.... "What do people regret on their death beds, and how does being frugal impact that regret scenario?"

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-03-2010, 10:58 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
He who dies with the most toys wins. I'm on the verge of spending $150 on impact sockets. Don't really need 'em, but they'll go nicely with my new Nitrocat 1200-K impact gun, which I really don't need but who cares it's fun to use and sounds way cooler than a breaker bar snapping big bolts off.

Work hard, play hard, enjoy life.

You can get hit by a drunk driver tomorrow on your way home, at least have some fun in your life.

Old 09-04-2010, 12:35 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Which begs the question.... "What do people regret on their death beds, and how does being frugal impact that regret scenario?"

20yrsinBranson
According to Mark Twain, they do not regret anything they have done---only the things they did not do. So people who spend most of their lives working and buying, will have a great deal to regret.

Old 09-04-2010, 01:07 AM

61,722 posts, read 87,123,005 times
I think everyone should enjoy life - whatever would that mean to them, but waste is a sin, and should be seen as such.

Old 09-04-2010, 03:35 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,075,941 times
I think WASTE is a 'sin' and GLUTTONY is a 'sin', and everything else is pushing away abundance. The penny pinching is sending out the message that you'll never have enough, that you are in lack, and whatever message you send out there is the message the (I like 'universe' instead of 'nature' or 'God') hears. And whatever it hears, that's what you'll get more of. It's the law.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:45 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,755,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claud605 View Post
I think WASTE is a 'sin' and GLUTTONY is a 'sin', and everything else is pushing away abundance. The penny pinching is sending out the message that you'll never have enough, that you are in lack, and whatever message you send out there is the message the (I like 'universe' instead of 'nature' or 'God') hears. And whatever it hears, that's what you'll get more of. It's the law.
I think people don't need half of what they think they need.

I moved : and sold, consigned , gave away a big part of my belongings.

Now I live a lighter , freeer life. If I have to move it won't cost as much .

We think we need 1500 nic nacks , rooms full of books , bric brac , this and that , but in reality as human beings we need very little.

It's the mind set of " Cram this house full of stuff "

To me the most important thing you can have material wise is a car that runs well so you can do lots of road trips to see the country side

Have a decent job ( for those of you lucky enough to have one right now )

A warm bed and feeling peace when you lay your head down at night.

If there were a serious world issue and alot of our resources were cut off , gas , oil , power , we would revert back to the 1800's where we would grow our own food and walk most places.

Thats not a kook theory. It could happen . Could be hundreds of years from now or in 10 years.

Thats why everyone should know how to grow a garden , self survival skills.

I think the mind-set of alot of people is going to change. It must change because our world certainly is.....

Old 09-04-2010, 10:01 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times
"(It's available online free, at http://www.soilandhealth.org/03sov/....tting.Rich.pdf (broken link)) "

link doesn't work........

Old 09-04-2010, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claud605 View Post
I agree very much with this statement, my friend. But until recently, I was most content to live a spartan existence. Not because I felt that having was sinful, but simply I had no wants. Let's say, I never developed any wants.

But I believe, as you do, that the universe WILL provide and that we are entitled to abundance. I enjoy the simplicity of my life, but I would like to have the OPTION of being able to purchase something if I wish to - without feeling like I am somehow doing something wrong.

I was brought up in an environment of "rich people are evil and bad" and that we are poor and we will always be poor because we were not born rich or evil. I think this has colored my perceptions for YEARS.

The universe wants to give us EVERYTHING we desire. It doesn't hurt anybody else, so why should that be wrong?

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living