Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 08:03 PM

176 posts, read 583,914 times

Advertisements

I just fill up wherever it is convenient when my gas tank gets down. I think you need to consider the value of your time as well as the cost of additional mileage to save a dollar or so in gas costs. My nearest gas station is 9 miles away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 09:54 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,231,682 times
Default Costco

I fill up both cars weekly at Costco. It's currently 17 cents cheaper than regular gas stations. Of course, gas is pricey in HI. I only wish the Costco's here in the islands had a cash option. They put a $100 hold on your debit, and my daughter has been declined several times, when she didn't have $100 on her ATM acct. The other thing they don't have that notch thing to allow you to set it and fill your tank, you have to keep holding it. Weird.

Old 10-09-2010, 01:14 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
We go to Costco, it's a little out of the way but relatively close by and the gas is cheaper than just about everywhere. The closest gas station is about a nickel more expensive than Costco, but they have done everything in their power to tick us off. I have had the pump turned off in the middle of a transaction, the credit card declined at the pump so I have to go in to the station, only to be faced with an angry clerk because we weren't buying anything other than gas, and the last time, screamed at by the clerk (who I think may be the owner) because I complained the card reader wasn't working AGAIN.

After that last time, I realized that someone who opens a gas station in a poor area with no choices can act any damn way he pleases because the poor underserved people in the neighborhood have no choice. But *I* am NOT poor, and *I* have choices, and I choose to NEVER come here again.

And yes -- I did tell him that, in those words. About 10 years ago. I've gone there for a couple of bucks of gas when I was running on fumes twice. Man, I DO hold a grudge....

Old 10-09-2010, 01:23 AM

1,354 posts, read 6,377,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
We go to Costco, it's a little out of the way but relatively close by and the gas is cheaper than just about everywhere. The closest gas station is about a nickel more expensive than Costco, but they have done everything in their power to tick us off. I have had the pump turned off in the middle of a transaction, the credit card declined at the pump so I have to go in to the station, only to be faced with an angry clerk because we weren't buying anything other than gas, and the last time, screamed at by the clerk (who I think may be the owner) because I complained the card reader wasn't working AGAIN.

After that last time, I realized that someone who opens a gas station in a poor area with no choices can act any damn way he pleases because the poor underserved people in the neighborhood have no choice. But *I* am NOT poor, and *I* have choices, and I choose to NEVER come here again.

And yes -- I did tell him that, in those words. About 10 years ago. I've gone there for a couple of bucks of gas when I was running on fumes twice. Man, I DO hold a grudge....
You need to call the state weights and measures division. I am pretty sure that is what its called. They will go there in unmarked cars and purcahse gas, check the machines, etc. They aren't an agency to mess with, they will fine the heck out of the owner. Years ago there was a gas station where I lived that would stop $.25 short of the actual sale. This happened for a very long time, I can only imagine what the owner was making off of everyone. That all stopped when weights and measures was called.

Old 10-09-2010, 07:31 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,000,428 times
Tally: I would not give the station who ticked me off any my money/biz. Go to the one 'accross' the street, even if it cost few cents more.

I get my Gas at the grocery store, there price is 2/3cents less then the stand alone gas/cstores, and about 10cents less with my shopper card.

Ive driven into/out of gas station with out getting gas for station that do not have pay at the pump. I dont want to go into the store 2x once to have them turn the pump on, 2x to get my cc ticket. And have to wait in line behind every one getting lottery tickets, etc.. Takes a 5 min gas trip to 15mins.

Old 10-09-2010, 10:21 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inthesierras View Post
You need to call the state weights and measures division. I am pretty sure that is what its called. They will go there in unmarked cars and purcahse gas, check the machines, etc. They aren't an agency to mess with, they will fine the heck out of the owner. Years ago there was a gas station where I lived that would stop $.25 short of the actual sale. This happened for a very long time, I can only imagine what the owner was making off of everyone. That all stopped when weights and measures was called.
With the pay at the pump feature, they never cheated me out of gas. What they stopped the pump at is what I was charged -- so that wouldn't be the right place to call.

I think the big problem for this guy is that he needs people to come in to buy stuff, because at least out here -- his gas money pays for the gas and he doesn't make enough money from it.

I've heard that from other gas station owners when I worked at the bank. If they sold 30K in gas, they paid out 29K to the gas supplier. So they had to have a different set of income streams. That's why all these places have little stores and so many of them have auto repair, oil changes and car washes.

Old 10-10-2010, 07:58 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Twice in my life I lived in places where it was worthwhile to drive to another state to buy gas. In North Florida, I could save 30% (not 30 cents, 30 percent) by driving 25 miles to Valdosta, Georgia, to buy gas. I don't think I put a drop of Florida gas in my car in two years. Also, when I lived in Kansas, I tanked up on my weekly commute to Missouri, for a substantial savings.

Old 10-10-2010, 10:07 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,000,428 times
When I lived in PA, I would tank up in NJ on my way to/from work. Would be about 10-20cents a gallon less. (mostly taxes then). I would not go out of my way to save the cost of gas/Op cost of car would kill any savings, I use $1/Mile as my factor. If I had to go more then 1 mile out or my way I would need to save Min 10cents a gallon. (My avg fill was about 10gal in my subaru).

Old 10-12-2010, 06:40 AM

464 posts, read 804,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Twice in my life I lived in places where it was worthwhile to drive to another state to buy gas. In North Florida, I could save 30% (not 30 cents, 30 percent) by driving 25 miles to Valdosta, Georgia, to buy gas. I don't think I put a drop of Florida gas in my car in two years. Also, when I lived in Kansas, I tanked up on my weekly commute to Missouri, for a substantial savings.
Very true, Georgia does have cheaper gas prices.

I used to fill up in either St. Marys or Kingsland if headed into Jacksonville or if I was going to Charleston, S.C. area, I'd fill up in Pooler or Port Wentworth, Georgia before traveling. Much cheaper prices in GA.

Old 10-12-2010, 06:52 AM

812 posts, read 1,907,633 times
We use Shell most of the time because we have Shell MC and we get % back towards our purchases and then pay off each month. I think we are/were getting 5% off the gas. So unless the cheaper places are that much less it isn't worth going to another place.

BUT they are changing their amts they "pay" back so we are considering changing to the Marathon one if we see enough stations around the normal places we drive. They recently took over all the Texaco's in our area so we would have a lot of choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living