Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 05:39 PM

917 posts, read 2,009,772 times

Advertisements

This may sound lame or corny but I was thinking of keeping track of how much money I save when I shop, go out to eat, etc. 90% of the time I use a coupon code, cash back, and I almost always shop sales. Never retail price.

Today I got an extra $5 gift card at ihop. It's not a lot but the little things do add up. Why spend more if you don't have to? I do splurge every now and then but for the most part I'm frugal. For this month I saved about $80 so far with discounts and coupon codes. I think it might be interesting to see how much I saved at the end of the year.

Does anyone keep track of how much they save?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 05:45 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,994,191 times
Not in that sense. I keep a budget, so I know my cash flow every month. But I don't track savings on individual items.

Old 12-22-2011, 10:02 PM

22,752 posts, read 48,001,080 times
I track everything in Quicken.
I can tell you how much we saved with coupons/store specials... and with Discover's Cashback Bonus. But just in Categories, not on individual items.

Old 12-22-2011, 10:25 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,247,429 times
I keep a spreadsheet only for electronics. I upgrade my electronics often (I'll get a new computer every 6 to 8 months) so I keep track what I spent and depreciation.

For everything else I use Quicken. It automates everything since I never use cash and tells me what I need to know.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:03 AM

7,031 posts, read 14,532,049 times
I almost always use credit (rewards cards I pay off in full 95% of the time) which makes it easy to track. Aside from rent, I spend less than $100 a month with cash which I only track by keeping up with when I last went to the ATM, how much I have in my wallet, etc.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:10 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,483,877 times
Another poster mentioned (I remember reading somewhere on CD) ... that they took their coupon and discount savings, put it in a piggy bank and once a month deposited the piggy bank cash in a bank savings account.

Ie, if their grocery receipt said "You've saved $9.82", when they got home, they put that amount in the pig.

Old 12-23-2011, 02:36 PM

44,422 posts, read 20,181,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hershey48 View Post
This may sound lame or corny but I was thinking of keeping track of how much money I save when I shop, go out to eat, etc. 90% of the time I use a coupon code, cash back, and I almost always shop sales. Never retail price.

Today I got an extra $5 gift card at ihop. It's not a lot but the little things do add up. Why spend more if you don't have to? I do splurge every now and then but for the most part I'm frugal. For this month I saved about $80 so far with discounts and coupon codes. I think it might be interesting to see how much I saved at the end of the year.

Does anyone keep track of how much they save?
I don't do it, but I think it's a great idea. I'm frugal, but not very disciplined about keeping track of such things. I use coupons and discounts whenever I can, and I live within my means. It would be interesting to see how much I save each year because of various discounts. Best discount I've received so far was over $100 saved on a pair of eyeglasses at Target Optical, which gives a 30% discount to AARP members.

My bank has a cool "round up" feature. Whenever I use my debit card (which is for almost every purchase I make), the amount debited is rounded by my bank to the next dollar and the change goes into my savings account. It can be as little as 1 cent or as much as 99 cents. It really adds up during the course of a year. I keep track of it online to see how much I'm saving each month.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 12-23-2011, 11:31 PM

917 posts, read 2,009,772 times
I never used Quicken before but I always hear of people using mint.com.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ8 View Post
I don't do it, but I think it's a great idea. I'm frugal, but not very disciplined about keeping track of such things. I use coupons and discounts whenever I can, and I live within my means. It would be interesting to see how much I save each year because of various discounts. Best discount I've received so far was over $100 saved on a pair of eyeglasses at Target Optical, which gives a 30% discount to AARP members.

My bank has a cool "round up" feature. Whenever I use my debit card (which is for almost every purchase I make), the amount debited is rounded by my bank to the next dollar and the change goes into my savings account. It can be as little as 1 cent or as much as 99 cents. It really adds up during the course of a year. I keep track of it online to see how much I'm saving each month.
I like the round up feature. I wish my bank did that,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Another poster mentioned (I remember reading somewhere on CD) ... that they took their coupon and discount savings, put it in a piggy bank and once a month deposited the piggy bank cash in a bank savings account.

Ie, if their grocery receipt said "You've saved $9.82", when they got home, they put that amount in the pig.
I was thinking about doing this as well. It would be nice to see how much money I saved at the end of the year.

Old 12-24-2011, 07:53 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,727,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
Not in that sense. I keep a budget, so I know my cash flow every month. But I don't track savings on individual items.
Same here. We have a spreadsheet set up to budget how our paychecks are divided to various items such as mortgage, utility bills, groceries, savings (long term and short term for thing like vacations), disposable income, etc. But we don't track individual purchases.

Old 12-26-2011, 01:57 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,372,060 times
I don't have a spreadsheet but I do have weekly budget sheets that I use and look over to compare month to month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living