Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 08:46 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,098,836 times

Advertisements

Does frugality interfere with social relationships for a single person? What happens when you ask a girl out for a date, and then say you don't have a car, can she come and pick you up? Or do you take her to an unlicensed restaurant, so she can't order drinks, or the 5 oclock movie to get the early-bird discount.

Or do you just not have a social life, because taking a girl out costs more than you saved with 6 months of coupon clipping. And clipping coupons is a bigger turn-on than any girl you know.

Somehow, in spite of frugality, I always managed to do OK---I guess because there are enough girls who have a sense of humor, and they're the best kind anyway. The kind who thinks an amusing date is to go to dealerships and test-drive sports cars, or try on funny clothes at Goodwill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 01:16 PM

5,546 posts, read 10,012,349 times
What social life? I have so many bills I cannot afford a social life. My social life consists of talking with the other volunteers where I volunteer, my weekly session with my therapist (sliding fee scale) and my nightly date with Thomas Gibson on Criminal Minds. Pathetic, I know. Oh, and I go to a women's group that I might drop, as it's not doing much for me in terms of figuring out to do with the second half of my life.

Dating? Pfft. I always get the guys who are broke so forget that.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:35 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,503,180 times
I'm not frugal with my dates, I'm frugal with my everyday expenses. I'm still driving the same (fuel efficient) car I got new for my 16th birthday in the 90s. (and it's still running almost like new at 150,000 miles.) When my gf found my coupons, she confronted me why I didn't use them when I took her out, then pointed at coupon wanting to go there (and use it.)

Old 03-23-2011, 02:42 PM

5,546 posts, read 10,012,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
I'm not frugal with my dates, I'm frugal with my everyday expenses. I'm still driving the same (fuel efficient) car I got new for my 16th birthday in the 90s. (and it's still running almost like new at 150,000 miles.) When my gf found my coupons, she confronted me why I didn't use them when I took her out, then pointed at coupon wanting to go there (and use it.)
She's a keeper.

And I do not mean to diss broke guys. I just get the ones who say "I really want NY strip steak (or whatever it is that is $10 a lb) and why don't you go get it since you have more time than I do?" Translation - why don't you go pay for it? Of course, I end up paying for it with no chipping in. Or at least I used to when money wasn't such an issue.

I think coupons are great and I'd never mind going out with someone who would use them.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:51 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,922,432 times
I'm not frugal when it comes to going out with the guys or taking a girl out. It doesn't happen very often so usually I'll go all out and have a good time.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:09 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,070,909 times
I don't enjoy spending a lot of money when we don't really have it to spend. I love coupons and deals, even when I have money!

Got a great coupon deal and used it last night. $11.88 for dinner for two. We had 16oz t-bones, baked potatoes, and carrots. Two diet sodas. I didn't have room for my potato so I took it home and will take it to work for lunch tomorrow. The dogs got the bones.

The best thing is, we each got one of the coupons so we get to do it again next week. You can't BUY 2 16oz t-bones for $11.88 at the grocery store!

Old 03-28-2011, 11:19 AM

88,693 posts, read 85,050,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Does frugality interfere with social relationships for a single person? What happens when you ask a girl out for a date, and then say you don't have a car, can she come and pick you up? Or do you take her to an unlicensed restaurant, so she can't order drinks, or the 5 oclock movie to get the early-bird discount.

Or do you just not have a social life, because taking a girl out costs more than you saved with 6 months of coupon clipping. And clipping coupons is a bigger turn-on than any girl you know.

Somehow, in spite of frugality, I always managed to do OK---I guess because there are enough girls who have a sense of humor, and they're the best kind anyway. The kind who thinks an amusing date is to go to dealerships and test-drive sports cars, or try on funny clothes at Goodwill.
I don't date anymore, and I'm a female, but if some man asked me to do those things, I'd think he was a lot of fun.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:49 AM

1,369 posts, read 3,313,896 times
In big cities, you can go to really good, well rated, super cheap ethnic places that serve delicious and authentic food. Not only are they cheap dates, you receive instant credibility as a cultured foodie who knows his stuff, and many women find that a pretty attractive quality.

Old 03-29-2011, 05:57 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,833,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

Bring her over and her friend and have a 3some. No cost for me.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:05 PM

1,549 posts, read 4,261,324 times
Interesting thread. I am not totally frugal but my boyfriend and I have managed to go out on dates that cost less that $20....we even have some that are less than $10....
Some things we do have been listed above such as going out and test driving cars for fun. I personally like going to Target and taking pictures of the trendy tee-shirts with me pointing at them or me putting on silly hats in the store. We often "walk and talk" in the mall, spend time going to the beach, cook at home, etc..

Last year I wanted to go out with this guy but he didn't have a car.....I was willing to drive and I was ok with going to my favorite burrito place since one $4 burrito is 2 meals but alas....he wasn't interested in me...UNTIL I got a boyfriend..LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living