Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 12:15 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
What about stores like Walmart and H.E.B? What about coupons off advertised deals? Are most coupons on the Internet?
walmart accepts coupons, im not familiar with h.e.b. walmart doesnt double the coupon but they generally have pretty low prices so i would use a coupon there if its expiring soon, im going to get the product one way or another and there are no better deals at my local grocery stores. i always go through the circulars every week for all my local stores.

i get a lot of coupons online at those coupon sites, at the manufacturer web sites and i also get the sunday paper. the less married to any particular product you are the easier it will be to take advantage of coupons. one good thing coupons has done for me is added more variety. coupons are usually better to use on smaller products so i get a lot of different small products where i used to buy more stuff in bulk at costco.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 12:28 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,804,334 times
Retail me not is a good website or you can just go to the manufacturer's website.

Costco and Sam's Club sells the items in bulks. You can't store items long if they are going to expire.

Last edited by Beretta; 06-29-2011 at 05:44 PM..

Old 06-29-2011, 12:43 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Costco and Sam's Club sells the items in bulks. You can't store items long if they are going to expire.
thats mainly an issue with fresh fruits, veggies and dairy. most stuff lasts long enough that i rarely ever throw anything out because of expiration.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:17 PM

20,716 posts, read 19,357,373 times
Coupons are like a pass on a Disney ride in the fantasy world the industrial complex has created. Its like a payout on a slot machine as the odds against you slowly sap your wealth. Its their game, not yours. Sure, use a coupon on something you would buy anyway but no more.

If coupon clipping is a prime example of frugality, as I so often see here, then humanity has become perversely dependent like ants following a chemical trail.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:52 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,546,706 times
I guess I just don't get it. Most of the coupons I see require you to buy 2 or 3 of the item to get the $1 off. Coupons used to be an incentive to try a product you have never used before but I won't buy it if I have to get 2 or 3.

Old 06-29-2011, 05:02 PM

14,466 posts, read 20,644,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
I guess I just don't get it. Most of the coupons I see require you to buy 2 or 3 of the item to get the $1 off. Coupons used to be an incentive to try a product you have never used before but I won't buy it if I have to get 2 or 3.
I almost never see a coupon that requires you to buy more than one item.

Occasionally I see $1/2

but most are $.50/1 or .75/1 or $1/1.
It all depends on where you get your coupons. I get mine from Sunday newspaper inserts and other sources.

Let me revise my previous comment.
You won't have much success using the coupons that are $1/2 items or $1/3 items.
Stick to "anything off ONE item."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
Here is a list of the coupons that will be in this Sunday's paper, only one insert due to the holiday. As you can see there are only 3-4 coupons that require you to buy more than one item.

I stick to food coupons, so nothing below that I'll use.

7/3 P&G
(Expire 7/31/11)
Always $.50/1 Pads, Clean or Feminie Cleansing Cloths
Always $.50/1 Pantiliner 30ct+
Always $1/1 Infinity 14ct+
Bounce $.50/1 dryer bar
Bounce/Downy $.35/1 sheets
Bounty $.25/1 napkins
Bounty $.25/1 towels or napkins
Cascade $1/1
Cascade $1/1 rinse aid
Charmin $.25/1
Clairol $1/1 hair color
Clairol $3/1 Nice ‘n Easy color blend foam or Perfect 10 hair color
Covergirl $1/1
Covergirl $2.50/2
Crest $.75/1 4oz+ toothpaste
Crest $.75/1 rinse 440mL+
Crest $5/1 3D White Advanced Vivid, Stain Shield, or Gentle Routine Whitestrips
Crest $7/1 3D White Professional Effects or 2 Hour Express Whitestrips
Downy $1/1 liquid fabric softener
Duracell $.50/1 Coppertop, Ultra Advanced, Ultra Photo Lithium or specialty batteries
Duracell $1.50/1 rechargeable batteries or charger or 6-pack+ hearing aid batteries
Febreze $.50/1 air effects
Febreze $.50/1 Set & Refresh
Febreze Buy one fabric refresher, get one air effects free up to $3.29
Febreze Buy one NOTICEables refill, get one NOTICEables warmer free up to $3.29
Gillette $1/1 body wash
Gillette $2/1 deodorant ets
Gillette $2/1 Mach3 disposable 3ct, Sensor3 4ct or Custom Plus3 4ct
Gillette $2/1 manual or power Fusion ProGlide razor
Gillette $3/1 Mach3 cartridge
Gillette $3/1 Mach3 disposable 6ct, Sensor3 8ct or Custom Plus3 8ct
Gillette $4/1 Fusion cartridge including ProGlide 4ct+
Head & Shoulders B1G1 free shampoo or conditioner up to $12.99 ets
Herbal Essences/Aussie $3 off styler when you purchase any product ets
Ivory $.50/1 bar or body wash or Safeguard bar or liquid hand soap
Metamucil $1/1
Olay $1/2 bars, body washes, in-shower body lotions or hand & body lotions ets
Olay $3/1 Pro-X, Regenerist or Total Effects facial moisturizer or facial cleanser (excludes Pro-X cleansing device and refills and trial sizes)
Old Spice $1/2
Old Spice Buy one Fresh Collection or Red Zone product, get one body spray free up to $5.39
Oral-B $.75/1 floss or floss picks 30ct+
Oral-B $2/1 Pulsar, CrossAction, Advantage, or 2 Indicator or Cavity Defense manual toothbrushes
Pampers $1.50/1 limited edition prints diapers or splashers swim pants
Pampers $1.50/2 bags or 1 box of diapers or pants
Pantene $1/2 ets
Pepto $.50/1
Secret $1/2 ets
Tampax $.50/1 18ct+
Tampax $1/1 Pearl or Compak Pearl 18ct+
Tide $.35/1 Tide To Go
Tide $.50/1 detergent
Tide $.50/1 washing machine cleaner
Tide $1.50/1 Stain Release 26-50oz powder, 15-34ct duo pac or 36-68oz liquid
Tide .50/1 stain release
Venus $2/1 razor or disposables razor
Venus $2/1 refill

Last edited by Beretta; 06-29-2011 at 05:44 PM..

Old 06-29-2011, 06:02 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,491,185 times
Mod Note: PLEASE use the Multi Quoting feature when posting. Back to back posts are not desired. A tutorial on multi quoting can be found here: https://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/8...se-quotes.html

Old 06-29-2011, 08:41 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,322,690 times
I haven't looked on the web for coupons, because I already have more than enough junk email. We get a batch of circulars a couple times/week, and one thing I've noticed is that while all the grocery stores have specials, they no longer have coupons. You have to go to a particular store to get the special price - and more often than not, you have to get a store card (free, I think) to get any of the special prices advertised. We just got back from a short run and saved 11.30 on store specials, and the total was 41.+, so without the store card it would have been 52.+. Good enough for me. And while the store says it honors manufacturer's coupons, I've never seen one.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:45 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
My Mom used to do this... and yes, she would walk out of Vons with $300++ of groceries for under $50. The majority of it was toiletry supplies, but I haven't had to buy toothpaste, toothbrushes, soap or deodorant ...well....ever. Neither has my brother or sister, we call it 'Mini Costco'

Unfortunately, it also took her many hours on a Saturday to hunt down and put together a shopping list so she doesn't do it anymore.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:29 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,282,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
I haven't looked on the web for coupons, because I already have more than enough junk email. We get a batch of circulars a couple times/week, and one thing I've noticed is that while all the grocery stores have specials, they no longer have coupons. You have to go to a particular store to get the special price - and more often than not, you have to get a store card (free, I think) to get any of the special prices advertised. We just got back from a short run and saved 11.30 on store specials, and the total was 41.+, so without the store card it would have been 52.+. Good enough for me. And while the store says it honors manufacturer's coupons, I've never seen one.
I don't know which stores you shop at, but Fry's has electronic coupons (sign up with loyalty card on their website) and will mail you coupons, Safeway puts store coupons in their circulars, and the weekly circulars usually come with a coupon insert, too. Oh, we're on the Northwest side of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living