Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 03:05 PM

18,082 posts, read 15,670,593 times

Advertisements

Yummmm! I have made that version of chili. It's really tasty.

Today was my final day. I'm not sad at all to leave the job, but I am sad to not have a paycheck coming in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 07:33 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,941,676 times
I have saved a lot of money by going to the cheaper or "discount" supermarkets. Here in Philadelphia they include Aldi's and Sav-A-Lot. Some supermarkets - the fancy upscale ones - are lovely and tempting but the price of groceries are just too high. $19.95 a pound for cheese ... give me a break!

If you have diabetes, you are correct in trying to avoid carbs. Carbs are the enemy to diabetics. They raise your blood sugars.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:37 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,829,224 times
I don't know about where you live but here we have local farmer's markets in which produce is sold cheaper than elsewhere. Other than that, are there dollar-stores or the like where you live? If so I would look into buying anything you can (doesn't have to be food) there and the rest elsewhere. It'll help the bills somewhat anyway.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:59 PM

We have Aldi's here (in NC) which I use all the time. I am lowering my grocery bill by purchasing far fewer convenience food items and cooking from scratch, simple things. And of course I've cut out stopping off for fast food, which is really quite costly, considering what one gets.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:16 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
Chicken Quarters (thigh and leg attached) is nearly cheapest meat in the grocery store. I can catch it for $.79/lb on sale.

Boil it in a pot of water. The chicken will be "fall off the bone" tender. You can season with lemon pepper or BBQ on your plate after you take it out of the pot. Then use the broth for other recipes(replace the broth for water when cooking rice and other whole grains).

Chicken broth from the store is pricey and this way you are making it for nearly nothing. And it isn't loaded with sodium.

Ditto about Super Value store or ALDI if they are near you. You can save a lot of money by shopping at these stores. I found that ALDI has mostly odd brands made for them. But I tried many of these items and have been very satisfied with the quality and taste and the price cannot be beat.

Old 08-11-2011, 06:41 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isabella20 View Post
I agree with those of you who mentioned soups as a good, cheap food that lasts for a while and is good to freeze. Along the same line, I make chili. I don't have an exact recipe, but here's how I make it...

Saute an onion, a few cloves of garlic in a little extra virgin olive oil, then add 1/2 to a pound (you could use less, or none at all and make a vegetarian version) of hamburger (I use beef with the lowest fat), then add stewed tomatoes and kidney beans ( I think I have used a can or two of each). Then add chili powder, oregano and a little bit of salt. Just add a bit at a time and keep tasting until you like it. Let it simmer for 1 - 2 hours. It makes quite a bit and like soups it freezes well.

I'm sure there are many chili recipes that are great, but that's what I do. Chili is really forgiving...if you add too much of one thing you can add some more of another to offset your "error". Eventually, you find out how you like it.
Soup you make yourself is so good you'll never want to buy it again.

Buy the big, cheap bag of chicken legs and thighs. Package them two to a package and stick in the freezer. They are good to just cook, but wonderful for soup. Even if a little dry they make fine soup.

When you make them for soup, put the two chicknen quarters in a pan with water. Boil until the skin will come off. Pull out the chicken and check if the meat is cooked, and when it is pull it off to save. Put the bones back in, add water and cook longer, as long as you can and you get a good marrow tasted and nutrition. This is the base. pour it into little yogurt sized cups and put it in the freezer. The fat will come to the surface but don't remove it until using it for it protects the stock from freezer drying. Leave it in the cups but put in a freezer bag when solid.

When you do the soup, put a cup of stock in a sauce pan and melt. Add onions cut very small, and cook until they are almost done. Add garlic. Cut your other vegies small too, so they cook faster. You can make it extra good by adding a little tomato sauce for sweetness, and thickness, and a dash of balsamic vineger. You dont need the aged. It gives it a sweet/sour flavor which is delicious. Add to it the flavors you like. I don't salt it but use a little tereiky instead.

Precook rice or noodles, then add to the hot soup so the flavors haven't been absorbed. You'll find you have soup which is exceptionally cheap and easy to do. You can freeze it with the vegies but do not put in potatoes. Potatoes as they thaw turn to mush.

Add back some of the meat too, cut up in chunks, or other meat. But don't freeze it with the meat or it turns to shreads. Freeze the cooked meat sealed tight in a wrap just wet enought it isn't dripping with the base by itself in small enough packets you thaw one per soup making.

This is a major budget stretcher I use all the time.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:15 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
Lottamoxie: This is slightly off topic, as it isn't about food. Since you are out of work, call your auto insurance agent and modify your policy to remove the commute to/from work. Removing the work commute will make your rate go down, especially if the commute was long.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:43 AM

My commute was very short (5 mi) and I worked from home more than half the time. ;-D. But yes, this is a great tip!!

Old 08-18-2011, 07:24 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
I eat alot of lentils. Lentils are full of protein, and very low cost. I cook them plain, keep them in the fridge, and add them to a can of creamed corn, excellent dinner with seasoning. I shop at Wal-Mart, and eat oatmeal for breakfast, that has protein in it too, oatmeal is the cheapest breakfast food. My big problem has been eating vegetables, they are too expensive fresh, so I buy frozen. I buy mainly apples, and bananas for fruit. I do eat ramen for dinner, at .18 a package, it really can't be beat. I usually cook 2 packages.

Life sucks when you count food as luxury item. I can't remember the last time I had meat. And I am not vegetarian!

Old 08-19-2011, 04:02 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Today was my final day. I'm not sad at all to leave the job, but I am sad to not have a paycheck coming in.
Hopefully they will forget to cancel your automatic deposit. I was hoping for that (when I left work 6+ yrs ago).

but... the checks seemed to stop much faster than the 'bleeding' .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living