Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2011, 11:02 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,171,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebola View Post
YES! YES! YES! Food prices in my area (Upstate NY) having been rising steadily over the past 6 months.

Yesterday I went grocery shopping and I noticed:

1. Milk - gallon went up $1 in a week. $2.19 last week, $3.19 this week. It has been averaging $2.00 a gallon for a year. (NY is a milk state)

2. Potato Chips - store brand - $1.99 two weeks ago, $3.29 last week, $2.99 this week.

3. Ice cream - average price is $6.29 for a half gallon for name brand (I don't think they are really half gallons anymore) - $3.99 for store brand. A year ago ice cream averaged around $4.99 for name brand and $1.99 for store brand.

4. Bread - store brand white bread last week $1.19 a loaf, this week $1.29 a loaf.

5. Crackers - a year ago name brand crackers averaged $2.50-$3.99 a box, now the average is $4.99 a box.

6. Cereal - 6 months ago I could get store brand corn flakes for $1.99 a box. This week $2.99 a box.

7. Cheese - 8 oz block name brand averages this week around $3.50 ($2.50 on sale). I used to be able to get name brand cheese on sale for $2.00 a block 6 months ago.

8. Bakery Goods - have increased substantially the past 6 months. I used to be able to get store baked italian bread for $.99 a loaf, now it is $1.99 a loaf when on sale $2.19 a loaf regular price.

9. Potatoes - this week $2.50 for a 5lb bag on sale - $3.99 regular price. A year ago potatoes averaged $1.99 for a 5lb bag - regular price.

10. Meat - other than chicken, prices are getting too high for me to afford. $5.99 a pound for ground beef? I don't think so.

Needless to say, I have been buying less and less food each week at the grocery store. A year ago my spending averaged $30 a week for groceries, now I am averaging $20 a week for groceries. The more food prices go up the less I buy, kind of strange how that works.
Wow, that hamburger price must have been a fluke at that one store. I've lived in the Utica area, and generally speaking the prices in upstate NY were somewhat cheaper than any other places I've lived. Especially pasta. The other prices you listed are reasonable.

I just bought some supposedly diet-lean hamburger for $3/lb ..... maybe you could get a better price at a larger supermarket?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 01:52 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,665,551 times
I've seen it. Seems like most items are $ 3-4/piece. Some sales every week, but it doesn't seem to make up for escalating costs. I honestly don't know what families w/ kids do. And, we only eat chicken (organic) and fish as far as "meat." Lots of veggie dishes mostly.

And, when I buy a candy bar, occasionally, I'll split it w/ my husband and we both get maybe 3 bites. Funny. We try to decrease our sugar consumption, but w/ these candy bars, not much to worry about!!

Old 11-06-2011, 02:07 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,171,154 times
Well, I can see a high price if it's organic meat rather than factory farmed, that's to be expected. But here in California organic veggies are often not much more expensive than conventional.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:02 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,665,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Well, I can see a high price if it's organic meat rather than factory farmed, that's to be expected. But here in California organic veggies are often not much more expensive than conventional.
Trader Joe's has organic chicken cheaper than anything. 2 1/2# for 7 bucks and no abx or hormones. But, if it were not for them....probably 7 bucks for 1 #.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:08 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,958,729 times
Anecdotal examples do not prove anything. The biggest single cost for a family is housing. Over the last three-years, housing prices fell.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:26 AM

505 posts, read 716,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Anecdotal examples do not prove anything. The biggest single cost for a family is housing. Over the last three-years, housing prices fell.
But I haven't bought a new house in 7 years and then I paid cash. It really doesn't matter to me until I go to sell it which hopefully will be a long time from now. I did buy groceries this week and will again next week. Month to month my expenses have been increasing do to food increase.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:55 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,721,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
also, if someone sold a house they took that lose on their sale. so many people arent able to benefit from that decrease. i guess renters and first home buyers were the best positioned to benefit from that drop.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:01 PM

29,835 posts, read 24,927,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
also, if someone sold a house they took that lose on their sale. so many people arent able to benefit from that decrease. i guess renters and first home buyers were the best positioned to benefit from that drop.
You would think so, but a house ties you down. No jobs seem to be secure anymore. That is why I choose to rent. If I lost my job, I could have another one lined up fairly quickly, but trying to find one near an anchor (house)??? Yea, that would be a different story. And your likely to loose your job during local downturns, so finding one in your area would be even harder, because everyone else is trying to do the same! There is a reason housing prices are so low... Even at these prices, it would not be adventitious for young people like me to think about owning a home. We are likely going to become a nation of renters, just like many predicted. The government can do whatever they want to encourage us to buy a house, it wouldn't change my mind until this economy sorts itself out.

Old 11-09-2011, 03:34 PM

15,145 posts, read 27,805,301 times
I am a huge tea drinker (Lipton in the mornings and 4-5 cups) - I stock up when it's on sale for usually between $1.99-$2.50 per box (100 bags) - this weeks "sale" at a local grocery - $4.19!!!

Old 11-09-2011, 04:31 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,958,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I am a huge tea drinker (Lipton in the mornings and 4-5 cups) - I stock up when it's on sale for usually between $1.99-$2.50 per box (100 bags) - this weeks "sale" at a local grocery - $4.19!!!
Ok, so how much of you spend annually on tea? At 5 cups a day, 100 bags would last 20 days. At $1.99/100 or 10 cents per day or $36.50/yr. At $4.19, it's $76.47/yr or $40 more a year -- for someone who drinks 5 cups a day! I'd contend that this makes very little impact on a family's annual budget considering the wide fluctuation of other items, like fuel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living