Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 06:52 PM

1,143 posts, read 2,873,297 times

Advertisements

I second the thrift shop option. Consignment shops are popping up everywhere as well. A few new blouses, a sweater and vest can really increase your wardrobe options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 09:04 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,275,815 times
Do you have a Ross or TJ Maxx in your area? I found a pair of knee high boots for 30 bucks at Ross that were in a designer store (Dillards) for over $100.

When I lost weight, I created my entire wardrobe from Ross. They sell it all, from underwear to accessories to shoes and purses. They even sell housewares. I get compliments on a sweater I bought there two years ago for....$7.99. I carry cash and leave the checkbook and credit/debit cards at home to curb my spending.

Old 10-10-2011, 02:02 PM

156 posts, read 717,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCL111 View Post
Consignment, Goodwill, and thrift stores! Plenty of great deals to add a little to your wardrobe at minimal cost.
THIS! Found a Michael Kors trenchcoat at Gwill for $15.00...found the same one online for $300+! My closet is filled with name brand (not Target or Kohls brand) classic clothes that I've gotten at Goodwill for $3-4 each!

Old 10-10-2011, 02:11 PM

4,213 posts, read 4,739,562 times
^I could shop with you

OP, I love Goodwill and thrift stores. Also, Ebay.

Sometimes when I'm in a store, I'll try on something I like and decide it's probably not worth the price. I take a pic of the tag with my cell phone. I look up the UPC/brand/style name&#/etc from off of the tag on Ebay - often times I will find the same exact item at a fraction of the cost. Sometimes just googling it will give you a website that has it on sale/on clearance....

If I buy something online, I save the pictures of it (and the description of it via screen grab, if possible). When I'm tired of it, I sell it on Ebay. This works for items that are popular/have well known brands. Ie, I bought a Free People Romper from online; originally priced at around $120 for $30. I'm selling it on Ebay as we speak and intend to make very close to the amount I paid for it back. Will probably buy another severely discounted but popular brand name item once it sells to replace it...

Old 10-10-2011, 02:14 PM

4,213 posts, read 4,739,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampbird View Post
Depends on what you consider "cheap" - I consider a dress under $25.00 cheap, and can usually find that on penney's website under the clearance section. I would rather shop clearance than buy used clothes.
Depends on where you live I think....the Goodwill on the 'ritsy' side of town in my area has good finds a lot of the time...

Recently bought a gorgeous cream colored GAP blazer that retailed for over $50-paid about $5

Bought a brand new blazer with $149 tags from Macys (forgot the brand! INC maybe?) for about $10

Bought a beautiful sash-tie black romper by French Connection for like $5-no tags but looks like it was never even worn; it's my favorite item in my closet and French Connection isn't cheap...

All of these items^ are in new or like new condition for sure...

Old 10-10-2011, 04:38 PM

156 posts, read 717,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampbird View Post
Depends on what you consider "cheap" - I consider a dress under $25.00 cheap, and can usually find that on penney's website under the clearance section. I would rather shop clearance than buy used clothes.
I'd rather have a Ralph Lauren dress that is classic/stylish and will last for years for $5.00 from Goodwill than a no-name dress from Penney's that costs $25.00. It's helping a charity, and keeping stuff out of the landfill. Once you wash it or have it dry cleaned, it's good as new...at least to me. But everyone is different...that's what makes the world go 'round!

Old 10-10-2011, 05:46 PM

5,331 posts, read 8,540,802 times
How much on average do most of you spend on clothes per month? Or maybe, better yet, what percentage of your net income per month do you spend on average?

I am good at finding deals...I think I am struggling with how much I should be spending on average on clothes.

Old 10-10-2011, 06:58 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,052,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E E View Post
Technically, I have enough clothes in my wardrobe. I work in an office on average 4 days per week and need slightly above business casual for that setting.

But I am bored with many of my clothes. And I don't have a huge wardrobe.

I've had some of my items for years. Surprisingly, some of my cheapest clothes are the ones that have lasted for 3-6 or more years. These are still in good condition and do not look out of style or out of date- classics like black work pants, white blouses, etc.

I'm trying to put more money into savings these days, so I'm fighting the temptation to buy more clothes.

I realize its simply due to being bored with much of the stuff I have, its not an actual need.

One of my weaknesses is shopping on-line. Its so easy to browse sites and find great clothing, sent to my door step with just a click of the mouse.

I wait for sales and buy in quantities so I always get free shipping. I also shop at stores I can return for free too.

I'm looking for any suggestions to help me resist these urges.
When Penny's puts clothes on deep discount, they are really pretty cheap. Keep in mind that in an office environment your appearance is part of your performance - you have to look the part or you are not really doing your job right.

Keep in mind too that outerwear can be had at 2nd hand shops - the ones in the posher parts of town can be goldmines.

Easier for a guy to pull off, but try to buy classic, timeless clothing rather than something trendy.

A lot of women's clothes are badly put together, and don't last well. Guys would complain, but the gals don't. Go figure. Maybe they like having an excuse to shop some more.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:46 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,049,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Easier for a guy to pull off, but try to buy classic, timeless clothing rather than something trendy.

A lot of women's clothes are badly put together, and don't last well. Guys would complain, but the gals don't. Go figure. Maybe they like having an excuse to shop some more.

Concerning shopping, these were a few valuable lessons I learned from some of the very well dressed women in Europe (one is a very beautiful and well-known actress; I just happened to live in her hometown and knew her parents):

- Never skimp on quality.

- Always buy clothes that will suit all occasions (so to be worn often), and each item should last a decade or more. Choose colours and styles with this in mind.

- Never have more clothes than a month's worth of days to wear them. My mentors taught me that most women do not need more than 31 items in their wardrobes, and that number indicates clothes, shoes and handbags altogether.

- Scarves, scarves, scarves. Scarves do not count toward the magic number and should always be a part of every outfit.

In the 11 years since I took the lessons to heart, I still have not needed to replace anything I own (except scarves, which I knitted and added more to the stash all the time.) Instead, the tally of items in my wardrobe now is only 1/10 of its previous size. Yes, I did pay good money for whatever left in my closet, but they have lasted me a decade and will serve me another decade without making me look out of date (after that, I'll be 68 and perhaps sheath dresses wouldn't work well anymore. But then again, they still might, since the style has been around and well received for 60 years.) If ever I feel I must have one or two extra pieces of clothing in the future, I will search for sales and quality, but at the same time, I would not hesitate to pay more for something that will stay with me for 20 years to come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E E View Post
I realize its simply due to being bored with much of the stuff I have, its not an actual need.

I'm looking for any suggestions to help me resist these urges.
If being bored with your clothes can cause distress when you get dressed in the morning, then it's something that should be corrected. I don't think the urges were bad if giving in to them now and then would help to enhance your outlook in life and improve your job performance.

Shop less, but shop well, then you wouldn't feel guilty about spending money on your clothes.

Last edited by Ol' Wanderer; 10-10-2011 at 10:23 PM..

Old 10-11-2011, 03:27 AM

1,289 posts, read 3,034,760 times
My local thrift store has "dollar day" on Thursdays. Each piece is a $1.00. Check your local thrift stores and see if they have anything like that. For $1.00 a piece you can't go wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living