Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 04:26 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,054,248 times

Advertisements

I just had to send a 16 oz booklet via USPS from San Antonio to Vernon, Calif (Los Angeles). It was sent after 7 PM on thursday and is guaranteed to get there by 3 on Saturday for the price of $18-19, thereabouts.
I went to local Fedex to price it. The same kind of delivery was $52!

I know that many ppl rag on the USPS, but it is still more affordable than anything else, at least in my situation.

Anybody have an experience where Fedex is the least expensive option?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2011, 04:33 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,315,531 times
We do a lot of shipping, mostly in the US, but some international. For the most part, considering time, size, and weight of package, USPS wins. For some of the larger packages, we do better with FedEx or UPS - they are mostly neck & neck on pricing, but FedEx wins our business more often than UPS.

For international, it's USPS all the way. Our international customers specifically ask us not to use UPS.

Old 12-23-2011, 05:01 PM

16,413 posts, read 30,426,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I just had to send a 16 oz booklet via USPS from San Antonio to Vernon, Calif (Los Angeles). It was sent after 7 PM on thursday and is guaranteed to get there by 3 on Saturday for the price of $18-19, thereabouts.
I went to local Fedex to price it. The same kind of delivery was $52!

I know that many ppl rag on the USPS, but it is still more affordable than anything else, at least in my situation.

Anybody have an experience where Fedex is the least expensive option?

It depends on your negotiated rates with the various carriers and the service that you want. In a lot of cases, FEDEX is cheaper than the USPS rate and I have had a lot better experience with the product arriving in good shape.

My problem with using USPS, especially the counter service, is that you take an identical parcel sent to the same city to the post office to three different postal employees in the same office and you will get three different rates. And that is after a 15-20 minute wait.

FEDEX is never the cheapest option for Saturday delivery. It is a service that they do offer but they price it so as to discourage its use.

Old 12-23-2011, 05:08 PM

A postal scale, an online visit to usps.com, and a printer will solve that problem. You also get a 5% discount for printing your own shipping label online. We virtually never go to the post office, and we ship a lot. They also pick up for free, unlike FedEx and UPS.

Old 12-23-2011, 05:10 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,976,796 times
I always use USPS. In the small town where I live, Fedex has no presence so its a hassle trying to use them. UPS does have a presence but are invariably more expensive than USPS.

Old 12-24-2011, 09:08 AM

42,410 posts, read 87,274,644 times
I have received a number of things that, according to the tracking, Fed Ex or UPS simply collected, and then mailed (USPS) to their delivery center here, then brought it over in their truck.

One day I was in the post office, when the UPS delivery truck brought a box of stamps for the post office to sell. Even the post office ships their stuff by UPS. (It's like when you phone AT&T, the first message you hear tells you that for more efficient communications, hang up and log into att.com.)

The thing I don't like about UPS and Fed Ex ground, is that wherever the package is at 5-pm Friday, that's exactly where it is at 8-am Monday. I believe the post office moves and sorts on weekends, at least on Saturdays.

Last edited by jtur88; 12-24-2011 at 09:18 AM..

Old 12-24-2011, 09:47 AM

18,484 posts, read 15,933,085 times
Well for now they (USPS) do, but I am dreading when the USPS goes to M-F service only. It's only a matter of time...

Old 12-24-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Well for now they (USPS) do, but I am dreading when the USPS goes to M-F service only. It's only a matter of time...
That could put off for quite a while if Congress would fix the screw-up they made (at UPS' behest) in 2006.

Old 12-24-2011, 01:40 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,351,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
They've talked about suspending Saturday delivery (which I would be all in favor of if they would expand their window hours on Saturday when most people have time to go there) but not weekend transit that I'm aware of.

I despise FedEx. Their GPS tells them that my address should be in the next block and they refuse to acknowledge that it's a mistake on their part.

Old 12-25-2011, 10:08 AM

238 posts, read 1,507,916 times
I hate Fedex and UPS. Use the USPS almost exclusively. They are a third to half the cost of the other two for what i ship. Only negative is lack of tracking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living