Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 12:12 PM

179 posts, read 141,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy444 View Post
I hate Fedex and UPS. Use the USPS almost exclusively. They are a third to half the cost of the other two for what i ship. Only negative is lack of tracking.
Yes!! I have received packages that I paid FedEx/UPS shipping and handling...and my mail-lady (USPS) ended up dropping them off. And tracking will soon be available for all packages (according to the USPS website). I don't think FedEx or UPS will ship a package from, say Guam to Maine for under $6
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2011, 12:17 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I just had to send a 16 oz booklet via USPS from San Antonio to Vernon, Calif (Los Angeles). It was sent after 7 PM on thursday and is guaranteed to get there by 3 on Saturday for the price of $18-19, thereabouts.
I went to local Fedex to price it. The same kind of delivery was $52!

I know that many ppl rag on the USPS, but it is still more affordable than anything else, at least in my situation.

Anybody have an experience where Fedex is the least expensive option?
If it was a booklet, you could have sent it media mail for about $2.00, provided you didnt need a guaranteed delivery time/day.

Old 12-25-2011, 12:18 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy444 View Post
I hate Fedex and UPS. Use the USPS almost exclusively. They are a third to half the cost of the other two for what i ship. Only negative is lack of tracking.
Delivery confirmation for online shipping services with USPS through services like endicia/Dazle, is something like $.13..

if you need tracking, pay the extra $.13 and you'll still come out ahead.

Old 12-26-2011, 02:57 AM

176 posts, read 583,914 times
Do a Google search for
shipping calculator
or comparable terms. You will find sites where you enter the weight and location information and will get results of the comparative prices for UPS, Fedex, USPS...

Old 12-26-2011, 11:53 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,123,920 times
Given all the millions and millions of pieces of mail it moves, the number of packages it delivers, and territory it covers - I think the post office gets a bad rap.

I just wish the powers that be would go ahead and raise the cost of a stamp to 50 cents and be done with it.....instead of a penny every year or so. At 50 cents I'd still mail a card or letter. (Maybe I'm a dinosaur, but something I just don't want to say or some news I just don't want delivered by e-mail. There's nothing like a card or letter.)

Old 12-26-2011, 12:07 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
FedEx Home Delivery will deliver on Saturday for no extra charge (home delivery is the equivalent of ground service for residential areas -- FedEx ground only covers business addresses). Often you can time it so it gets delivered on Saturday.

USPS is usually the best option for light items (and heavy items that fit in the flat-rate boxes). While FedEx for everything else. I never see UPS being a good option.

Last edited by NJBest; 12-26-2011 at 12:26 PM..

Old 12-26-2011, 12:22 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,385,103 times
The girl at the local post office put me onto this site. Pretty cool.

ShipGooder: Courier Rate Search, Shipping Rate Search for FedEx, UPS, DHL and the United States Postal Service

Old 12-26-2011, 12:36 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I just had to send a 16 oz booklet via USPS from San Antonio to Vernon, Calif (Los Angeles). It was sent after 7 PM on thursday and is guaranteed to get there by 3 on Saturday for the price of $18-19, thereabouts.
I went to local Fedex to price it. The same kind of delivery was $52!

I know that many ppl rag on the USPS, but it is still more affordable than anything else, at least in my situation.

Anybody have an experience where Fedex is the least expensive option?
You get what you pay for. I made the mistake of choosing the USPS to send a parcel to Portugal and somehow it misrouted to Indonesia and they are still looking for it.

The USPS is beyond inept and inefficient and from now on I will be HAPPY to pay 15 times more if the package will actually GET TO ITS DESTINATION instead of being lost by the post office.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-26-2011, 02:07 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,542,738 times
I've had a tracked package go missing by UPS.

They ended up issuing me a check to replace it - but it was a gift, so it sucked that the recipient never got the card or gift.

I am in favor of USPS cutting back on delivery days. Almost nothing I receive in the mail these days is so time sensitive that I would notice an extra day or two to receive it.

Old 12-26-2011, 02:09 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,282,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
You get what you pay for. I made the mistake of choosing the USPS to send a parcel to Portugal and somehow it misrouted to Indonesia and they are still looking for it.

The USPS is beyond inept and inefficient and from now on I will be HAPPY to pay 15 times more if the package will actually GET TO ITS DESTINATION instead of being lost by the post office.

20yrsinBranson
That's too bad - we've sent packages (all through the USPS) to:

Albania
Jordan
Denmark
UK
Canada
Singapore
Austria
Australia
Hong Kohn
Brazil
Finland
Russia
Russian Federation
Netherlands
Sweden
France
Germany
Italy
Israel

and others I have forgotten. Of those, one was damaged and had to be replaced. This was our fault; we really just didn't pack it well enough. One was lost and had to be refunded.

By contrast, we have had several packages damaged beyond any reasonable expectation by UPS and FedEx - one was so bad, the customer asked why we didn't use a better box. We were confused, since we'd specially bought the box to ship the item!

Point is, any of the services can have a bad moment. Judging all of their service on one incident isn't really fair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living